Notices

ANY STI 6 OUT THERE?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2002, 01:04 AM
jonnyesse
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SEEM TO FIND VERY LITTLE INFO ON GUYS/GALS WITH A STI 6 I HAVE A YELLOW 6 AND LOVE TO HERE FROM OTHERS/ ARE THEY THE RAREST VERSION/ BEST? I CANNOT FAULT MINE HENCE AM APPREHENSIVE TO ORDER CATLESS DOWNPIPE AND NEW BACKBOX AS I WOULD HATE TO END UP WITH OVERBOOST/FUEL CUT OFF PROBLEMS OR ADD A FLAT PART TO THE POWER CURVE. ANY ONE OUT THERE WITH A 6 WITH ANY THOUGHTS OR EXPERIENCES WOULD BE A GODSEND
Old 17 September 2002, 09:51 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey mate,
Join the club. Bought myself an STI 6 Type R V-Limited about 4 months ago. I can say that its been a pleasure to own and drive the car. I cant report any problems with it at all.
My spec is pretty standard appart from the Fujitsubo exhaust system. Have you experienced any problems with yours???

Cheers

Gez
Old 18 September 2002, 12:51 AM
jonnyesse
Scooby Regular

cheers for reply gez, no problems so far but i would love to now if your exhaust system is a free flowing type without cats and if it added anything to the feel of the car or is it a sound thing only as i'm concerned about tubo spinning up too quickly and causing fuel cut off momentarily as i've heard other scooby owners describing. as for my car, i choose it after a extended day out in an evo 5 then the sti 6 and thought the overall feel and power delivery was better in the 6 and i would hate to loose anything by modding
Old 18 September 2002, 09:19 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

I have a Fujitsubo exhaust on my car which is pretty good! Its a cat back system so i dont get any of the problems that others get ie fuel cut etc. Many peoplpe hvae been surprised by how my car just does not detonate AT ALL. I think we were lucky in that respect because theay must have played with the fuel map slightly. If you want to go down the route of tuning it is a must that you replace the standard JECS ecu. DOnt go for the piggy backs as i dont really trust them. It doesnt have to be expensive either, i bought a LINK ecu with the Knocklink (detonation/knock detector), Lamda Link (Air/fuel ratio meter) and the tuning module all for £600. As you may already know, with this ecu you get wrid of the MAF sensor and once mapped by someone good ie Bob RAwle, you can be running 330bhp with a full exhaust system and induction kit. You can also rest assured that the car is not going to blow up due to detonation.

Cheers

Gerry
Old 18 September 2002, 02:50 PM
jonnyesse
Scooby Regular

cheers gerry,
very interesting ideas, incidently what is the exact ecu kit u used and from where? and lastly would u recommend leaving the original downpipe with cat in and just replace the middle cat so as to get some back pressure. with ur system does the turbo spool up any earlier, mine comes in very hard at about 3500 rpm.i've also noticed recently that my 112mph speed limiter is still in place, have u taken this off and how?
cheers jonny esse
Old 18 September 2002, 03:12 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Personally i would get a full system HKS or BLITZ(very loud) and then an HKS de-cat pipe. Next would be an induction kit, either HKS race suction kit or Blitz or Apexi Super suction. Once all this is fitted i would without fail get a Link ecu to remapp the car to take advantage of all the mods and the ability to use 97RON petrol or 98RON Optimax safely. the Link ecu is good as it gets wrid of the air flow sensor which is dodgy on Scoobs. If the air flow sensor fails the car will run lean and maybe blow up. You shouldnt put an induction kit if you are not going to replace the ecu. The best peron to map the Link ecu is a chap called Bob Rawle who posts on scoobynet, try www.brdevelopments.com which will give you a rough idea ob prices. If you want to go a bit cheaper wait and keep on looking on the classifieds pages to see if one comes for sale.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gerry
Old 18 September 2002, 05:13 PM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

Gone the Link route too with my STI 5 Type R. One word, fantastic!

There's a Link, Knocklink and Lambdalink for sale on here...

Get it bought and get it booked into Bob...

Daver
Old 19 September 2002, 09:06 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

I saved myself a lot of money! I bought a Link, Knocklink, Lamda Link and Tuning module for £600. NOT BAD EHHHH??
Old 19 September 2002, 09:19 AM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

I got Link, KnockLink and LambdaLink for £500....
Old 19 September 2002, 09:42 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Not bad! Not bad at all. Bob Rawle mapped it obviously.
What improvements did you find from the standard unit?