Notices

Tyre Wear? Anyone Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2002, 07:27 PM
ronniebiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Havent had my scoob long it a WRX 94. when I got it the tyres where pretty nacked. The back 2 had both outside edges took off and the rest of the tyre was like new and rthe front tyres appered ok until further inspection revealed that both inside edges had been wore away.
Do scoobys run the inside edges of like cossies?
Do you think its possible that the back 2 tyres are the old front tyres swapped arround to wear on the other side? I have had 1 part worn put on the back and it doesnt seem to be wearing the outside of. so I think its just the wrong that may be wrong. It also tends to pull alittle to the left (not much) and the wheel feels springey towards the center (when the wheel is centralised and the tyres)
Hope you can help!!
Havent had tracking done yet!!!
Regards Ronniebiggs
Old 23 November 2002, 09:34 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Ronnie,
It depends on how the car is driven as to how the tyres wear.
Alot of people say the inside edges wear first, but I seem to wear the outside edges. Might have something to do with cornering though

I would recommend you get the geometry all lazer aligned! It'll cost anyting from £40-100 depending on any adustments needed, but is well worth doing if only for peace of mind

If you want the best performance, have a look into Prodrive,TSL,etc geometry settings. It can make a big differance

Just a quick note.
Be very careful fitting one tyre at a time this can cause diff "wind up" because the wheels will rotate at different speeds on a straight! This will shorten the life of the diff dramatically.

It is always best to replace 2 tyres at a time, though it is recommended to replace all 4 at once, but this is rather expensive

Hope that helps,
Iain.
Old 23 November 2002, 10:29 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Ronnie

Scoobs do tend to have the geometry set up for handling rather than long tyre life. Inside wear on the fronts is quite common because of this. I can say from my own experience that having the geometry/alignment properly done makes a huge difference. TSL or Powerstation are two of the better known and trusted companies that do this.

Swapping fronts to rears is quite common, so it is possible that this would account for the different tyre wear. Get yourself a new set of something decent (Goodyear F1, Toyo etc etc) and get the geometry sorted.

Chris
Old 24 November 2002, 02:17 PM
ronniebiggs
Scooby Regular

Wink

cheers guys, much appreciated