Notices

Exhaust system advice needed (2005 STI PPP)

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2019, 10:37 AM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool Exhaust system advice needed (2005 STI PPP)

Hey folks,

some exhaust parts are starting to look a bit sorry so I’m thinking starting replacing and trying to improve it.

Currently it’s the 2005 STI PPP set-up with non-resonated mid pipe and a S202 back box, all 2.5 inch.

The sound is heroin, maybe a little on the loud and raspy side. It does drone a little on the motorway.
Would a resonated mid-pipe help quieten and deepen the note a bit? Any noticeable power loss with that?

And about the PPP cat, are there sports cats that offer better performance still passing mot?
Something like this for example:
http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=3396

I want to keep the S202 box and a cat that gets me through MOT, other than that I guess I’m trying to balance performance with not making peoples ears bleed.

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!
Old 19 January 2019, 11:12 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

You should already have have 200 cell I think it is sports cat with PPP setup. Yes resonated centre pipe will reduce cabin drone.

The downpipe on scooby world doesn't state if it's 100 cell or 200 cell. I have 100 cell. And pain in bum to pass mot. Needs heating up so much.

I would just keep your system and swap centre pipe. Will reduce exhaust noise and slightly performance. But nothing you'd notice I wouldn't think.
Old 19 January 2019, 01:59 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

As above just stick a resonated centre section in. It won't affect performance in any shape or form just quieten things down a bit
Old 19 January 2019, 02:47 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that sounds good. A flange on the second cat delete pipe has mostly corroded away so I would replace that, too, that’s why I was considering getting a one piece (cat+cat delete pipe) item if there’s any performance benefit.

Who makes good stainless parts? I’ve seen H&S makes a center pipe with a long resonator and Cobra makes one with a shorter resonator. Any ideas?

Old 19 January 2019, 03:26 PM
hackisfun
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobaholic
Yeah, that sounds good. A flange on the second cat delete pipe has mostly corroded away so I would replace that, too, that’s why I was considering getting a one piece (cat+cat delete pipe) item if there’s any performance benefit.

Who makes good stainless parts? I’ve seen H&S makes a center pipe with a long resonator and Cobra makes one with a shorter resonator. Any ideas?

Cheapest option is to go to an exhaust place and get them to custom make the centre section and weld it straight in. Obviously makes it hard to modify its a straight welded pipe instead of the traditional 3 price for ease of fitment.

You could probably have a new silencer and pipework bought and welded in for around £60

http://www.aberdeenexhausts.com/sh/exhausts.php
Old 20 January 2019, 08:29 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

That’s a good option. I guess they could even cut the bad flanges off and weld fresh ones on. Think I’ll just order a new one or good condition second hand, it’s not gonna break the bank and it’ll be easy to fit.

Thanks for all the good tips guys!