ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Advice on turbos (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1058541-advice-on-turbos.html)

Jamie_G 29 March 2019 06:56 PM

Advice on turbos

Right folks,

could really do with some advice please, car has just come back from having a 2.1 stroker kit fitted, once car has been run in plan was to go down the root of the SC46 turbo, after trawling the net for god knows how many hours and days have noticed some people have come back and said the turbo hasn’t reached expected power and some have said about running out of steam at the 460bhp mark.

Could really do with some advice on turbos or if any one has had the sc46 fitted how they have found it, really struggling to find a good twin scroll that will see 500bhp but not constantly running at full chat.

Cheers in advance all.

Tidgy 29 March 2019 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie_G (Post 12049157)
Right folks,

could really do with some advice please, car has just come back from having a 2.1 stroker kit fitted, once car has been run in plan was to go down the root of the SC46 turbo, after trawling the net for god knows how many hours and days have noticed some people have come back and said the turbo hasn’t reached expected power and some have said about running out of steam at the 460bhp mark.

Could really do with some advice on turbos or if any one has had the sc46 fitted how they have found it, really struggling to find a good twin scroll that will see 500bhp but not constantly running at full chat.

Cheers in advance all.

you will only get the best out of the weakest part. really need to spec the mods across the board to achieve a specific goal.

Jon T 29 March 2019 07:34 PM

Lateral performance MD321v

96sti 29 March 2019 11:01 PM

My sc46 makes the power on normal fuel and more on meth mate

Jamie_G 29 March 2019 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by 96sti (Post 12049209)
My sc46 makes the power on normal fuel and more on meth mate

What power are you making bud? On fuel and meth and so you find much lag in the turbo?

96sti 30 March 2019 10:00 AM

I make 450 on normal fuel and 496 on meth both maps made it at 1.6 bar and couldnt raise the boost anymore for time being due to heads restricting me. But car still wanted boost i have a 2.3 mate so different to the 2.1 but i dont find it laggy atal

funkyrimpler 05 April 2019 08:58 PM

The trouble is with the Blouch Turbo (rebranded as an SC46) is that the internals are not particularly high quality. I saw one opened up next to a Borg Warner and the difference was staggering. Could you look at Owen Developments, BW, or AET??

Jamie_G 05 April 2019 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by funkyrimpler (Post 12050009)
The trouble is with the Blouch Turbo (rebranded as an SC46) is that the internals are not particularly high quality. I saw one opened up next to a Borg Warner and the difference was staggering. Could you look at Owen Developments, BW, or AET??

I literally found this out to day after speaking to a couple of companies which then made me come away from the SC46 I had a look at a MD321v and am also in talks with Simon at chevron motorsport for one of his turbos 👍🏻👍🏻 Finally feel like I’m getting some where.

Jamie_G 06 April 2019 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by RawleBill (Post 12050076)
lm450 owens twinentry/raggy turbo and lm400/ turbodynamics fresh builds both comes with big lag and below numbers
sc42+ twinscroll not bad but to much plastic inside
md321v is it twinscroll?
best bet owens twinscroll/John Felstead on vf36/vf37 exhaust housing -2220£ plus vat but max1.8 bar/480 horses

Im now in talks with Simon at chevron motorsport who has been really really helpful, we spoke about several turbos and looks like I’m now going to be getting him to do me one which will match up to the car and should see the figures that I’m looking for.

Jamie_G 06 April 2019 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by funkyrimpler (Post 12050009)

Had replied to your comment last night but some reason didn’t wanna add it to the thread. Yea I had seen about the SC46 not having the best internals, that did really put me off so staying away from that. I’m now speaking with Simon at chevron who has been really helpful and looks like I’m going to get something off them.

ossett2k2 06 April 2019 09:54 PM

Only ever heared good things about the sc turbos,I'm running one of the older sc42 ts and it's epic on a classic :notworthy:

J0nas 14 April 2019 07:36 AM

Im running a turbo from Simon/chevron, the same as another member on here uses. It is expensive but it works really really nice on my 2.1 stroker

BrownPantsRacing 15 April 2019 10:15 AM

The Blouch SC turbos use Garrett cores as standard and they are good quality but they do use low friction plastic (presumably PTFE) bearing carriers. I've just had my SC42 billet upgraded by Turbo Dynamics to a metal bearing cage and ceramic bearings to increase life of turbo and improve spool even further.

Jamie_G 15 April 2019 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12050695)
The Blouch SC turbos use Garrett cores as standard and they are good quality but they do use low friction plastic (presumably PTFE) bearing carriers. I've just had my SC42 billet upgraded by Turbo Dynamics to a metal bearing cage and ceramic bearings to increase life of turbo and improve spool even further.

