Notices

Cel and limp mode. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2018, 09:19 PM
Nick187
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cel and limp mode. Please help

Hi guys, I’ve got a 96 wrx wagon.. just yesterday I was driving along the motorway at 100km and the engine cut and went into limp mode. Wouldn’t rev past 4.5rpm and idle was all over, surgey and ran like junk all the way home. Found the new o2 sensor I had wires months before all the wires were melted together so I cut it off and now can rev all the way but still surging and have no boost past 5psi. I have cel 44 45 and 24. I have no power to the boost solenoid in test mode or any time for that matter. Could the melted 02 of cooked more in the ecu or could a bad IACv (cel 24) be making the ecu stay in limp mode? Also I just pulled the ecu and can’t find anything burnt.. don’t really wanna buy another if it’s not that.. Cheers nick
Old 29 November 2018, 09:16 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

So you haven't fitted a new good o2 sensor yet? I would do that first, reset the ECU then see how you go.
Old 29 November 2018, 10:09 AM
Nick187
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply! No haven’t changed o2 found the wires melted all the way through the loom to near the grommet in the firewall peeled them apart and cut them off, put power on the yellow red that splits off in the loom to accessory power and now have no cels and near normal boost. Cars basically running the same as it did when the old o2 sensor was disconnected. I could make a new loom to go back to the O2 but think I may just leave it out as I logged some afr before with it unplugged and it seemed ok. since sold the wide band so can’t really verify that 🤦*♂️ guess I should have a bigger budget for doing this car justice. Any ideas appreciated as to why the 02 would melt the wires like it did.? Cheers
Old 29 November 2018, 10:13 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Yep, you really want a new o2 sensor plugged back in and rearing exhaust gasses as before. The ECU is not getting a critical signal that will affect how it delivers fuel so the engine will run badly until you get the cable repaired, new sensor fitted & installed. As said once that's done just reset the ECU and see how you go. They are all low voltage signals from these sensors and would have thought the ECU has some form of short circuit protection built in which would be normal. Would expect the ECU to be ok personally.
Old 29 November 2018, 10:22 AM
Nick187
Scooby Newbie

I did open up the ecu and see if anything was burnt but saw nothing. Hopefully it can still power and measure the o2 I guess without trying I won’t know. Just thinking maybe the boost control power from the ecu is damaged because I could not measure power to it and when I powered up the yellow red that splits off near the boost control solenoid to run it, the sensor and the o2 sensor. Then it worked and restored boost and idle to near perfect.
Old 29 November 2018, 10:37 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Fix what you know is faulty and then chances are it'll be ok. If any of the main sensors are down it puts the ecu into limp mode and one of the first symptoms of that is no power to the BCS to limit boost.