Notices

lockwood dials

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2002, 04:21 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got the dials changed on my 95 import to white 180 mph ones. i printed out the 3 - 4 pages of a link that was posted here last night on how to change dials on a 96 jap import. the guy who fitted them is a competent enough mechanic but i have a few questions. the rev counter now only revs to about 4000 revs even when the engine is screaming and the needle is very slow to come down when i let off the throttle, sometimes it will stick at about 1500 revs when idling other times it will be ok. i have to take the car back on monday as he couldn't get the speedo to work but i think this has something to do with the speed delimiter that he fitted. bit of a fiddly arsy job.

can anyone let me know what they think may be wrong with the rev counter. does it need recalibrated or could the solenoids be shot. the water temp and fuel guage are fine just the speedo and rev counter.

i suppose while the speedo cable is out i will get infinity miles to the gallon

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 21 December 2002, 05:23 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

It simply sounds like they have been fitted badly. The needles have most likely been put back on wrong, causing the incorrect reading.
Speed de-limiters have absolutely nothing to do with the speedo head.
Solenoids ????? what has someone been telling you?? What has a solenoid/solenoids got to do with the instrument cluster??? Absolutely nothing.

Edited to add, after reading the other post, that not having a functioning speedo will cause running problems. Get it sorted. Sounds like this competent guy really made a mess of things

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 12/21/2002 6:13:50 PM]
Old 21 December 2002, 06:56 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

see thread in interior i replied 2 him the trouble i had & it sounds like wot i did. The bottom line, & i kud b rong & may just ba slight glitch (but unlikely), is that when he prised off the old needles the spindle popped out & thus the rev counter (which is wot i killed twice doing white dial thing) & i believe can also happen with any of other dials doesn't work any more the spindle is very much a bitch & very prone to this. Many people say they used 2 spoon technique without a problem & this is invariably true but i broke 2 in succession & 3rd time lucky & since i had spare needles just melted needle off the replacement with a soldering iron, which thus didnt put any stress on spindle, replaced dials & put one of the many spare needles back before replacing. I can send u a list of breakers if you do/will need them i paid just under £50 a time for the workings, with black dial etc still on, of the rev dial.
Ask away if i can help any further? & out of interest how much did u pay this "professional" to do the work as it is easy in terms of the removal but down 2 luck whether replacing actual dials/needles goes without a hitch. Thus no real advantage of takin 2 pro & paying
Si
PS good luck it does look better but i no it will pi$$ u off as u get used dials not working although obviously it's illegal not 2 have speedo working
PS2 erm happy xmas
Old 21 December 2002, 09:54 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

havent paid the guy yet. i supplied the hair dryer and 2 spoons and he manged to get the speedo and rev counter needles out. the ironic thing is the two harder dial (temp and fuel) are working a treat. when he took the spindle out they seemed fine. about the size of a darning needle in the centre hub of the needle. there seems to be a little ratchet thing in the centre. he removed the needle fitted the while dial, replaced the needle.

on the tacho if you move the needle up with your finger it gravity slowly brings it down like a damped eject on a cassette player.

when i am driving the car the needle doesnt get much above 3000 rpm when the engine is screaming. can and do these things need calibrated? i assume when i get the speedo cable sorted that the speedo needle will work again?

Well pi$$ed off atm.

thanks for the help anyways

cheers

big sinky
Old 22 December 2002, 12:02 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I wood imagine/hope that the speedo wood work when all hooked up, er now i kud b rong but i fort it woz only early cars which were mechanical (ie wire based rather than electic based ) speedos? Not overly sure of when it changed but me MY97 uk car is just a plug at the back. The rev counter however sounds stuffed 2 me mine too wood work marginally with the couple i killed but as u say dont return 2 idle in any rush & woodnt go over a certain amount & when/if it does go over 12 o'clock position it sure as **** wont go back . I could yet b wrong & 4 yer wallets sake i hope so but as i say sounds dead 2 me! Bright side is u will now have a spare needle DO NOT DO 2 SPOON next time soldering iron is the safe way
Si
PS if u do have it out, so 2 speak, if the spindle in any way can be pulled out mine only did it by 1mm or so but still didnt work as result then this is sure sign it has deceased
PPS breakers list still available since it seems u will now need it
Old 22 December 2002, 12:04 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

BTW so no dont need calibrating, other than lining up needle with where it woz at idle b4 it woz removed, & by spindle i mean the pin size thing the needle goes on.
Si

[Edited by scooby_si - 12/22/2002 12:05:38 AM]
Old 22 December 2002, 12:03 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

i give up
Old 22 December 2002, 01:58 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

care3? que? wha? eh?
Si
Old 22 December 2002, 02:02 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=160983
Old 22 December 2002, 03:41 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

sorry care i have two threads going atm. one is the lumpy feel in thcar and yes i suspect limp mode coz the speedo is bolloxed but related to that thread is this thread about the dial changing.

sorry for any confusion

cheers

big sinky