Notices

URGENT TECH ADVICE PLS - ENGINE MALFUNCTION LIGHT WRX

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2002, 10:43 AM
met
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this should be in some technical chat area but I need some urgent advice please,

New Age WRX last night on the motorway & the Engine Malfunction Light Came on, no loss of power or any other signs, pulled over & left the car for about 10 mins restarted & the light was still on, drove home very slowly , checked the book & the light is the orange pic of the engine,Malfunction Light the book says that it is to do with the OBD, On Board Diagnositc to do with the emmision control system, the book says that there must a prob with the emmision sensor/comtrol ----- BUT i have a Scoobysport Down Pipe, Middle & Back box, the only cat in place is the up pipe, the car had the O2 thingy done by ScoobySport too & has been fine as that resets the O2 thing on the OBD. There is another but, the car went in for a service 20k at the Subaru main dealer on Monday (last) & I havent really driven it that much since, poss about 200 miles?
So did they reset the computer to the factory settings so its now telling me that theres a problem with the cats? or what,surely they would have noticed the exhaust? is the light to be ignored til i can get in touch with Scoobysport or Subaru on Monday, has anyone else had this, thanks for reading or any advice.
cheers
Old 15 December 2002, 12:27 PM
yoza
BANNED

Wink

There have been loads of posts about engine check lights comin on......

They have often been nothing to worry about,so chill out.

Somebody will come on soon and explain what it may be,but unfortunatly Im not the one to do it.

If I remember rightly the majority of these lights come on when changing up pipes from standard to de-cat,or a faulty censor,but cant remember which one.

Later Yoza

PS come on lads tell him what it could be he is 5hitting himself.
Old 15 December 2002, 12:29 PM
met
Scooby Regular

cheers, i just been out to the shops in teh girlfriends micra, very embarassing the wrx seems to be driving fine, the light came on after really really caning the car around twisty suffolk back roads then really thraping it on the motorway in heavy rain! who do i get to switch it off then scoobysport or subaru dealer? ta

[Edited by met - 12/15/2002 12:32:29 PM]
Old 15 December 2002, 12:46 PM
met
Scooby Regular

sorted]http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=102237&Page=1

sorted i think, i'm off to start & stop the car 4 times now & i'll see what happens.

[Edited by met - 12/15/2002 12:58:22 PM]
Old 15 December 2002, 12:52 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

I sometimes get that light coming on after a thrash. It always goes out when left over night and never had any problems. It could also be a faulty cam sensor (common problem). However it may be that your car is about to spontaneously combust and should be left in a well ventilated area for a week!

[Edited by bug-eyed wonder - 12/15/2002 12:53:08 PM]
Old 15 December 2002, 12:58 PM
met
Scooby Regular

its been in the garage all laast night & the light is still on, i tried the on off thing & its still on, so i'm gonna load my gun & go & shoot the engine see if that clears the fault! or go to the dealer in the morning & get him to sort out me cam sensor.
Old 15 December 2002, 01:03 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

The light coming on could mean a hundred different things, Emmissions and Cam Sensor are just two of these hundreds of things. Get it to the dealer (or someone you know with DeltaDash) and find out what the fault actually is. I would do this sooner rather than later as it might be something important/dangerous!!!

Matt
Old 15 December 2002, 01:23 PM
STi G00n
Scooby Newbie

My money is on exhaust temperature sensor
Old 15 December 2002, 03:48 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The engine does the test on cat efficiency the thing (the scoobysport box works round) when you are going along at a steady engine speed and it is nice and warm. IIRC, on a MY02 I believe it is 68mph in top and min. 88º water temperature, and held steady for several seconds. If you were doing about that at the time, that is probably the problem. If you weren't, in is unlikely IMHO. If it is the problem, it isn't going to damage anything, it is there to tell you the engine is not running within the original designed emmissions - because you have taken the cats out.

If it is that, either the dealer disconnected the scoobysport box, or the box has failed. IIRc, it doesn't alter the settings in the ECU, but sends out "fake" signals to tell the ECU that the emissions are fine.

EGT is also a common failure - the sensor in the up-pipe sometimes overheats and fails, but get it checked out. There is a way to read the codes using black connctor under steering column and getting the light to flash at you. Do a search and you'll find out the details.

[Edited by hades - 12/15/2002 3:53:05 PM]
Old 15 December 2002, 06:03 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

hades,
There is a way to read the codes using black connctor under steering column and getting the light to flash at you. Do a search and you'll find out the details.
I don't believe you can do this on the New Age cars

Matt
Old 15 December 2002, 07:15 PM
met
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the advice, but i decided not to use it at all, i'll be taking it back to Lavender hill tommorow first thing, the scoobysport box wouldnt have been unplugged surely? the car was serviced on the monday & i did about 180miles til the light came on, surely it would of come on sooner, i am betting its the cam sensor, there is a guy in the link on the post above who had the exact same thing as me, 97mph, i was doing a solid 100+ on the way home in the rain when it happened, (prob just as well) the M25 was empty at the time, so i'll get it check out & let you guys know tommorow. ta
Old 15 December 2002, 07:33 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lavender Hill should sort you out - say Hi to Dave (Shark) for me

Matt
Old 16 December 2002, 10:50 AM
met
Scooby Regular

took it to lavender hill & the codes were CAT system bellow threshold & exhaust gas temp sensor malfunction. so not too serious more annoying, apparently the egt can fail as is very week on scoobs regardless of the scoobysport exhaust. the light would have been triggered cos of the egt. dont understand why it didnt switch off though once it had cooled down? oh well sorted now, i'll never thrash the car again.
Old 16 December 2002, 06:45 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

IIRC, the EGT is in the up-pipe and is apparently prone to breaking. Some of the warning lights will stay on until reset, e.g. as it is there to warn you that the up-pipe cat may have overheated and been damaged, they want you to get it checked. The cat inefficiency code appears to do the same, although I can't absolutely confirm that.

I believe a lot of people in the USA running a de-cat up-pipe replace the EGT sensor with a bung and use a 2.2KOhm resistor to fool the ECU into thinking all is well: as the biggest issue with EGT is about breaking the up-pipe cat, doesn't matter so much if there isn't one. Of course, if you're running a high state of tune, you might want to monitor the EGT, so I wouldn't necessarily suggest that approach.

Matt - I had been told the connector trick worked to display the codes on the new age, although the reset sequence isn't the same as for the classics? I have never actually checked either way on mine. I'll check if/when I next get a light on.