Notices

New & confused!

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2019, 05:21 PM
Izno
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New & confused!

Hi everyone. This is my first post and hope im not breaking any rules by asking for help on this but i have searched the problem and did find a similar thread but not as specific to my situation

I bought a 1997 subaru impreza turbo 2000 uk that needs some work done to pass MOT. (It had been lying up for 2 years)

Welding. Brakes seized. Tyres split etc. Anyway it was taken to an MOT centre by my mechanic to see what was needed to pass and i just noticed it was taken 14 miles and lost a quarter tank of petrol??? Also my mechanic said the car was driving like there was no turbo when he put the foot down. No pull whatsoever. The previous owner told me a new turbo had been fitted with less than 1000 miles on it and has never been remapped

Anyone have any ideas what would cause the petrol to drain so quickly, this is my main concern. As for the turbo/power issue i am having that checked out after the retest
Old 11 September 2019, 05:34 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izno
Hi everyone. This is my first post and hope im not breaking any rules by asking for help on this but i have searched the problem and did find a similar thread but not as specific to my situation

I bought a 1997 subaru impreza turbo 2000 uk that needs some work done to pass MOT. (It had been lying up for 2 years)

Welding. Brakes seized. Tyres split etc. Anyway it was taken to an MOT centre by my mechanic to see what was needed to pass and i just noticed it was taken 14 miles and lost a quarter tank of petrol??? Also my mechanic said the car was driving like there was no turbo when he put the foot down. No pull whatsoever. The previous owner told me a new turbo had been fitted with less than 1000 miles on it and has never been remapped

Anyone have any ideas what would cause the petrol to drain so quickly, this is my main concern. As for the turbo/power issue i am having that checked out after the retest
Have you checked the fuel filler pipe in the rear arch? they tend to rust out if not protected. What turbo was fitted, refurb td04? Check the plastic intercooler hoses as they are prone to cracking
Old 11 September 2019, 08:03 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Izno

Maybe you answered you're own question
Old 11 September 2019, 08:29 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Do the basics first like fuel filter spark plugs and air filter and see if it improves.

Being sat a while the fuel gauge sender could be sticking and giving a false reading.
Old 11 September 2019, 08:39 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

What was the test station results it should of told you where the brakes binding and you would of got some sort of indication from the emissions how it was running.
Old 17 September 2019, 08:03 PM
Izno
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. I dont have the fail sheet here, welder took it yesterday but i remember it saying all nearside and offside brakes were binding my welder is going to take on freeing up the brakes himself as its the cheaper option than what my mechanic quoted £1000+ for new brake discs, pads and calipers. 1 suspension balljoint needs fixed too if that helps anyone out. Im not the most mechanically minded so sorry if im a bit vague responding

Also there are no leaks, welder said he wouldnt go near it if there was so i dont think its the fuel filler pipe

Since ive ditched my mechanic does anyone know what the turbo issue might be? (no pull)
Old 17 September 2019, 08:54 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Brakes are cheap as chips bud, are they old 2 pots or do they have a Subaru logo on side of calipers? If so there 4 pot. You can get a new set for £175.

What's your reg?
Old 18 September 2019, 10:04 PM
Izno
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Brakes are cheap as chips bud, are they old 2 pots or do they have a Subaru logo on side of calipers? If so there 4 pot. You can get a new set for £175.

What's your reg?
Theyre 4pot front. 2pot rear. Was up at welders today and yes they have the subaru logo on the side
Reg: R753 JTW