Notices

turbonator????????

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2002, 06:52 PM
NOS nova
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the engine section on scoobyshop there is a product by tusunami racing that i have never heard of!!!

also never heard of tusunarmi racing???

It is made entirely from stainless steel. It will outlast any vehicle, and, it only takes 5 minutes and a screw driver to install!

If you don't feel comfortable installing it, have your mechanic do it for you.

If he doesn't install it for free, find a new mechanic!

How does it work? It adds an angular momentum to the air that passes through it in the same way that a gun ads an angular momentum to a bullet that passes through it's barrel.

By focusing the kinetic energy in one direction, it gives you
These items are imported from the USA and can only be found at Tsunami Racing.
hummmmmm.........more horse power and better fuel economy.

anyone had any experiences if one of these turbonators???

it sounds like an asian arnold schwarzenegger to me

Old 24 October 2002, 07:37 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Talking

...thought "turbonator" was a Transformer (robot in disguise)

Paul
Old 24 October 2002, 07:56 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
would this be the chap i had in MY workshop asking advice???????
hmmmmmmm!
alyn - as performance
Old 24 October 2002, 10:31 PM
NOS nova
Scooby Regular

also never heard of as performance!!!

there seem to be a lot of so called performance and racing business poping-up up there in the north east!

Old 25 October 2002, 01:18 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nos: If you find out it is not more snake oil let me know.
Forgive my sceptism but in all my firearms training we never heard of angular momentum and if it was real we would have by that name or in plain English.
Old 25 October 2002, 08:28 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
nos, never heard of you but i dont dis. you
been around for about 5 years - race / rally prep company (raced / rallied NOVAS for longer).
Only recently (last year or so) started to get more involved in fast road scene - when people realised "we speak the truth!" and not some company "this'll make your car soooooooo fast" blurb!!
if you want straight advice / parts mail or phone me 0191-4103770
alyn - as performance

[Edited by stockcar - 10/25/2002 8:29:25 AM]
Old 25 October 2002, 03:25 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

'angular momentum' = spin.
You put spin on a bullet making it more powerful and accurate (hence a rifle being more accurate....it is the 'rifling' in the barrell that puts a spin on the bullet).
I am not a gun expert, but that is what they are on about.

With regards to 'angular momentum' (i.e. giving the air spin) then this is (I would imagine) of very little benefit to a turbocharged car, but would probably work okay on a normally aspirated car.

I read about this a long time ago, so please excuse me if I get it wrong:

Any car depends on an efficient fuel air mix being delivered into the cylinder as quickly as possible. Adding one of these 'turbonators' effectively generates a venturi effect on the ingoing charge. In the same way a whirlwind can pick up a lake and turn it into water droplets, so a venturi in a carburettor or (probably) injection manifold will mix the petrol more efficiently and (supposedly) hold more of it.

The cornflake packet science behind this also states that because the air has a slightly higher velocity and less random turbulence, more will rush into the cylinder.

If that is true, I can see how it would work well on a normally aspirated car. For it to work on a turbo'd car, it would have to go between your intercooler and your injection manifold, and even then I suspect the injection manifold will (unless suitably polished) break up the venturi effect. I suspect that if was truly effective, car manufacturers would put a venturi in each 'arm' of the injection manifold prior to the injectors to achieve better combustion.

I have seen proof that it works well on a car with a single carb, after returning, made a notable horsepower increase.
As for our 'modern' cars.....I dunno.

Hope that helps?

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2002, 04:15 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Wink

It's got nothing to do with me!
Old 25 October 2002, 05:17 PM
NOS nova
Scooby Regular

looks like more snake oil!!!

should call this scammynet not scoobynet!!!
Old 27 October 2002, 01:21 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Nos: Seems like you are a sceptic and you know how people who post negative threads are viewed on here.
Steve: What direction do you need to spin the air, clockwise or anti clock as a man in a pub once told me it's a different direction if you are in the Southern hemisphere and if so can we have an assurance that these have been converted to soin the right (pun) way considering they come from Japan presumably with a name
like Tusami.
Would it be true to say that the current government has lots of angular momentum? Just wondered?
Old 27 October 2002, 01:30 AM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

sounds the same as those ecotek valve things, they do actually work on fuel economy as ive tested one. Id go for the ecotek (available off their web site) over this random one ive never heard of
Old 27 October 2002, 12:03 PM
Airwolf
Scooby Regular

Question

It seems to me some people should be applying for a banner ad on here, rather than spouting, phone numbers etc???????

Old 27 October 2002, 10:50 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Arrow

(wondering what airwolf means)

Harvey: The government sure does have a lot of angular momentum. Their emissions are excessive too.

With regards to which way the venturi must spin...uhm...yeah...maybe? I dunno, I don't THINK it matters. It is true that if you pull the plug on a sink in austrailia, the water will swirl in the opposite direction! No, I don't know why.

The ECOtek valve (as I understand it) primarily improves throttle response, but CAN monkey with your car because it introduces unmetered air into the induction system, bypassing the MAF. (from memory).

These little toys are never going to make much of a difference: you are simply trying to refine a highly engineered system.

In most cases, REMOVING stuff from your engine is more likely to give you more horsepower, because SUBARU restrict the hell out of them for emissions and suchlike. Take a look at Dave_Wallis's scooby: He has spent most of his time removing restrictions from his engine, and then re-mapped the ECU to allow the engine to use its new breathing (and fitted bigger injectors to allow for the extra charge) and BING his car is a beast, by all accounts.

