Notices

Broquet fuel cat

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2002, 12:03 AM
Merv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone fitted a Broquet fuel cat to their Scoob? Are they any good and can you run on 95 Ron fuel?
Old 07 November 2002, 01:29 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Snake oil. Broquette have been given the opportunity to substantiate their claims with independant test results and could not.
It then transpired that the advertising standards authority had found against them on a number of claims about three or four years ago when Broquette could not give credible substance to their claims.
Old 07 November 2002, 07:13 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Harvey, that's one side of the argument but not the whole argument.

Merv, do a search and you'll find a number of threads with arguments for and against their use including arguments for, from Bob Rawle and John Banks, both of whom are well respected engine mappers and have been able to see benefits whilst mapping.

Read the threads and make your own mind up.

Chris.
Old 07 November 2002, 09:50 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Yes they work (that is just my opinion through my own experience and measurement), however I would say that they should only be used as a safety measure on the scoob - the correct fuel use is too critical and you want every help you can get; this is just another little helper.
It does depend on the model - standard UK with no mods should run OK on NUL anyway, and Broquet will help improve on that fuel. UK with mods - SUL a much better idea, with Broquet if preferred or local fuel may be suspect... JDM SUL + Broquet + booster
Old 07 November 2002, 12:14 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Off topic but....

Harvey, are you having some work done at Roger Clark's in the very near future ?

Chris.
Old 08 November 2002, 02:02 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Chris: RCMS built this engine in March or April and have not done any work on it since. As we speak I have not arranged for any other work to be done by them although I have asked about a 2.5 litre for the future but have more plans of my own for this engine before I go to bigger capacity, if indeed I bother.
When Bob mapped this car the day after the turbo was fitted and the day before Well Lane, he said it was on a conservative map with more to come from mapping alone.
In respect of Broquettes, no hard evidence has been produced. I use N.F. and had a long and detailed discussion with Bob on the subject of Broquettes. I also have them fitted but could detect no gain against any of their clams whatsoever.
I can detect a demonstrable benefit from N.F. and some other octane boosters.
It is not my place to say what the conclusion of my discussion with Bob was but bearing in mind the foregoing and it is some time since Bob said anything about Broquettes you may wish to ask him for his current views.
Old 08 November 2002, 07:22 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Harvey, FWIW, I dug up the old threads again, and had to conclude I was wrong about what he did say or did not say... memory can be a strange thing Bob talked about smoothness & possibly mpg, but never stated he could advance ignition (as I first thought he had said).

Maybe part of the problem is the "guru" status we attribute to him (not his fault): we all tend to sit up & listen when he writes something, and halfly consider it gospel, which may not be pleasant for him, and I can see how that actually prevents further discussion. Amateur psych, I know, but maybe that's why he didn't bother to update us with his current thoughts in the last thread a few weeks ago (he did post on it).

Does this make sense ?
Old 08 November 2002, 07:43 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Harvey, I asked about RCMS because my car is currently with them to have a new engine built and they mentioned your name.

Chris.
Old 08 November 2002, 07:53 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

From speaking to him recently, Bob said he had done 2 controlled tests on 2 different 'real' scoobs & noted an improvement in resistance to det in both cases.
Which appears to be exactly the same result as JB got in another place with another car with a different set-up.
Basically, they're not a 'wonder fix', but they do help enough for them to add a degree or two of safety to, say, some dodgy fuel.

But we're all hammering on our own little drum at the moment & one side is never going to agree to the other - I'm definately just going round in circles now so am going to just give up
Old 08 November 2002, 10:54 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

You could ask Bob to qualify what he has said re Broquettes, particularly with the use of octane booster as he and I discussed at length five weeks ago.
Separately, I bought Broquets against claims of "more power, reduced fuel consumption 7% to 12%" None of this is evident in my experience and I have been very searching and would like to believe the product works as claimed. If the company was unable to substantiate claims to The Advertising Standards Authority,then, I it is clear to me their claims are pie in the sky. Afterall, measuring substantial improvements in fuel consumption or power gains is not rocket science.
Old 08 November 2002, 11:56 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

IMHO.....it doesn't have to do what it says on the box, as long as it does what I want, lol

Richard
Old 08 November 2002, 12:38 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Here we go again......

Jza
Old 08 November 2002, 03:20 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Merv do a search as this was only debated recently.

Tim