Notices

Can't get gears all of a sudden. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2002, 04:21 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Driving home from work tonight and noticed that the side to side movement of the gear lever had become very slack recently. Then about 10 mins later when I opened her up on the dual carriageway near home I went to change into fourth and had trouble finding it. I then slowed down to join the queue of traffic turning right at my exit roundabout, I went to put it in first and found it wouldn't go without being forced, it shifted to second OK, so I left it there until I got home, 1/2 mile ish, then struggled to get it into reverse to put it on the drive and now it won't come out of gear!
Is there something on the selector assembly that could have slipped, or is my 'box knackered?
Old 30 August 2002, 05:47 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

It sounds like the linkage is fubar'd in some way....get under the car and have a look at things, there is one rod going to the gear change thingamajiggy on the tranny, and one rod going from the gearbox to the chassies (sorta, you'll know what I mean when U see it).

Have a look beneath the gearleaver surround as well, could be the linkage that's come loose from the stick itself.

/J
Old 30 August 2002, 06:38 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Similar symtoms can be related to the clutch.
Old 30 August 2002, 11:52 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Red face

Cheers SecretAgentMan, I'll have a look in the morning.

Brun, it hadn't better be the clutch, it's only been in there for 1500 miles!
Old 31 August 2002, 12:14 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got my fingers crossed for ya. Let us know if you have any success!
Old 31 August 2002, 12:44 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

I have had some similar symptoms on my car but it seams to come and go I have also only had my new clutch in for 2000 miles I was wondering if its possible that now the new clutch has beded in a bit that the clutch would need re-adjusting?

is reajusting the clutch an easy job ? can any body advise how this is done?

Alistair
Old 02 September 2002, 12:41 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It's not looking good, I had the lever out and the selector linkage apart yesterday, and there is no play in any of it. Itseems like it could be something to do with the operation of the selector assembly withing the 'box, once it is in gear it still drives ok, the problem is getting it to go from one gear to another.
Anyway, I've given up, and booked it into the garage tomorrow morning.
Old 05 September 2002, 02:36 AM
AliG
Scooby Regular

any news ?

or cany anybody answer my question about the clutch

Ali G
Old 07 September 2002, 07:42 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Latest news on my car - AliG, this may be of interest to you also.
I contacted my local Subaru dealer, on Monday morning, told them what the problem was and booked it in for the Tuesday. They removed the 'box from the car, and examined the clutch actuator and assembly, and also the selector lever into the 'box. Last thing on Tuesday they contacted me to inform me that the release bearing assembly was pulling out of the coverplate, causing the clutch to not fully disengage.
Apparently on Scoobs, the release bearing passes through the coverplate and is retained by a snap ring, on my car this snap ring was not engaging properly and allowing the bearing to pull free.
On the Wednesday morning, I contact the guy from whom I purchased the clutch, an uprated assembly purchased following advice requested on this board, and given by several satisfied previous customers. I told the guy what the Dealer's service manager had told me, he offered to contact them directly and come up with a solution. The current state of play is that he has despatched, at his own expense, a new coverplate and release bearing for them to fit.
I would just like to say that the professionalism of both parties has impressed and reassured me, It is to be expected of a Main Dealer (or should be), but if I am honest, I was not entirely sure of what the clutch suppliers reaction would be, as he is a one man operation, whose only references had come from this BB. however his attitude and professional manner were better than the vast majority of the larger, established tuning parts companies.
I am told by both the clutch supplier and the Dealer that the components concerned on the uprated unit are actually made by the same company that make the genuine Subaru units, so given my luck, this failure could just have easily occurred if I had bought a genuine clutch. Apart from this incident, which I am just chalking up to Sod's Law, & Duks Luck, I am Very Impressed with the clutch assembly, the pedal is slightly firmer than Std, but it is nothing like the AP units I have tried, including the one in my XR4x4. I used to be able to smoke the old std unit (from a couple of hundred miles after fitment) just backing onto my drive, and my wife wouldn't drive the car because it would spin up on her at least once every time she used it The new has already done 2-3k, including a fair few full bore blasts through the gears (but not fast 'racing' changes), and not once has it even whimpered, let alone wilted. If anybody want's any further info on the unit, drop me a mail and I will mail you the supplier's details.

I obviously do not know yet whether this has resolved my particular problem, but the Dealer's service manager has told me that, whilst this particular problem isn't common on new clutch assemblies, he has experienced it before, so this may be the situation with your car AliG.

The only reason I have withheld the names of the parties involved is, that I have not asked their permission to mention them. So out of courtesy, I won't
Old 15 September 2002, 12:15 AM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Thanks fore the comprihensive update. luckly mine doesnt seem to bad at the moment so will leave it for now but I get the feeling this info will prove usefull in the future

Ali G