Notices

Bike Rack for MY99

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2002, 07:46 PM
ScoobyRAZ1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which ones will fit a MY99 turbo saloon and how much?

Cheers
Rich
Old 28 September 2002, 11:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Someone (Which?) recently did a test on these.
As regards petrol consumption, the worst is the boot fitting rack, the second worst is the roof mounted rack, and the best is the towbar fitting rack.
As regards ease of use, the roof mounted rack carries the most bikes, doesn't allow them to touch/knock together, and the other two don't allow the boot to open while in use.
As regards price, cheapest is the boot rack, then the towbar mount, if you don't have a towbar, then the roof mount.
Hope some of this is of help?
Alcazar
Old 29 September 2002, 12:54 PM
ScoobyRAZ1
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thankx for that.

It looks like it will have to be a boot rack as I don't have a towbar fitted and will need a roof box in the near future anyway (you guessed-expanding family!).

Presumably Halfords do a boot mounted rack - does anyone know if this fit OK on a saloon Scooby?

Cheers
Rich
Old 29 September 2002, 01:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Don't know for sure, but there are so many different types, that I can't believe there won't be one for your car.
If you value your bikes, and you're gonna put more than one on it, get some packs of pipe lagging foam from Wickes etc, or buy the proper ones from Halfords if you're feeling flush. They do a good job of keeping the bikes off each other.
I find it's often easier to remove pedals too, and even to turn the bars through 90 degrees for transport.
Finally, don't forget that if the rack/bikes obscures any part of the number plate, or your rear lighting, you'll have to have a trailer board on it, or risk a pull!
Best of luck'
Alcazar
Old 29 September 2002, 05:13 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Boot racks are really a bit sh*t - used a lot of them and no matter how careful you are you will always scratch your bike and car! Also, I don't know of one that will fit over the rear wing/spoiler on a scoob

As long as your roof box isn't mega wide, you should be able to fit two bikes on a roof rack alongside a roof box. Get the roof type where you mount the front fork via a quick release. These a MUCH more secure than the ones where you mount them upsidedown, or where you keep both wheels on. Also much narrower, hence you can put a roof box on as well. The posh ones (Thule) have locking mechanisms so it's secure as well.

Never used a tow bar one, but I know friends that have and they are happy with them - just can't open the boot properly with one in place.
Old 29 September 2002, 07:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Agree with Scrappydog: those Thule roof mounted carriers are the dog's. You'd be able to fit at least 2 bikes, esp if you do the pedals off, turn the bars, bit I said about.
I transported a wheel from the bike that was on one of those, all the way from Limoges in France to Scunny,(about 800 miles), zip tied to the frame of the bike. I used releasable zip ties, but you could cut the other type when yopu arrive home. Just pad the wheel/bike interface (???) with some cloth, foam etc, and use 3 or 4 ties.
Alcazar
Old 29 September 2002, 07:56 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

took a byke rack with 2 bykes to the rally of germany BIG MISTAKE i have a sti5 spoiler and it took a gouge out of it and dinked the boot also the car was unbeleivably uneconomical and you cant exactly boot the car

so dont do it i wont again
Old 30 September 2002, 09:12 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

I have a Thule roof mount, which I use to carry 2 moutainbikes.
The unit is totally secure and well engineered.
It's safe enough to go at a fair pace. The manual says it's tested to 80mph, but I've gradually eased it up to 90+ and it's not even shown signs of vibration or movement.[All this on my own private road of course!]

It does hit your fuel economy. Mine goes down from about 24mpg on a long run to 18-20mpg.

I've done a number of trips to Wales and back, each time over 160miles each way and I've never had a spot of trouble.

The other thing I like about Thule is that if you change the car you just need to change the 'fitting feet' for the new model, so you don't have to start all over again and buy a new rack.
This means my mate has the fitting kit for his Clio and we take turns in driving.

It is pricey stuff, I paid £170 for my setup (with 2 bike carriers), but having used other racks I'd say it was far superior, and will last forever.

[Edited by Sheepsplitter - 9/30/2002 9:13:27 AM]

[Edited by Sheepsplitter - 9/30/2002 9:13:44 AM]
Old 30 September 2002, 11:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sheepsplitter: How does your Thule fit to the roof of the Scoob?
I've got the actual Scoob roofbars, and to say they were difficult to fit, would be an understatement. I have to find these sort of slots under the roof strips, and you have to have thumbs like Arnie to hold the strip back, and force the clip in b4 fitting the bars. Is the Thule any easier?
Alcazar
Old 30 September 2002, 01:12 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Thule uses a rubber 'foot' which is clamped against the roof using a sliding and locking leg system. It's quite clever and means once you are used to fitting it it takes about 1 minute to fit the entire rack.
So yes I'd say it's almost certain the Thule unit is much easier to use.