Notices

Intermittent white smoke from vents & front bonnet.

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2022, 07:08 PM
Ray_04WRXUK
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent white smoke from vents & front bonnet.

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX. On a few occasions now whilst sitting in traffic /lights I get a smell from the vents , can't put my finger on the smell to describe but it follows with white smoke coming from the vents and can see it coming out the bonnet, it's not loads of smoke but enough to notice. Obviously pull over to investigate but cannot locate where it is coming from.

Things I know that are not quite right which may help, my heater does not seem to heat up as well as I remember before. The air conditioning isn't working, have charged with refrigerate but still not working. When I turn the steering when parking etc...I get stuttering /vibrations through the steering. When going national speed limits, steering is shaking.

​​​​​​Any insight would be appreciated or elimination processes.

Thanks in advance.

Old 26 April 2022, 07:00 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Think you a few issues there bud:

Sweet smell is antifreeze
134A a/C gas is a chemically cleaner type smell a bit like ammonia or butane
Oil smells like the oil in an overheated frying pan
Burning Rubber...belts/pulley slipping

A/C not working is probably because the has has leaked out again. Likely curlprit is the condensor, looks for a oily patch on it, that's usually where it leaks (corrosion from salt put in the roads as well as stones or number being flexed if grounded or impacted...even lightly).

Iffy steering could be low PAS fluid or belt slipping. Also check out crank pulley isn't wobbling as that the rubber damper could have seperated and started slipping, which can also cause steering issues as well as a burning rubber smell.

Shaking steering at 70-80mph is almost certain out of balance tyres, or a buckled wheel. Worn suspension and shocks can amplify any imbalance. But first call is balance them and check inside rim runs true when rotated.

Heater could be stat sticking open or air in the cooling system. Latter usually happens if there is a leak or someone messed up the coolant change.
Old 26 April 2022, 07:37 AM
Ray_04WRXUK
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Think you a few issues there bud:

Sweet smell is antifreeze
134A a/C gas is a chemically cleaner type smell a bit like ammonia or butane
Oil smells like the oil in an overheated frying pan
Burning Rubber...belts/pulley slipping

A/C not working is probably because the has has leaked out again. Likely curlprit is the condensor, looks for a oily patch on it, that's usually where it leaks (corrosion from salt put in the roads as well as stones or number being flexed if grounded or impacted...even lightly).

Iffy steering could be low PAS fluid or belt slipping. Also check out crank pulley isn't wobbling as that the rubber damper could have seperated and started slipping, which can also cause steering issues as well as a burning rubber smell.

Shaking steering at 70-80mph is almost certain out of balance tyres, or a buckled wheel. Worn suspension and shocks can amplify any imbalance. But first call is balance them and check inside rim runs true when rotated.

Heater could be stat sticking open or air in the cooling system. Latter usually happens if there is a leak or someone messed up the coolant change.
Thanks Ali.

Lot to digest and go through, all seemed to come on in one where it's been good as gold.

​​​will need to look into the white smoke too.

Old 01 May 2022, 09:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

cam covers are prone to leaking which drips oil onto the exhaust manifolds.
it burns off, and is often visible only when car is at rest.
Old 01 May 2022, 10:21 PM
Ray_04WRXUK
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
cam covers are prone to leaking which drips oil onto the exhaust manifolds.
it burns off, and is often visible only when car is at rest.
Would that not be all the time rather then time to time?