Notices

What are the main differences between an Sti 4 Type RA and V-ltd, and an Sti 5 Type R

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 08:49 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Simon - I thought that hatch was for drive through drive bys at Maccy D's when you're in a rush?

Jamie

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 10/1/2002 8:49:39 AM]
Old 29 September 2002, 02:40 PM
imprezza99uk
Scooby Regular

Im looking to buy an Sti Classic shape and ive been looking at the Version 4 Type RA and V-Limited but i have been told that the Sti 5 Type R is a better all round car and comes with better interior spec and a few better engine extras. I want a 2 door that has to be in Sonic Blue and i want the roof vent too, do all the above specs have the same engine or was their an update on the Sti 5 Type R and which has the better seats and interior. I just want to make sure i get the best and exact car that i am after and any help would be appreciated. Is their any truth in that when the roof vent is up and doing over 30 mph they have been known to come off, its just someone said this to me and was just wanted to know...Thanx Rob

[Edited by imprezza99uk - 9/29/2002 2:42:34 PM]
Old 29 September 2002, 04:05 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

I saw an STi 5 type R the other day and it looked and went amazing..!!!

Dan
Old 30 September 2002, 09:23 AM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

Not too sure on the interior spec differences, but V4 to V5 had lots of engine mods. V5 is said to be fragile, but if you look after it and the MAF (or get a Link) it's more tunable anyway.

If you want a roof vent and 2 door then you gotta get a V-Ltd.

See www.ravensbladeimpreza.com/downloads
Old 30 September 2002, 04:08 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

The type R is a 2 door, the RA is a 4 door.

RA means Race Altered and has roof vent,has lightweight bits on and none of the usual weight adding toys e.g. aircon and leccy windows although these were optional and could be fitted.Theya slo have shorter gearing too.

The V-ltd as far as I know is a special edition of the RA with a lot of the bits that are on the options list for the RAs fitted as standard e.g. aircon

Hope this helps

Rich
Old 30 September 2002, 07:35 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

There are a few Type R R/As knocking around if i remember correctly. You don't see them very often though...

I regularly run with the roof hatch open at 70-80mph. Whilst I appreciate that this may be a pretty stupid thing to do, it's no more stupid than the rest of my life!

simon
STi Type R/A

[Edited by RRH - 9/30/2002 7:36:25 PM]
Old 30 September 2002, 08:03 PM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

Nice one Simon. Made me LOL.

Yep run around with mine open but only in town usually.
Reminds my mates of an old Mini Van. I tell them to
f*&k off!!!

Daver
Old 01 October 2002, 12:28 AM
robwilson
Scooby Newbie

I got a 98 Type R (Sonic Blue) no roof vent though, not a special edition but I don't care. Type R/RA not that much diff. You will fall in love with the car you are about to buy. Good luck.

PS, Only thing that made my mind up was that I prefered 2 doors.
Old 01 October 2002, 10:36 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

The RA V-LTD has a shorter first 4 ratios from the type RA, the 5th is a standard STI ratio (you need to ask John Felstead about it as he has an STi5 Type RA V-LTD) so its very quick to just over 100mph (quicker than the type R) but the longer 5th means better motorway cruising and not the manic nature of the type RA.
Id buy the V-Ltd to be honest, its the best of both worlds and quicker with it (and you get the air vent )

Tony
Old 01 October 2002, 01:08 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an STi5 Type R V-Ltd and love it, The type R's have a closer ratio box than standard STi's, hence theyre as quick as an RA (apart from being a few KG's heavier) and I think the V-Ltd models have a taller 5th for motorway cruising.
Mine does exactly 80mph at 4000rpm in 5th - is that the same as an ordinary STi5 ?
Also on the roof vent it says in Japanese that its ok to 50mph, but I have seen 3 figures without it ripping off...
heres a pic of it alongside another STi5-R V-Ltd and Chucksters 22B at the anchor pub:

and heres a poor quality pic that clearly shows the roof vent:

They are 3 in Surrey that regularly turn up to meets, not bad considering only 1000 were ever built for the JDM.
Old 01 October 2002, 09:06 PM
imprezza99uk
Scooby Regular

Dan they are really great cars and nice pics. What year is your Type-R V-limited it looks spot on! If you need a buyer anytime preferably sooner than later then please get in touch. I know you will be keeping it but you never know as circumstances change like house buying etc....Thanx Rob Top cars mate.
Old 02 October 2002, 08:29 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a MY99 on a T plate, remember that there are STi6's out there too but again they are not that common. Funny you should mention a change in circumstances as I am moving house and seriously considered selling the car but I have stretched the morgage cos I'd probably never find another car like this one
If I did sell then I'd be asking for £15000, (30K miles - FSH etc) to give you an idea of price
Good luck
Dan
ps heres an official subaru marketing pic of a 5V-Ltd to wet your appetite:
Old 02 October 2002, 03:00 PM
imprezza99uk
Scooby Regular

Dan keep me updated on a possible sale! Would you class it as a minter. What is the spec on the car Dan and have you done any mods yourself e.g full de-cat stainless etc! And what security and stereo system is in the car. If you do decide to sell at some point and i havn`t found one then drop me a mail if you can with some scans and a spec list...Thanx Rob imprezza.rs@btopenworld.com