Notices

Decat MOT question.

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2003, 04:22 PM
Big_Snapper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been mentioned on here before I know.
But can i get my Sti v5 mot`d with a decat exhaust< turbo back >.
I saw that if the car was tested as a Subaru Sti, it was not listed on the Ministry list, or something like this. The key point being, not testing it as an Impreza. On my registration document the car is listed as a Subaru 2 axle rigid body, 4 door saloon. No mention of the word Impreza.
I hope someone can give the definitive answer here.
Thanks in hope, Keith.
Old 15 January 2003, 05:01 PM
Ricky81 STi
Scooby Regular

Yeah I would like to know this as well
Old 15 January 2003, 05:07 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AFAIK if the car is registered after 95 then it is a condition of supply that all cars manufactured from that date on have catalytic converters fitted irrespective of country of manufacturer & therefore should be on the vehicle at the time of an MOT, so i would presume that whatever is statedon your logbook is irrelvant, actually i have an STiV & my logbook states that my vehicle is an impreza GL!!!
Old 15 January 2003, 05:13 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

All cars registered in this country had to have catalysts fitted from 01/01/93. In another bizarre Government / Ministry of Transport way of thinking it is not a requirement of the MOT to have a catalyst, just to pass the emissions test.

That said there is not a hope in hell of passing without a cat.

Edited to add that I run an MOT testing station as part of our dealership.

David

[Edited by Shark - 1/15/2003 5:14:57 PM]
Old 15 January 2003, 05:22 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave,
recently had an mot on my STiV & was told that if it left the factory with a cat fitted then it must have one at the time of MOT, even if it passed without a cat he wouldnt test it till it was fitted, car passed with centre missing c02 0.05,
Old 15 January 2003, 05:32 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

all cars go through the basic emmision test, if it fails it goes to model specific figures, subaru only list imprezza 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2000 turbo and p1. if its not a listed model then it is tested under the fall back figures which are slacker. problem is convincing your test station that yours isn't a plain imprzza 2000 turbo. in theory if anyone owns an import they could write to subaru asking for a letter stating that the car as originally made is unable to pass uk emmisions tests, if this letter was produced the test station has to accept it.

ersonally ive found some decatted cars actually pass the test, it seems to depend on how nice the owner is

anyone know if there are freeflow cats available yet at decent prices? i know janspeed were develoing them and aiming at about £200 a time.
Old 15 January 2003, 05:39 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

it's a real jobsworth about your cat missing, he would be using the rule that it fails if a part of the system is missing but that is only really intended to cover bits that aren't there at all as otherwise any non manufacturer exhaust would be a fail

if in doubt go to

http://www.motuk.com/mottest.htm

very usefull and i'd recommend you print a copy of the brake test regs were it says about not roller testing certain vehicles and take it with you when having a test

forgot to say you have to use the further information thing these days to get the manual up

[Edited by tinvek - 1/15/2003 5:41:41 PM]
Old 15 January 2003, 07:37 PM
Big_Snapper
Scooby Regular

Come on you technical people, please help I need to get the car tested soon. Many thanks Keith.

Ps does any one know a friendly garage near me, I am based in Devon. I do have the original exhaust in the garage, it just seems a pointless waste of time swapping and then re swapping the pipes.