Notices

Anyone setup a cold feed pipe to standard air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2002, 06:35 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a look at the air intake point for the standard (MY99) equipment I noticed that its right next to the right-hand side headlight.

Has anyone fitted a pipe so that air is fed from the front of the car - i.e. by using some kind of pipe from the input to the front?
Old 16 June 2002, 06:43 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Talking

i removed the front right fog light on my legacy and used drainpiping of various descriptions to make its way to the engine bay works well because of all the flies on my HKS filter

kev

[Edited by flat4 - 6/16/2002 11:32:14 PM]
Old 16 June 2002, 10:28 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

I have a Chiptorque cold air feed pipe which is specifically for this purpose. Mail me for pics. if you want it.

Cheers
Old 18 June 2002, 12:27 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

does anyone have pic of this being done?

will the engine run too high an air mixture if air was forced in from the front of the car?

Mate, how much you selling the pipe for? I didn't want to spend much. is the pipe custom made for sticking into the air intake on the standard car?
Old 18 June 2002, 03:36 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

Buuump, 'cos I'd like to know more too
Old 19 June 2002, 08:23 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Cool

I went for the cheap option of buying some corrugated aluminium foil tubing from halford, about 2inch bore. Removed the upper front grill.Removed radiator fixing bolts at top of engine. Fed tubing so it sat from just behind the upper grill, between radiator and headlight, then up to the standard air pipe above abs module. You need to push the radiator back to get the tubing in, then put the radiator back to normal and rebolt. This will crush the tubing slightly, but air can still get through. Once done, you cant see that much of it when everything is put back to normal. This made the car feel quite smooth and responsive once on the move. I actually put another tube in after a while which improved it even more. Crude but cheep and effective for me!!!
Old 19 June 2002, 02:27 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

did you connect the aluminium tubing to the standard air pipe?

is there a difference in noise?

I suppose as the car goes faster the colder the air you suck in...

Old 19 June 2002, 04:22 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

no just directed the tubing so it ended flush with the start of the standard air pipe.
no noticable increase in noise as i had an hks induction kit on that car. about to do the same to this car.
yes as you went faster the better it was. tried it with the resonator off originally but found town driving poor. this seemed to suit both town and definitely open road.
did i mention the slight improvement in economy on open road driving.
Old 19 June 2002, 04:23 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Lightbulb

as anyone tried using/modding the feed pipe from the my01 to fit earlier models?
Old 19 June 2002, 05:08 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

The pipe i have is from Australian company Chiptorque. It is specifically designed to fit the standard air box. I no longer have my car and the pipe is unused. I am selling for £65 + del.
Mail me if you want a pic.
bitob@hotmail.com
Thanks
Old 20 June 2002, 12:10 AM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Question

Any risk of rain/water being forced into the airbox and MAF when using the cold air tube ?
Old 20 June 2002, 12:46 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
v5 aps can you post a pic on here??? I am interested..

David
Old 20 June 2002, 11:09 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

To prevent rain/crap/whatever being forced into the standard air intake pipe, I suppose you don't have to phyically connect the custom intake pipe coming from the front of the car. The idea is to get cold air into the bay where the standard intake pipe is located. Having said that, one would imagine that its better to connect the pipe to *force* cold air into the box.

If we were to connect the custom intake pipe to the existing air intake opening, wouldn't this force too much air through the standard box?

I'm planning to do this on Saturday and will pick up a suitable tube from Halfords. I would buy the £65 of the guy selling, but its a little out of my budget - cheers for the offer anyway.
Old 20 June 2002, 11:21 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Keep us informed of how you do it, and if you can take piccies while you do it that would be superb

(not thinking about doing this myself at all you see )

Cheers
Neil
Old 20 June 2002, 11:26 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Thumbs up

never had any problems with water being forced into the induction path or the maf, even after going through some big puddles and very heavy rain!!!
I suppose it spilled over the top of the aluminium tubing. This is why i didnt put the tubing directly into the standard air feed pipe.

ran it on my my99 from march 1999(new) to July 2001, 35000 miles and no problems at all.

