Notices

Opinions Please on buying a 90,000 mile MY99 with FSSH

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2003, 12:30 AM
GreenGiant
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What things should I check in the service history (FSSH) with a MY99 with 90000 miles. E.g. should the turbo have been replaced?

How many miles would I expect to get from the engine, gearbox, etc.
Old 15 March 2003, 12:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

90k looks like a motorway car to me (and probably to most others) so its been running at its optimum rather than stop start, and if it has fssh its been looked after, so if you dont do alot of miles i dont see why this car should be frowned upon

Tony
Old 15 March 2003, 12:09 PM
GreenGiant
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks Tony.

I do about 25K a year myself and was thinking of getting two cars. A scooby and a fw hot hatch to spread the miles and cost of motoring.

The car i've seen has a prodrive performance pack with 240ish bhp (can't remember exact figure) and I would like to take that figure to 290-300. I understand that a good induction kit, decat pipe, sports exhaust and remap would get the car close to that figure.

I don't know what the prodrive performance pack consists of and would it be possible to do those mods. and get that sort of figure?

If the car has been well looked after and has had everything changed as needed then the mods. would be OK on that sort of mileage - right?

Thanks
Old 15 March 2003, 03:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I run 2 cars (a monditto and the scoob) so i know where your coming from
As for the Performance pack, the best things to do are change the downpipe, ensure it has good brakes (uprated ones are a must) dont add any sort of induction kit as the MAF sensors are very sensitive to change and this in the worst case scenario could lead to engine failure
My MY00 PPP was rolling roaded at 263bhp with the PPP exhaust, back box and scoobymania downpipe, and its pretty quick at that
The PPP itself comprises of a sports exhaust (downpipe back) which includes the removal of the centre cat converter and is replaced with an sti resenator section, a prodrive backbox, some intercooler piping (its blue so you cant miss it) a different size restrictor (which you would have to drill out if you add a downpipe, but its worth it) and the ecu.
If your after 300bhp though, you would need to change the turbo to a larger one, also id go for a front mounted intercooler, a remapped ecu (not the PPP one) and definately the brakes.
The scoob you have looked at should be in excellent condition really, better than some of the ones that just do small journeys everyday as keeping the engine at that maximum temp for a few hundered miles is much better than stop start traffic (also less wear on the gearbox, clutch etc).
I would get the car inspected though, if not for anything but a little less worry about it

Tony
Old 15 March 2003, 06:55 PM
Ianwww
Scooby Newbie

If it has been looked after and the price is right go for it. I bought a 115K MY98 from a friend who had it as a company car and it is fine, I did a lot of research and there are no real weak areas especially on a long distance motorway car with a FSSH. Just make sure the price is right as it might turn out to be tricky to sell...