Gapping Sparkies

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2002, 09:43 AM
Nelson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Good morning to you all

I am looking for some advice on gapping some spark plugs. I have recently had some NGK PFR7B plugs fitted to MY93 WRX . Unfortunately since then I have had some problems with lack of power at peak torque (3000-3500 rpm). having spoken to Powerstation they have asked as to whether the plugs were regapped before being fitted as they are gapped at 9mm as a factory standard. Having spoken with the garage who fitted them I have been told that they weren't regapped.

Anyway firstly I assume these NGK plugs are o.k to adjust and secondly does anybody have any tips for reducing the spark plug gap ? Any help would be gretaly appreciated as I am just on way into Halford to see about getting a regapping tool.

Cheers

Old 02 November 2002, 09:53 AM
bandyandstrange
Scooby Regular

Talking

lol i just posted the same question i now how to adjust gaps but just dont know the size yet? it is ok to regap ngk plugs if the gap is to big just tap the spark plug end gently on a hard object pref metal vice every few taps then check with your feeler gauges the gap is correct when the gauges feel like you are cutting through butter dont worry if you close the gap too much you can gently make the gap bigger with a small screw driver and start again

hope this helps

mark
Old 02 November 2002, 11:18 AM
Nelson
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply m8 - talk about great minds thinking alike.

Well the gap I need to use with NGK 7's I have been told is 0.7mm -dunno if this helps you but this is wot I am gapping mine to today.

Cheers