Just my two pence.
Old 27 October 2002, 10:57 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Steve, will you be ready for the pod on the 26th January? I've got a surprise for you guys.
Old 27 October 2002, 11:07 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yeah, I reckon I will be there!

I am also hoping you will have found some time to help me 'breathe' on my car so I can achieve some nice 1/4mile times.
I want 250bhp. Badly. Friend has a FIAT Coupe 20v turbo and I wanna wipe that grin off his face.

Why do I suspect that your suprise arrived on a boat, has extremely short gear ratios and a diff controller, hmmm?

One (japanese) careful owner?

Are we, I ask, going to be using the words "rally" and "altered" at any point in the proceedings?

And how much is the lil red wonder with the crazy wiring being sold for?
Old 27 October 2002, 11:10 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Its sold already with the wiring tucked away nicely. All I need now is for a grand from my savings to get my newer Japanese wonder with the word "altered" somewhere embedded in it.

Anyway, we'll see what I can do to give you at least 250bhp, possibly more as its the same engine as my WRX. I think you'll be able to wipe out the smile from his face. Either that or you'll be getting Rich to tow you back home to Reading in his P1.

[Edited by Katana - 10/27/2002 11:11:11 PM]
Old 27 October 2002, 11:17 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Red face

Rich has a P1 now?
OMG!

I SERIOUSLY need more bhp then.
At least enough to make Rich look a bit perplexed!!!

Hmm...nice Car dude. But the gear ratios? You are surely not planning to pull this one apart too? Um...yes, you are, aren't you.. Do It! I wanna see it! oh yes!

How come the RAs and P1s of this world rev to 7500rpms and mine tops out at around 6500 somewhere?

My girlfriend was telling me to scrap my car today

I was trying to explain that there is no sensibly priced modern alternative:

4 wheel drive
Turbocharged (easy to tune)
BIG car (I am not a short guy)
is a very slim market.

I said I could import a Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 (I't slower...I have raced them) and they are about £10,000

Or if she fancied giving me the money I could get an Audi RS4 Avant. Which is...£35,000?

So I wanna keep it and tune it!
Old 27 October 2002, 11:28 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Um I think its because of the ratio. You don't need to go over 6500 rpm to get to your top speed. Our top speed with our short gear ratio won't even be able to keep up with yours. Want to get rid of the limit? Either get a new ECU or map it (what I'm doing to mine). Hopefully she'll hold.

edit: Don't worry too much about rich's P1. P1s are overated. RA is where its all at. I'll give it 5 minutes before rich gets here.

[Edited by Katana - 10/27/2002 11:30:31 PM]
Old 28 October 2002, 09:25 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Driven P1.
Driven v5 or v6 (can't remember) Type RA.

They do different things.

P1 is of comparable ability to RA in terms of handling, and a devil of a lot easier to drive (i.e. spine remains same shape etc).

RA is a weapon. And absoloute weapon.
But you have to monkey with the diff to get equivalent grip to the P1 in the wet. I concur that the RA is a shedload quicker, though.

The last time I went after a P1 in the legacy he made me look very very silly indeed.

Old 28 October 2002, 05:12 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Hehe no worries for me as I'm more intersted in 1/4 times in Santa Pod. But you're right, it is a deadly weapon. I'm still tempted on modifying it though.
Old 28 October 2002, 08:04 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

*cough*-NOS-*cough*
Old 28 October 2002, 10:47 PM
NOS nova
Scooby Regular

what"cough"what
Old 28 October 2002, 11:46 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hate to come all physics on you, but . .

The reason for things spinning one way in the southern hemisphere and another in the nothern is called coreolis force. It is all down to conservation of angular momentum: if you're in the nothern hemisphere, and you move north, you are heading to the north pole. The north pole is right on the earth's axis of spin, whereas the equator is a long way away from it. Therefore, you're moving towards the axis, and your spin speed will increase (like an ice skater pulling legs in and speeding up). This results in movement relative to the planet. I could go into detail, but anyone who is still awake now wouldn't be after that.

Peerhaps the relavent point is that this is only an issue if the spin is about a vertical axis. In your airbox, I guess it is horizontal and makes no odds at all. It is probably more relevant the way the turbo is spinning, which will be the same in either hemisphere.

As to whether it works? No idea, have my doubts personally.

Anyway, I though the turbonator was the nickname for Indian spin bowler Harbajan Singh?

Apologies to all who don't know know (or care) about physics or cricket.
Old 29 October 2002, 08:40 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

NOS Nova, I meant NOS for Katana, not NOS Nova..... Oh nevermind.

Hades....LOVE the physics...but.....cricket?

As for the turbonator....
I KNOW the venturi effect is considered a valid way of tuning any single-point-injection system (because the air is still 'spinning' when the fuel is mixed) and I have seen proof that it does really work. However, scoobies are all multi point injection....that means the air gets all 'split up' inside the injection manifold before the fuel is mixed with it. Whether it retains the velocity of it's angular momentum in something as aerodynamically complicated as an injection manifold, I find doubtful.

To be honest, I would guess the amount of positive pressure a turbocharger generates would render any venturi effect pointless anyway......

but as I said before, I am no expert.

.......just thought....it might help NOS work better, though.....
Old 29 October 2002, 10:11 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Hehe I was seriously considering NOS before I found out that it was going to be a b*tch to refill the bottle. Appearantly they don't like selling it to normal people like us.

Old 29 October 2002, 10:21 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yeah...and if you get a leak they will be laughing all the way to the bank. And the shop. And the petrol station. And to work. And home....and.....and......etc