Notices

Turbo Cool Down

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 03:26 AM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Both ends of my regular journey are the best bit, nice fast A roads with some fun roundabouts and I am just forced to run at FULL boost so as a result I have to sit with the car for ages letting cool down so as not to damage the turbo.

I have been thinking of fitting a turbo timer but I am reluctant due to the issues of leaving the car running and no being able to set my sigma alarm, and don't think it offers enough advantage for the money so I suppose I have already ruled this out

As the principal as I see it is to allow the oil to continue to flow around the turbo until it has cooled down to preserve its life, I was thinking that, an electric oil pump wired to a temp controlled circuit that would cut in after ignition switch off until an acceptable temp is reached, would do the same if not a better job. Also it might be possible to rig it to provide pre start oil pressure and also reduce ware on the engine.

I found an American system made by Dana pumps that seems to be a complete solution but I cant find a UK supplier or any prices, also I would rather make this up from parts, if I can find anybody who knows anything about this, as it would be cheaper

I have found a couple of oil pumps that look suitable at http://www.thinkauto.com/oilpumps.htm/ they are also sold by demon tweeks so should be easily obtainable

What I need is some advice / help on designing the circuit I was thinking this should have input from the ignition (so it is only on when the car is off) input from a thermostat (so it turns off once the oil is cool enough) and also input from the alarm signal (to activate the pre start prime).
Also I need advice on the positioning the pump etc and any other hardware that might be required

On the face of it this would seem to provide a better solution to a common problem, has anybody got any advice or experience on this

Thanks Alistair
Old 10 February 2003, 09:09 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

come on so what is is, put off by the length of the post? or nobody got any idae about this?

I know there are some technical guys out there, get your teeth stuck in

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease

Alistair
Old 10 February 2003, 09:18 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been thinking about something like this myself, I haven't done any research though, keep at it!
Old 11 February 2003, 08:09 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 13 February 2003, 12:50 AM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

bttt
Old 14 February 2003, 10:24 AM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Angry

Right 300 Views and not one reply with any info in it. alright so you guys don't know anything about the subject, but perhaps do any of you know who I should be asking? or a good source of info I could try?

AListair
Old 14 February 2003, 11:11 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can provide no technical knowledge or advise whatsoever but . . . my car has a Turbo Timer as part of the Clifford alarm. Not just being smug but it may be an alternative.
Old 14 February 2003, 12:52 PM
B4 Boy (at work!)
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

This will probably be no help at all but...

We had our Turbo timer fitted due to similair concerns.
We have it set so it calculates the time the engine needs to idle, it is a pain in the backside but it gives us peace of mind that the turbos are cooling down.
As for the security side of things, we dont have a problem with our system, if the keys are removed and the doors are locked manually when the engine turns off, the car is imobilized, this also happens if the handbrake is released. We then unlock it and lock it with the alarm fob.

Its a small sacrifice to make but a worthwhile one!

Matt
Old 15 February 2003, 12:42 AM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Just a few ideas fron glancing over your post.

You need some sort of timer that is gonna be simple to build - try a kit from Maplin or RS, I'm sure they will have something.

It could be triggered by say a push button on the dash so that when you switch off, push the tit and start the timer. Even wired to the drivers door switch - that might be a cool idea. Maybe wired directly to your ignition, switching off and removing power from radio cct for instance might trigger the timer to start.

If you wanted it to come on at set times this might cause problems if you deviated from your normal pattern.

Dunno - just my first impressions, nice idea though.

Does the pump come with a suitable non return valve for the oil supply?? Where would you pick up the oil from and push it back in to the system?? It would obviously have to go in before the turbo feed to cool the turbo but if you wanna do the rest of the stuff with the timer and regular intervals you would want to supply the engine too.

What about a pressure switch operated system, sensing low pressure in the turbo supply line and switching the pump timer on.

might be drivel but i'm typing as I think here

Stu...
Old 15 February 2003, 10:49 AM
DarrenC
Scooby Regular

AliG,

I know nothing when it comes to car engines, but I work with industrial diesel engines (Cat, Cummins, Iveco etc)

Some of the above come with a device called TurboSafe. As far as i can make out, it is a pressurized ram filled with oil. When the engine stops, the ram slowly ejects the oil into the turbo bearings, and hence saves the overall life of the turbo.

Good Luck
Darren
Old 16 February 2003, 04:11 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Thats better guys, faith now restored in scoobynet

Interested in the Turbosafe Idea will try and find some more out and also

and Stu_WRX thanks some interesting Ideas

keep them comming

Cheers Alistair
Old 16 February 2003, 07:30 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Cool

My Clifford does the job too Wouldn't believe the amount of people who ask me if i know my engine was still running I think with a full Blitz exhaust I'd be hard pushed to miss it unless i was deaf

[Edited by ricco - 2/16/2003 7:31:03 PM]
Old 16 February 2003, 08:24 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

i have a sigma alarm on my car also-does that make of alarm make fitting of a turbo timer a no no -as in the alarm wont set or it will detect engine running still and set alarm off?
Old 24 February 2003, 09:24 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

OPM correct

update on the current situation is that in my search I have found a product called Turbo Guardthat is about £130 and looks very good. The company sent me an artical where this had been fitted to a Fast Ford project car and they seemed to like it. only problem is finding room for it now

[Edited by AliG - 2/24/2003 9:24:52 PM]

[Edited by AliG - 2/24/2003 9:41:50 PM]

[Edited by AliG - 2/24/2003 9:43:23 PM]
Old 24 February 2003, 09:39 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Typo in the link I think. Try this http://www.agriemach.co.uk/product_turbo_guard.html

Stu..
Old 24 February 2003, 09:44 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

cheers for that Stu, yeah thats what I was trying for and have finaly managed to get (you can see the number of edits it took
Old 24 February 2003, 09:45 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Here too - http://www.bearmach.com/acatalog/Onl...Engine_12.html

Old 24 February 2003, 09:48 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Stu you got one of these ?
Old 24 February 2003, 10:03 PM
Stu_WRX