Notices

One of many Issues

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2022, 11:28 AM
Kingston-dave
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question One of many Issues

Hi all, my name is Dave. New member, first time poster, second time Impreza Owner.
I recently purchased an '02', Bugeye WRX. When I bought the car, I knew the clutch had gone and that the car hadn't run for over 4 years. After that, I don't know much about the car, apart from it hasn't seen much love.

After many hours in my garage, it now runs and driver under it's own steam, but I do have a few issue which I'm going to need help with. The main problems are, a poor tick-over, feels like its got a miss-fire. A very bad flat-spot below 2k revs (almost un-driveable on low throttle). Engine management light is on.

Before I ask for help with the main faults, I want to sort out a couple of things on the car (which may, or may not help with the overall problems), and its these that I need help with to start with. To keep it simple, I'll ask about these one at a time.

My first problem relates to the Dump valve/BOV. The car is fitted with a horrible after market Dump Valve which dumps to atmosphere. I want to convert the car back to standard, and this is where my problems start. Whilst I can find several standard Blow off valves/recirculating valves for sale, I cannot find any body selling or listing the pipe that should go from the valve to the air inlet pipe.

Secondly, from looking at threads and google searches, it appears that the pipe that runs from the MAF to the turbo, should have a union where the pipe from the BOV should connect. But the air intake pipe on my car (although looking original) does not seem to have any such union.

Your thoughts and any help would be much appreciated.

Old 27 January 2022, 11:55 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

For the bad idle check you've plumbed everything in correctly and check for air leaks, take off the idle air control valve (iacv) and clean it all out with brake/carb cleaner and cotton wool buds, also try realigning it when you put it back on, moving it a fraction can change idle dramatically. It's on top of the throttle body, rectangular, 2 screws that you have a good chance of snapping in two when you remove, has a gasket, sometimes you can reuse, sometimes you can't.

For the pipe speak to MB Developments on here, you'll find him in the breakers section.

Edit: also check the throttle cable is correctly adjusted, 2 12mm bolts on a thread attached to the front of the manifold, left side of the throttle body, should have little slack but not too much.

Another edit: if you have a td turbo then you can just blank off the bov, gives a nice flutter (not so much with a top mount) and the td can take it

Last edited by MrRtm; 27 January 2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 27 January 2022, 12:10 PM
Kingston-dave
Scooby Newbie

Thanks MrRtm.

I'll look at the idle control valve and check around for any air leaks.
What do you mean by 'td turbo'?
Old 27 January 2022, 12:19 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingston-dave
Thanks MrRtm.

I'll look at the idle control valve and check around for any air leaks.
What do you mean by 'td turbo'?
TD04, TDO5 It's the make of the turbo the VF turbos are more fragile. It's printed on the aluminium compressor housing.
Old 27 January 2022, 12:39 PM
Kingston-dave
Scooby Newbie

its a TD04