Notices

Double clutching

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2002, 01:36 AM
DPJef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone use double clutching while driving day-to-day ?

Any negative aspects ?
Old 16 June 2002, 12:53 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I used to sometime do this in the Saxo when changing at high revs to try and spare the syncros but then I figured it would wear the clutch out early so its 6 and two 3's really.
Old 16 June 2002, 03:54 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Waste of time in my view. Thats why god gave us synchros for. The time it takes for me to double clutch my car I would already be accelerating to the next gear if I just shif the gear down directly.
Old 16 June 2002, 04:13 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It takes practise but you can learn to do it almost as quick as a normal shift - BAM...Blip...BAM
Old 16 June 2002, 05:25 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Why bother, you have been watching too many old american movies. Just change gear normally, Thats the way the box is designed. Synchromesh.....
Old 16 June 2002, 06:17 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Cool

I taught myself how to do it but only on down shifts. It makes it a smoother change and stops the wheels from locking up when the clutch is brought up quickly at high revs after the change, this doesn't tend to happen with the Scooby but my old Rover 216Gti (front wheel drive) used to definately benefit from it.
I hardly ever do it in the Scooby, only when I want to play and am bored of normal changes. The heal and toe part of it gets a bit worrying as I have come close to slipping of the brake doing it and I'm usually trying to brake hard at the time!
Old 16 June 2002, 09:08 PM
snarly
Scooby Regular

no, need to double clutch when upshifting due to modern gearboxes doing the job well. just consider on the down shift matching the engine revs for road speed to give you a slicker change,it stops the car from lurching as the clutch is disengaged. it keeps the car in better balance allowing you a better drive. give it a go.
Old 16 June 2002, 11:24 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Double clutch on synchro box, no benifit because you are locking the synchros then disengaging the engagin again. They will just wear out faster.

You only need to double clutch when using a dog box, unless you match you engine rpm and gearbox speed.
Old 16 June 2002, 11:40 PM
DPJef
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the input, all.
Old 17 June 2002, 06:50 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Would agree that there is little point on upshifts, but it will certainly make it smoother on downshifts. Double de-clutching down in conjunction with heal - toe braking will make your driving much smoother as match the engine and gearbox speed. In theory it will also make your acceleration a little better as the engine is immeadiately spinning at higher revs therefore reducing the amount of spool up time on the turbo. Don't believe me? Do Andrew Walsh's performance driving day at North Weald Airfield. He teaches the technique for exiting corners and it is very impressive and certainly works!

Chris
Old 17 June 2002, 09:50 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Double declutching (dd) and rev matching are 2 different things. You can rev match with a blip without dd'ing, and if you're really uncoordinated, you can dd without matching revs.

I don't buy that dd'ing is any worse on the syncros. In fact sometimes the only way to grab 1st gear when rolling is to dd!

And while the point of this thread was to discuss if dd'ing is of any benefit in everyday driving (we seem to have forgotten the original question), I would say that dd'ing definitely allows faster shifting without being overly harsh on the box.

Don't forget you can push out to neutral just as your coming off the power, without even a full declutch!. Blip, fully declutch, and you're into the lower gear smoothly. It's faster than waiting for the syncros.

Anyway, Tiff does it almost exclusively on TG. Watch his left thigh!
Old 17 June 2002, 01:28 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

You can change gear going up the box as well as down, without using the clutch at all. I practised this in my old BT van

I match revs with a blip on the down change because it sounds as if I know what I'm doing to onlookers, but in reality I usually mess it up with heal and toe (gets all jerky - makes me look a ****).

F
Old 17 June 2002, 02:40 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any good websites that explains how to do heal and toe ?
Old 17 June 2002, 02:59 PM
DPJef
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Do a search on Yahoo, plenty of hits