Cheers for the advice, I’ve come away from the SC series and gone with the MD321V people have said good things about it so let’s see if it is what people make it out to be 👌🏻👌🏻

Tidgy 15 April 2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12050695)

an interesting claim, i dont see how it will improve spool as the metal will be heavier and take longer to speed up rotationaly? (that's a genuine question as there may be other factors other than weight)

There are many different types of plastic retainers, depending on application and interestingly can be better than the metal ones due to reduced friction, which will drop running temps and improve spool.

https://www.smbbearings.com/technica...-retainer.html

I suspect this may be one of those types of things where it depends who you ask and what they are trying to sell you.

BrownPantsRacing 15 April 2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12050728)
an interesting claim, i dont see how it will improve spool as the metal will be heavier and take longer to speed up rotationaly? (that's a genuine question as there may be other factors other than weight)

There are many different types of plastic retainers, depending on application and interestingly can be better than the metal ones due to reduced friction, which will drop running temps and improve spool.

https://www.smbbearings.com/technica...-retainer.html

I suspect this may be one of those types of things where it depends who you ask and what they are trying to sell you.

:facepalm2:

I'm not saying the metal carriers will improve spool you melon. The metal bearing carriers are replacing the plastic OEM Blouch SC bearing carriers that are known to prematurely wear and cause turbo failure. I'm replacing those to prolong turbo life and get rid of a failure point that has always worried me with these SC turbos. Yes the weight of the metal carrier is marginally more than the plastic carrier... and I mean marginally, the weight saving with the ceramic bearings is vast compared to the metal bearings and brings the rotational mass down significantly overall, while making it stronger than it was originally and able to take more thrust on the bearings with less distortion.

The improvement to turbo spool is because I am swapping the standard metal ball bearings for ultra low friction light weight ceramic ball bearings. This is well known and well documented to improve the turbo spool.

:thumb:

Example:

The advantages of ceramic bearings are considerable. Ceramic bearing balls can weigh up to 40% less than steel ones, depending on their size and the materials used, and this can reduce centrifugal loading and skidding, allowing hybrid ceramic bearings to operate 20-40% faster than conventional steel bearings. As a result, ceramic and hybrid ceramic bearings have less inertia, and thus in turbo applications can increase response rate over steel bearings. Ceramics also need far less lubrication than steel, further reducing the oil supply requirements over both ball bearing and journal bearing systems.

The thermal characteristics of ceramic balls are also very attractive, as they experience minimal expansion even at very high temperatures.

Tidgy 15 April 2019 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12050732)
:facepalm2:

I'm not saying the metal carriers will improve spool you melon. The metal bearing carriers are replacing the plastic OEM Blouch SC bearing carriers that are known to prematurely wear and cause turbo failure. I'm replacing those to prolong turbo life and get rid of a failure point that has always worried me with these SC turbos.

The improvement to turbo spool is because I am swapping the standard metal ball bearings for ultra low friction light weight ceramic ball bearings. This is well known and well documented to improve the turbo spool.

:thumb:

Example:

ah, reads as if changing the carrier improves spool as well lol

BrownPantsRacing 15 April 2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12050741)
ah, reads as if changing the carrier improves spool as well lol

Ah right, no carriers for strength, bearings for weight saving and increase in turbo response. Hopefully it should allow the turbo to pick up lower down and reduce lag further.

nufctoon 11 October 2019 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by J0nas (Post 12050626)
Im running a turbo from Simon/chevron, the same as another member on here uses. It is expensive but it works really really nice on my 2.1 stroker

Hi mate what is the turbo you are running and any graphs or power figures it makes?

nufctoon 11 October 2019 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie_G (Post 12050117)
Had replied to your comment last night but some reason didn’t wanna add it to the thread. Yea I had seen about the SC46 not having the best internals, that did really put me off so staying away from that. I’m now speaking with Simon at chevron who has been really helpful and looks like I’m going to get something off them.

Did you get a turbo from Chevron?

nufctoon 02 November 2019 03:11 AM

Have heard Chevron do the 71hta turbos but haven't seen a dyno result for their turbos and what they actually make.. interested to see if anyone has the dyno run sheets for them.

daveriley123 03 November 2019 03:55 PM

Mines just made 650hp on vpower at 1.7 bar.

nufctoon 03 November 2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by daveriley123 (Post 12065202)
Mines just made 650hp on vpower at 1.7 bar.

Which turbo,?

daveriley123 03 November 2019 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by nufctoon (Post 12065203)
Which turbo,?

Od gt35 motorsport, standard position.

nufctoon 03 November 2019 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by daveriley123 (Post 12065207)
Od gt35 motorsport, standard position.

wow that sounds mental, do you have a dyno graph ? would be interesting to see