Notices

Installing cat for MOT

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2022, 02:19 AM
gerardc93
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing cat for MOT

Hi, my mot is coming up soon and I need to fit the cat back on for mot, I’m in Ireland and we don’t have the luxury of friendly mot testers (not to my knowledge anyway) as we have designated government run test centres, the car has been remapped but I just want see if anyone else fits their cat for mot and then removes it again afterwards? Is it a valid method to pass an mot or will the emissions still fail due to the map?

I have had the car pass mot already without the cat installed and I’m absolutely baffled to as how as I would have thought it would fail emissions test 100% without the cat regardless of the visual inspection and them seeing it missing but I’m genuinely stumped how it passed both.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 20 September 2022, 09:41 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

just as handy buying a sport cat, fitting that and never worrying about it again. decat aint worth the hassle on road cars any longer given the near negligible gains over a good sport cat
Old 20 September 2022, 01:21 PM
gerardc93
Scooby Newbie

While I know that would be the best option I really don’t especially considering the greed going on in the energy and fuel market right now have the extra money to be able to afford a 3-£400 sports cat and then another £300 odd to get it mapped in properly.
Old 20 September 2022, 02:02 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

If it passes the emissions test they generally don't bother looking for it.
Old 20 September 2022, 03:40 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Ask Joe he knows where to go.

But as said sell your cat. If it's an original uk car the cat will pay for a sports cat and a remap. Decat pipes are not worth it. Government will just start cracking down on them.

All though mine has a sports cat and no remap.
Old 20 September 2022, 04:09 PM
gerardc93
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi

But as said sell your cat. If it's an original uk car the cat will pay for a sports cat and a remap. Decat pipes are not worth it. Government will just start cracking down on them.

it came without one, I had no reason to suspect it didn’t as it passed its first mot when I got it here and only realised recently when I went to put on a new back box and had it on a ramp, I have a friend who has a spare one I can bolt on and off for mot but other than that I’m snookered really.

if the useless f****r who mot’d it had spotted it I would have done it straight away, but of course I find out in the middle of an energy crises 😂
Old 21 September 2022, 11:21 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Buy sports cat bud, don't know what energy crisis has to do with you running a decat. I couldn't be bothered swapping them over every year. It's bad enough running a 100 cell sports cat.

Originally Posted by gerardc93
it came without one, I had no reason to suspect it didn’t as it passed its first mot when I got it here and only realised recently when I went to put on a new back box and had it on a ramp, I have a friend who has a spare one I can bolt on and off for mot but other than that I’m snookered really.

if the useless f****r who mot’d it had spotted it I would have done it straight away, but of course I find out in the middle of an energy crises 😂
Old 21 September 2022, 11:35 AM
gerardc93
Scooby Newbie

Buy sports cat bud, don't know what energy crisis has to do with you running a decat. I couldn't be bothered swapping them over every year. It's bad enough running a 100 cell sports cat.
The energy crises causing people to have zero disposable income anymore is probably what I meant but yea why would it affect me getting a 4-500 cat for my car 🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 21 September 2022, 02:35 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

the only other options i can think of is get a universal sport cat and get it welded in to the existing downpipe - not quite as expensive but still a bit of a ballache

or your friendly subaru garage/mechanic could have a cat they will put on for you for MOT and revert to decat after it passes - that way you dont need to remap as you just drive to MOT off boot

Old 21 September 2022, 08:06 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Out of curiosity, I'm assuming the 3rd cat in a Bug/blob isn't sufficient on it's own to pass an MOT? Seems like it might be easier to fit a temporary cat in that position than in the downpipes given bolt access etc, but if it's further away from the heat source then I'm guessing this reduces the efficiency? But then again weren't the Group N cats on the older car basically sat in the backbox?
Old 21 September 2022, 10:31 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

As said and shown before any test station as long as the vehicle is mapped correctly.
If it passes the emissions test they have no reason to look especially if the undertrays are fitted.
Old 22 September 2022, 12:34 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

There's a new cap on energy and rebate coming.
£400-£500 where are you shopping lol £200 job done.

Originally Posted by gerardc93
The energy crises causing people to have zero disposable income anymore is probably what I meant but yea why would it affect me getting a 4-500 cat for my car 🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 22 September 2022, 12:36 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Well it looks like his car isn't mapped correctly then. Mines just gone in for mot, mot guy said he thinks I just need some new plugs to pass mot as it was struggling with 100 cell cat.

Originally Posted by 1509joe
As said and shown before any test station as long as the vehicle is mapped correctly.
If it passes the emissions test they have no reason to look especially if the undertrays are fitted.