Notices

AVCS oil solenoid missing?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2023, 01:48 AM
spovis
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVCS oil solenoid missing?

I am in the closing stages (hopefully) of an engine swap putting a jdm ej207 into a 2003 wrx. I have one last loose end to tie up, and that is the AVCS oil solenoids. The engine does not have avcs at all. I did not notice until recently, but there are mounting brackets for the avcs oil solenoid on the top of the cylinder heads next to the valve covers. I have seen pictures of other peoples engines, and from what I can tell it looks like there is supposed to be an oil line with a banjo bolt that attaches right there, as well as a solenoid that slides in the back with a sensor which regulates the oil flow.

My question: since I dont have AVCS and there is no oil flowing out the end of the camshaft, is it safe for me to just plug up all the holes for that bracket? There is a threaded hole in the top (planning on putting a short bolt in there) a non-threaded hole in the back (planning on putting an aluminum plug in there), and an open face on the side facing the middle of the engine (planning on covering with a piece of flat aluminum).

I hesitate to do this because I haven't seen anyone else do it, but I think since I don't need that oil flow I should be good right? Or does that also provide oil to the cam itself in its journal bearings or lobes? If thats the case then I'll need to find someone willing to sell me some parts...

This is the mounting bracket in question. This is the one on the drivers side. You can see the open face I mentioned.