Helping with abandoned 2002 WRX project - need some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2019, 05:29 PM
EunosPilot
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helping with abandoned 2002 WRX project - need some advice please

Hi,

I'm new here and was hoping for some advice . I have offered to repair my brother's 2002 WRX ( bugeye ) as a birthday present to him . He has been out of the country for 5 years now, and before he went, the car was in the middle of some repairs and mods and just got left ( ran out of time I guess before he moved to the States ). Currently standing on axle stands , no wheels or brakes, no fluid in the brake system, thick layer of dust everywhere ( including inside as , for reasons I can't imagine, the front windows where left open ). I have a number of replacement parts and all the stuff removed has been boxed. The garage is dry and warm ( its attached to the house ).

I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with.

1) Since the brake system has been dry for 5 years now, will the brake master cylinder and ABS unit need replacing or refurbishing ? I am slightly worried about the seals in these units ....

2) The diff looks like it has been leaking at some point ( or maybe just spillage from filling ). Are there seals on the drain and fill plugs that might have perished , or do I have a bigger problem ?

2) I have these rear trailing arm units in a box however there are no markings and no instructions ( All I know is there have come from the States ) . They look like the Cusco units, but are the wrong colour and some different fitments - can anyone identify these and are they safe to use ?

4) There are dark marks in the OSF drive shaft - is this indicative of gearbox oil seals gone ? Or maybe spilt brake fluid. ( The other drive shafts on the car are bone dry )

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by EunosPilot; 20 October 2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 20 October 2019, 09:42 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

1. I'd just replace the seals anyway, no point in filling it up to find they are leaking, abs unit I couldn't comment on

2. There's a gasket behind the metal back plate iirc, could be that or the plugs could be loose, again, as it's just been sat, may as well replace, could always clean, tighten and see if there's any seepage then replace if there is.

2(.1?) can't help you with that one, don't look like any I've seen but could just be custom painted

4.id say from draining the brake fluid but again, clean and keep an eye out to see if it comes back if you don't want to be checking all the surrounding possibilities straight away

Old 20 October 2019, 10:04 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Trailing arms and lateral links look similar to items available on Ebay

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_sop=...sacat=0&_oac=1
Old 21 October 2019, 01:15 AM
EunosPilot
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies and link. I followed your lead and looked on ebay US ( since these boxes came from the states ) and found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Adjust...UAAOSwCjFc84-T .

Am I right to be suspicious that $65 for 2 trailing arms seems too cheap , with the same style of arm from Cusco is around $500 dollars ?

Is there much benefit to fitting adjustable units ? The existing control arms on the car seem serviceable to me, maybe a repaint and new bushes.
Old 21 October 2019, 07:36 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by EunosPilot
Thanks for the replies and link. I followed your lead and looked on ebay US ( since these boxes came from the states ) and found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Adjust...UAAOSwCjFc84-T .

Am I right to be suspicious that $65 for 2 trailing arms seems too cheap , with the same style of arm from Cusco is around $500 dollars ?

Is there much benefit to fitting adjustable units ? The existing control arms on the car seem serviceable to me, maybe a repaint and new bushes.
Seeing that in your link above the items are in fact in/from China (check shipping info) price is not a surprise. When you include the shipping and import VAT real price is about $130.