Notices

How likely is my Big End No3 to go again after an Engine Rebuild ??

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 02:41 PM
stealth20v
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,

I have owned a Scoob now for just over a month, well physically had it to drive anyway, its close to 3 months though in my name.
My engine is now getting rebuilt at Graham Goode Racing with a Modified Oil Pump wich will apparently rectify the issue of it happening again.

My questions is, has anybody else had a big end no3 go (or go on them more then twice) What was the ball part figure for the rebuild and did it not dis-way you from owning another scoob ?

Cheers,

Scott
Old 12 September 2002, 02:57 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

better off in drivetrain!

rebuilt engines tend to be less prone to "going" again if they are built well.

Have you rebuilty it to standard spec?

engine builds for labour alone can cost anything from 1200 to 2k plus vat.

I am nto now and have never been convinced by ggrs uprated oil pump.

the group a, group n and wrc cars dont run it, and have been fine for a long time.

the only things they do is up the strength of the oil pressure relief valve meanign the car runs greater oil pressure. teh standard pump design is very good, and personally I would be mroe concerned about the modded ones going. I know of three uprated oil pumps, all of which have been cracked open to find the valve stuck in the bore.

if you are rebuilding, it may be worth you spending an exra £600 or so pounds and gettign uprated rods as if you up boost etc, you have strengthened the weakest part of the engine.

My engine has failed, and I am not put off into thinking a standard engine will go again. I have strenegthened everythign there is to strengthen, but then I am looking at raising the power significantly.
Old 12 September 2002, 04:44 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Had a new short engine last month (under extended Subaru warranty thankfully) and a couple of tuners suggested an oil cooler would be a good idea to prevent it happening again, even though I have 3 year's warranty on the new engine.

I'm not convinced though - any views on this ?
Old 12 September 2002, 05:36 PM
Ivor_the_engine_ChooChoo!
Scooby Regular

I reckon an oil cooler would be a good idea. On another link about using the EJ motors in flying thingies, they do say that the subaru oil cooler, being made mostly of stainless steel, is crap, as stainless as a heat conductor, is crap.
Either way, no-one seems to know a real fix for the problem, so may as well just live with the risk that it may happen again, taking whatever precautions we can to prevent it.