Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had fun with the Ferrari's, but an apology to all....

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2001, 07:36 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Went to the Bentley meet today and upon leaving, 3 Ferraris that had popped down were leaving at the same time. The blitz exhaust was grumbling nicely and I got the comment with a wink 'Going Farrari baiting?' as I left, after exiting the outside car park the 3 give it some, so with a gap I follow suit.
Get out past the cow catcher and follow them. Get to the big island and they decide to go left to go right. I go down the two way cut across and come out behind a 355 or something like that. I don't think that the other 2 were happy about getting their line messed up . 355 goes for it, so I do the same, bursting along to the A22. 355 guns it down the A22, I follow. Lovely gaps in the traffic, so off we go. I couldn't believe it! Up until fifth gear, him and I were inseperable. in fifth, He managed to get away from me, but slowly. 355 no.2 comes in front of the Marenello and sits back a couple of cars behind me. Opens up again and I indicate for him to go past me. He does and then proceeds to leapfrog between people with 5-7 yards between cars . So anyways....... Come up to a long straight hill and as he is at the brow, he goes again, I watch and then do the same. He is about 6 cars ahead of me.
Here's where I made the big mistake. I waited for too long checking (In theory)that he had a free stretch ahead of him. He didn't, but I couldn't see that, So I dumped into third climb the hill like a nutter. All of a sudden, a pile of cars come along the other way, probably already rattled from his manouvre and the gap I was going to go into disappears. I could have probably just got into the gap, but instead I make mistake 2 and continue to gun it to get in front of the traffic. I got in with 10-20 yards to spare, absolute tops. Felt really horrible about it, as it was a bloody dangerous manouvre.
There is a fine line between being in control and driving stupidly/dangerously. I think I just let the fun get the better of me. The last thing that I want to do is cast a bad light on scoobies and those who drive them, so my sincere apologies to all concerned

Nick.
Old 10 June 2001, 09:33 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Nick

The Italians have an action for this where they grasp their ********* - it's a testosterone thang - we've all been there ....

However, know of four bad crashes on meets, three on local ones, two on the way to the same meet, so drive carefully now guys.... (not preaching)
Old 11 June 2001, 09:50 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Fair play mate...

Most people don't even admit (forget remember) their mistakes... Just learn from them so you don't do it too often. But DON'T stop having fun... Just be carefull outthere.

Cheers

Rui
Old 11 June 2001, 10:36 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Glad it was fun, glad you're ok, and glad you've learnt something

Takes ***** to admit that you cocked up. Look on the bright side, there's a bruised ego, a few Ferrari drivers who think that scoob drivers are nutters, and that's all

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and hopefully learnt something. Makes me think a bit more when the red mist (of testosterone and adrenaline, a dangerour mix) appears to be descending - but it takes something like this to realise quite how silly you've been . Especially when you think what could have happened. *shiver*
Old 11 June 2001, 12:49 PM
Lambchop
Scooby Regular

Fair play to you mate

bet your in line for some abuse tomorrow though when everyone gets back on their high horse after weekend away

you might even have the police at your door

Chopski