Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2023, 04:53 PM
Lewtyn
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Line

Hi All,

I've swapped out my fuel filter this morning (possibly the first time in the cars 24 years) with the expectation that it would just turn over and start back up again. This hasn't proven to be the case.

Since I've only changed the filter, I'm struggling to see why, but it won't fire up gain. Turning over as usual.

I'm guessing I have an air lock and have ordered a hand pump that I will have on Monday.

Any suggestions in the meantime are welcome?

Thanks
Martyn
Old 30 July 2023, 04:02 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lewtyn
Hi All,

I've swapped out my fuel filter this morning (possibly the first time in the cars 24 years) with the expectation that it would just turn over and start back up again. This hasn't proven to be the case.

Since I've only changed the filter, I'm struggling to see why, but it won't fire up gain. Turning over as usual.

I'm guessing I have an air lock and have ordered a hand pump that I will have on Monday.

Any suggestions in the meantime are welcome?

Thanks
Martyn
well if it were a diesel you’d just crack the injector pump or an injector , I’d of thought it would self bleed with enough cranking ? Otherwise I guess it’s just to bleed air as close as you can to combustion ? Fpr/ fuel line ?
Old 30 July 2023, 04:05 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

you shouldnt need to bleed the system. Just turn the ignition on, let the pump prime, turn it off, turn it on again and let it prime, repeat a few times, and then try start the car.

Done a few pump swaps and its straight forward an simple.

If its not priming at all, i wonder if you have somehow managed to connect the pump up wrong? Re check the installation.

found from a previous issue with a pump change. As I thought you shouldn’t need to bleed as such it’s automatic give it a try
Old 30 July 2023, 05:50 PM
Lewtyn
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 4evascoob
you shouldnt need to bleed the system. Just turn the ignition on, let the pump prime, turn it off, turn it on again and let it prime, repeat a few times, and then try start the car.

If its not priming at all, i wonder if you have somehow managed to connect the pump up wrong? Re check the installation.

found from a previous issue with a pump change. As I thought you shouldn’t need to bleed as such it’s automatic give it a try
Thanks for getting back. The impression I'm getting is that whatever has happened is a bit out of the ordinary!

I'm wondering if it's possible that the fuel pump motor has burnt out after turning over excessively while pushing against air in the system?

I've since tried disconnecting the fuel line on the incoming side of the filter and turning the ignition on several times to get the pump to prime but no fuel is coming though. I've got a hand pump to try drawing fuel through the system tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Fuel filter connections are in good order.

Best guess is it's either the pump or the pump relay which is conveniently stashed high up under the dash...
Old 30 July 2023, 05:53 PM
Lewtyn
Scooby Newbie

I've not touched the pump as yet. Only the filter, which is in line and definetly connected to the lines correctly.
Old 30 July 2023, 06:24 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

I've not touched the pump as yet. Only the filter, which is in line and definetly connected to the lines correctly.
very bizarre , maybe a big chunk of air has got downwind of the filter and it’s pushing against it ? Should force it through though I’d of thought ? Have you tried priming and undoing past filter to see if fuel/air comes through ?
Old 30 July 2023, 06:26 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

The filter wasn’t clogged ? And maybe you have inadvertently dislodged muck further up ?
Old 30 July 2023, 11:16 PM
Lewtyn
Scooby Newbie

The filter wasn’t clogged ? And maybe you have inadvertently dislodged muck further up ?
Possibly, yes. There is fuel in the line at the pump end. Could try flushing it, nice one!
Old 31 July 2023, 03:14 PM
Lewtyn
Scooby Newbie

Turns out I've had a bizarre coincidence!

Just had an electrician call round, voltage to the fuel pump for priming is OK. Gave the top plate of the fuel pump a good few knocks and the pump/motor freed up!

Only worked once though, so I'm fitting a new pump tomorrow
Old 31 July 2023, 06:04 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Turns out I've had a bizarre coincidence!

Just had an electrician call round, voltage to the fuel pump for priming is OK. Gave the top plate of the fuel pump a good few knocks and the pump/motor freed up!

Only worked once though, so I'm fitting a new pump tomorrow
glad you got to the bottom of it !