[Edited by P20SPD - 6/20/2002 11:28:36 AM]
Old 20 June 2002, 09:53 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Smile

excuse the quality of the pictures, far too much sun

front fog light replaced with drainpipe collector (takes a bit of cutting to fit snugly)

behind the front intake are two 90 degree bends to align with the engine bay airbox hole

another 90 degree bend to bring the piping into the engine bay, and a slash cut end piece to the air filter

not the most professional looking (but you can't see it from outside ) does the job and no chance of rain getting into the system because of the bends

kev

[Edited by flat4 - 6/20/2002 9:54:11 PM]
Old 21 June 2002, 08:34 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

I've been looking at trying to do something with the MY01 but I don't want to remove the foglights (I want them to blind the prats that drive around with them blazing all day in their pretend GTis)

I've just started to look at the reflector on the front wing as it seems to be useless. If I get something worked out I'll post pics.
Old 21 June 2002, 11:33 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

If you lot think that reducing your intake temps by 2 degs will make a difference that you can feel, then your brains must be wired differently to mine Next you'll believe that a trumpet intake on the front of the grill will provide a ram effect and positive pressure on the turbo! lol.

There is a real risk however, of sucking water into the air filter with the bumper tube to filter design, in heavy rain/puddles. When the turbo is on song there will be enough vacuum to suck small animals into the filter, so rain water will definitely go round bends in the tubes to get to your filter.

The trumpet thingy in the wing has a 'helmholtz' type resonance chamber in it IIRC. This not only smooths and quietens air flow but it lets the water drop out into a trap where it drains away. It's a bit like a wet and dry vacuum cleaner chamber.

Happy dreaming.

F

Old 22 June 2002, 10:37 AM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Wink

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz power zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz torque zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

kev
Old 22 June 2002, 04:45 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Well today I fitted a cold air pipe to my MY99 impreza to direct cold air from the front of the car to the opening of the standard air intake. The pipe cost just £3.29 and as far as I am concerned, this has to be the best performance mod at that price!

When the pipe is fitted, you can blow into the front of the pipe at the grill and you well feel all that air come out of the other end. This will give you an idea of all that cold air that will be forced into the intake when the car is moving. Whether in terms of long term running this is a problem, I don't know. But for the short term, there is definately a difference, mainly:

1. Car has better pick-up esp in 3rd gear at 3000+ RPM all the way to the red line. When I tested this on my usual test route, I hit 80mph at a point where I usually hit 60mph, so the gain in speed is evident, although this example probably exaggerates the extent of pick up.

2. There is 'whooo'ing sound at about 2000 rpm. I suspect that this is the increased air going through the ITG panel filter and whistling over the wire grid.

3. The turbo spool seems louder and so does the dump valve! But this could be because I was trying to listen with concentration.

For those of you wanting to try it out, its very simple. You need to get yourself some of this ducting stuff from Halfords - I used the 40mm diameter pipe and that gives a very snuf fit. The whole procedure takes less than 10mins.

Instructions:

A. Remove the plastic duct already in place above the left side headlight by undoing the single bolt that keeps it in place.

B. Remove the two bolts that fix the brackets to keep the radiator in place. The radiator needs to be pushed back slightly so the pipe can squeeze through.

c. Stretch the pipe as necessary and run it from the inside left corner of the front grill. the other end should be pointing upwards so that it sends air into the standard duct. Be carefull not to kink the pipe as it is quite delicate. You'll have to squash it very slightly between the radiator and chasis.

D. Put all the bolts back in place. You can secure the pipe at the front of the car with cable ties or something although I have left mine as its a really tight fit and didn't move when I returned from the test drive.

I would like to know what your experiences are with this. It's a very basic, easy mod that seems to have made a difference.
Old 22 June 2002, 05:52 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a good chat with Bob Rawle and others about this and they all hold the same opinion as Floyd....

Akshay... I think your thinking about the difference to much.... there is no-way you would see another 20 mph from point to point over a run without it.... that would be a serious gain in torque and power for just some cold air... not going to happen for a 60 or less pound pipe that direct air???

I agree all helps but from speaking to people who monitor temps etc... it doesn't do anything you would notice...

IMHO I would save your money and time and get something more effective...

Interesting thread though
Old 22 June 2002, 06:40 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

waste of money, flipping broke the silvery crap and it kept on breaking up! A$$!

[Edited by HKSubaru - 6/22/2002 6:58:48 PM]
Old 22 June 2002, 06:58 PM
well hung
Scooby Regular

Anyone who believes that a simple cold air intake can give this sort of benefit is an idiot! 20 mph increase? Dont be stupid.
Old 22 June 2002, 06:59 PM
well hung
Scooby Regular

Dont mean to sound too rash but its true.

[Edited by well hung - 6/22/2002 7:02:13 PM]
Old 23 June 2002, 12:24 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

ROTFLMAO @ Akshay67, I bet you've suddenly got 320hp too.

F
Old 23 June 2002, 12:53 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

as I said that 20mph was an exaggeration, but it did feel faster. Maybe it is all placebo, but then again it's something that quite a few people have done and seem to have gained some benefit! You see with a budget of less than a fiver, I didn't have that many options to get to 320bhp