Notices

Upgraded engine & 'box mount options

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2022, 02:31 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Upgraded engine & 'box mount options

Just after a little feedback as to some options I'm mulling over, and if anyone has compared these. Budget isn't the major constraint but then with all the other bushes etc I'm currently buying for the rear end it's not unlimited. So, the options;

Group N
Hardrace
Beatrush polybushes
Beatrush copies from eBay

Hardrace and Group N are roughly comparable on price although the Hardrace are probably possible a little cheaper through a friend who can get them on account. Obviously both these options are going to have less NVH than polybush options, but as the car covers bugger all daily mileage these days and is predominantly saved for summer dry day hoons that's not really a major issue. Has anyone compared the Hardrace and Group N's side by side?

Beatrush are probably OTT in the performance vs cost benefit, and therefore the HR/Gp.N options would likely win out. However, I came across the chinesium copies on eBay which seemed very keenly priced in comparison to the alternatives, and although I'd replace all the bolts with known quantity 12.9 items to be sure, I'm thinking they're pretty basic items that are actually cheap to produce if you have cheap labour, and they're not really of a design that should fail catastrophically like some engine mounts and therefore the price isn't that suspiciously cheap. So is this a case of one bit of cheapness too far or are they actually a reasonable option? And if they are, are the rubber options still going to offer superior performance?
Old 15 June 2022, 05:47 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/sub..._mount_sti_wrx
I have these - design means they don't tear apart if the rubber fails. Droney on a long run though.

I'd stay with a stock pitch mount - unless you like a rattling dash - I have hardrace at the moment

Six speed? I'd stay with the medium stiffness gearbox mount - ST410224S000 (still has the stock 41022FE010 embossed in the rubber, but the rubber durometer is harder) - I currently have this
ST410224S040 group n gearbox mount is harsh.

Last edited by 2pot; 15 June 2022 at 06:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 18 June 2022, 10:12 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Not sure what happened to my original reply, but many thanks, it's much appreciated.

I don't mind drone so much as I tend to just put noise cancelling over ear headphones for longer journeys. What's the NVH like on them? The Vibration technics look suspiciously like the Beatrush, and eBay, items.

Noted on the pitch mount. I take it the hardrace is giving the rattling dash?

Sadly I'm still on the 5spd, I've not yet mustered the enthusiasm to drop the money people are asking for 6psd DCCD boxes these days given how little the car gets driven and how much money I seem to be spending on other things in life at the moment. I'll do something about it at some point, but for the foreseeable the 5spd will remain. I take it that just leaves me with stock, poly or group N/hardrace as options rather than middle ground Subaru options?
Old 19 June 2022, 09:22 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I've gone grp N for mounts, because they were OEM on my car. However, I put in a Fuji pitch mount, which whilst entertainingly raw for a while, has become wearing now. Back to an Sti grp N one for me.
Old 19 June 2022, 11:12 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ST-X
Not sure what happened to my original reply, but many thanks, it's much appreciated.

I don't mind drone so much as I tend to just put noise cancelling over ear headphones for longer journeys. What's the NVH like on them? The Vibration technics look suspiciously like the Beatrush, and eBay, items.

Noted on the pitch mount. I take it the hardrace is giving the rattling dash?

Sadly I'm still on the 5spd, I've not yet mustered the enthusiasm to drop the money people are asking for 6psd DCCD boxes these days given how little the car gets driven and how much money I seem to be spending on other things in life at the moment. I'll do something about it at some point, but for the foreseeable the 5spd will remain. I take it that just leaves me with stock, poly or group N/hardrace as options rather than middle ground Subaru options?
Beatrush use poly, as do the ebay versions.
Vibra-technics use rubber.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222301124...EAAOSwKOJYGJqc
'big15' in the add voucher section, will, currently, give you 15% off.
They do a matching 5speed gearbox mount - too harsh, for road use, imo.

I don't think I'd use a stiffer pitch mount, on the road.

The bolt through mount designs, even in rubber, increase NVH. But, if your engine torque is high enough, or your surfaces rough enough, then even if the rubber fails, you haven't got to worry about this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	failed groupn.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	72906  
Old 19 June 2022, 11:29 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

@Don Clark

Is there a single gc/gd fsm that gives the correct torque setting for the engine mount to crossmember? 85N/m is obviously wrong. Did it get amended in later manuals?
Old 19 June 2022, 03:11 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

I’ve tried quite a few different setups over the years and always go back to Group N, it’s has the best combination of increased strength vs NVH (it’s virtually at stock levels). However I’m currently building my car for over 700bhp and o do recognise that they might not be up to the job in these circumstances. If I want building a full on drag/sprint car the Group N’s would get my money every time.
Old 24 June 2022, 01:44 PM
86B
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cusco also makes a good uprated engine and transmission mount set.
I have a full set of Cusco engine, transmission, and pitch mount that have yet to be installed but they looks to be good quality sturdy mounts.
All bushings are of reinforced rubber not polyurethane. Engine and transmission mounts are of steel and pitch mount is CNC aluminum.
Another option to consider and the cost is quite reasonable.

https://cuscousainc.com/products/eng...gine-mount-set
Old 24 June 2022, 02:24 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I've noticed I change gear more with stiffer mounts.
Previously, if I'm in slightly too high a gear, with stock mounts and continue to accelerate, it's OK. With stiffer mounts I have to change down, as the significant extra vibration, within the cabin, makes a real racket.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2pot:
Old 24 June 2022, 05:51 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Solid engine and gearbox mounts here but with a straight cut box it's a no no for the pitch mount in 1-4, 5th is a very expensive UK ratio.
Old 03 July 2022, 12:43 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pot
I've noticed I change gear more with stiffer mounts.
Previously, if I'm in slightly too high a gear, with stock mounts and continue to accelerate, it's OK. With stiffer mounts I have to change down, as the significant extra vibration, within the cabin, makes a real racket.
Now that's definitely tangible feedback that's very useful to know, thanks. And thanks for all your other comments too, as well as the other feedback I've been given, it's all much appreciated.