Notices

Best induction system up to 500bhp

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2020, 01:02 PM
P1CatTypeRA
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best induction system up to 500bhp

Hi. I'm trying to find out what would be the best induction system for my P1. I will be running it at about 320bhp on the stock vf28 for some time, but I want to future-proof it for when I go forged engine and bigger turbo.
I want to keep IAT's as low as possible (specially since I will be using a PW TMIC), without hurting response and spool, which are my priorities more than peak bhp.
I recon that for a VF28, OE airbox with Cosworth panel filter (what I currently have) is perfect... but let's assume that I already have a MDX321T fitted and I need the extra airflow.

After some research I rounded it up to three options:
RCM K&N Cone Filter (either the small one or the bigger)
Cheaper option and probably what would produce better airflow, and lowest lag. However I expect IAT's to be through the roof. I could perhaps fabricate a carbon airbox to cover the filter and insulate it from engine bay heat.

-GruppeM Ram air
https://www.gruppemdirect.com/produc...c8-gf8-impreza
Very expensive, but it seems to me the least compromised solution. Not sure if the smallish filter would be too restrictive for 450-500bhp though... but IAT's should be nice. As a plus, easy to access, and looks nice.

-Process West CAI
https://processwest.com.au/product/1...-99-00-WRX-STI
This one gets a little bit expensive again for what it is when you add customs and shipping. Flow and IAT's should be good enough... However not sure how the extra pipework would affect response...

Actual experiences with either of those solutions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 11 April 2020, 01:51 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

RCM induction kit in my opinion is the best for power.SJ.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11 April 2020, 03:39 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Remove the rubber strip from the bonnet,above the headlights, and the IAT isn't that much of a problem when driving at least. I have a Hybrid FMIC and can't remember my exact IAT's but they are not much over ambient temperature at all. I had my filter in the bumper 10 years ago but I gave up on that idea as you can't fit a decently sized filter down there, at least with the wheel arch liner in place.

I just use an 8" AEM Dryflow filter for now, the RCM kit is probably great but I prefer dry filters over oiled ones.

Looking at the Process West kit, that K&N filter will be way too small for decent power, I wouldn't be surprised if you could just as well keep your stock airbox instead. Run that as long as you can, it'll be difficult to find a better solution than that until more flow is needed.

The following users liked this post:
Old 13 April 2020, 11:18 AM
P1CatTypeRA
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you, I will do that. Probably when I change the turbo, I will go for RCM induction and a custom box to keep it isolated from engine bay heat.
The following 2 users liked this post by P1CatTypeRA: