Advice on turbos

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2019, 06:56 PM
Jamie_G
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on turbos

Right folks,

could really do with some advice please, car has just come back from having a 2.1 stroker kit fitted, once car has been run in plan was to go down the root of the SC46 turbo, after trawling the net for god knows how many hours and days have noticed some people have come back and said the turbo hasn’t reached expected power and some have said about running out of steam at the 460bhp mark.

Could really do with some advice on turbos or if any one has had the sc46 fitted how they have found it, really struggling to find a good twin scroll that will see 500bhp but not constantly running at full chat.

Cheers in advance all.
Old 29 March 2019, 07:19 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_G
Right folks,

could really do with some advice please, car has just come back from having a 2.1 stroker kit fitted, once car has been run in plan was to go down the root of the SC46 turbo, after trawling the net for god knows how many hours and days have noticed some people have come back and said the turbo hasn’t reached expected power and some have said about running out of steam at the 460bhp mark.

Could really do with some advice on turbos or if any one has had the sc46 fitted how they have found it, really struggling to find a good twin scroll that will see 500bhp but not constantly running at full chat.

Cheers in advance all.
you will only get the best out of the weakest part. really need to spec the mods across the board to achieve a specific goal.
Old 29 March 2019, 07:34 PM
Jon T
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Lateral performance MD321v
Old 29 March 2019, 11:01 PM
96sti
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

My sc46 makes the power on normal fuel and more on meth mate
Old 29 March 2019, 11:05 PM
Jamie_G
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 96sti
My sc46 makes the power on normal fuel and more on meth mate
What power are you making bud? On fuel and meth and so you find much lag in the turbo?
Old 30 March 2019, 10:00 AM
96sti
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I make 450 on normal fuel and 496 on meth both maps made it at 1.6 bar and couldnt raise the boost anymore for time being due to heads restricting me. But car still wanted boost i have a 2.3 mate so different to the 2.1 but i dont find it laggy atal
Old 05 April 2019, 08:58 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

The trouble is with the Blouch Turbo (rebranded as an SC46) is that the internals are not particularly high quality. I saw one opened up next to a Borg Warner and the difference was staggering. Could you look at Owen Developments, BW, or AET??
Old 05 April 2019, 11:14 PM
Jamie_G
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by funkyrimpler
The trouble is with the Blouch Turbo (rebranded as an SC46) is that the internals are not particularly high quality. I saw one opened up next to a Borg Warner and the difference was staggering. Could you look at Owen Developments, BW, or AET??
I literally found this out to day after speaking to a couple of companies which then made me come away from the SC46 I had a look at a MD321v and am also in talks with Simon at chevron motorsport for one of his turbos 👍🏻👍🏻 Finally feel like I’m getting some where.
Old 06 April 2019, 09:42 PM
Jamie_G
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RawleBill
lm450 owens twinentry/raggy turbo and lm400/ turbodynamics fresh builds both comes with big lag and below numbers
sc42+ twinscroll not bad but to much plastic inside
md321v is it twinscroll?
best bet owens twinscroll/John Felstead on vf36/vf37 exhaust housing -2220£ plus vat but max1.8 bar/480 horses

Im now in talks with Simon at chevron motorsport who has been really really helpful, we spoke about several turbos and looks like I’m now going to be getting him to do me one which will match up to the car and should see the figures that I’m looking for.
Old 06 April 2019, 09:44 PM
Jamie_G
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by funkyrimpler
Had replied to your comment last night but some reason didn’t wanna add it to the thread. Yea I had seen about the SC46 not having the best internals, that did really put me off so staying away from that. I’m now speaking with Simon at chevron who has been really helpful and looks like I’m going to get something off them.
Old 06 April 2019, 09:54 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Only ever heared good things about the sc turbos,I'm running one of the older sc42 ts and it's epic on a classic :
Old 14 April 2019, 07:36 AM
J0nas
Scooby Regular

Im running a turbo from Simon/chevron, the same as another member on here uses. It is expensive but it works really really nice on my 2.1 stroker
Old 15 April 2019, 10:15 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The Blouch SC turbos use Garrett cores as standard and they are good quality but they do use low friction plastic (presumably PTFE) bearing carriers. I've just had my SC42 billet upgraded by Turbo Dynamics to a metal bearing cage and ceramic bearings to increase life of turbo and improve spool even further.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 15 April 2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 15 April 2019, 12:12 PM
Jamie_G
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
The Blouch SC turbos use Garrett cores as standard and they are good quality but they do use low friction plastic (presumably PTFE) bearing carriers. I've just had my SC42 billet upgraded by Turbo Dynamics to a metal bearing cage and ceramic bearings to increase life of turbo and improve spool even further.
Cheers for the advice, I’ve come away from the SC series and gone with the MD321V people have said good things about it so let’s see if it is what people make it out to be 👌🏻👌🏻
Old 15 April 2019, 01:37 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

an interesting claim, i dont see how it will improve spool as the metal will be heavier and take longer to speed up rotationaly? (that's a genuine question as there may be other factors other than weight)

There are many different types of plastic retainers, depending on application and interestingly can be better than the metal ones due to reduced friction, which will drop running temps and improve spool.

https://www.smbbearings.com/technica...-retainer.html

I suspect this may be one of those types of things where it depends who you ask and what they are trying to sell you.
Old 15 April 2019, 01:44 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
an interesting claim, i dont see how it will improve spool as the metal will be heavier and take longer to speed up rotationaly? (that's a genuine question as there may be other factors other than weight)

There are many different types of plastic retainers, depending on application and interestingly can be better than the metal ones due to reduced friction, which will drop running temps and improve spool.

https://www.smbbearings.com/technica...-retainer.html

I suspect this may be one of those types of things where it depends who you ask and what they are trying to sell you.

I'm not saying the metal carriers will improve spool you melon. The metal bearing carriers are replacing the plastic OEM Blouch SC bearing carriers that are known to prematurely wear and cause turbo failure. I'm replacing those to prolong turbo life and get rid of a failure point that has always worried me with these SC turbos. Yes the weight of the metal carrier is marginally more than the plastic carrier... and I mean marginally, the weight saving with the ceramic bearings is vast compared to the metal bearings and brings the rotational mass down significantly overall, while making it stronger than it was originally and able to take more thrust on the bearings with less distortion.

The improvement to turbo spool is because I am swapping the standard metal ball bearings for ultra low friction light weight ceramic ball bearings. This is well known and well documented to improve the turbo spool.

Example:

The advantages of ceramic bearings are considerable. Ceramic bearing ***** can weigh up to 40% less than steel ones, depending on their size and the materials used, and this can reduce centrifugal loading and skidding, allowing hybrid ceramic bearings to operate 20-40% faster than conventional steel bearings. As a result, ceramic and hybrid ceramic bearings have less inertia, and thus in turbo applications can increase response rate over steel bearings. Ceramics also need far less lubrication than steel, further reducing the oil supply requirements over both ball bearing and journal bearing systems.

The thermal characteristics of ceramic ***** are also very attractive, as they experience minimal expansion even at very high temperatures.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 15 April 2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 15 April 2019, 03:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying the metal carriers will improve spool you melon. The metal bearing carriers are replacing the plastic OEM Blouch SC bearing carriers that are known to prematurely wear and cause turbo failure. I'm replacing those to prolong turbo life and get rid of a failure point that has always worried me with these SC turbos.

The improvement to turbo spool is because I am swapping the standard metal ball bearings for ultra low friction light weight ceramic ball bearings. This is well known and well documented to improve the turbo spool.

Example:
ah, reads as if changing the carrier improves spool as well lol
Old 15 April 2019, 03:15 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
ah, reads as if changing the carrier improves spool as well lol
Ah right, no carriers for strength, bearings for weight saving and increase in turbo response. Hopefully it should allow the turbo to pick up lower down and reduce lag further.
Old 11 October 2019, 11:17 PM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J0nas
Im running a turbo from Simon/chevron, the same as another member on here uses. It is expensive but it works really really nice on my 2.1 stroker
Hi mate what is the turbo you are running and any graphs or power figures it makes?
Old 11 October 2019, 11:18 PM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie_G
Had replied to your comment last night but some reason didn’t wanna add it to the thread. Yea I had seen about the SC46 not having the best internals, that did really put me off so staying away from that. I’m now speaking with Simon at chevron who has been really helpful and looks like I’m going to get something off them.
Did you get a turbo from Chevron?
Old 02 November 2019, 03:11 AM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Have heard Chevron do the 71hta turbos but haven't seen a dyno result for their turbos and what they actually make.. interested to see if anyone has the dyno run sheets for them.
Old 03 November 2019, 03:55 PM
daveriley123
Scooby Regular

Mines just made 650hp on vpower at 1.7 bar.
Old 03 November 2019, 04:00 PM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daveriley123
Mines just made 650hp on vpower at 1.7 bar.
Which turbo,?
Old 03 November 2019, 04:36 PM
daveriley123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nufctoon
Which turbo,?
Od gt35 motorsport, standard position.
Old 03 November 2019, 10:33 PM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular