What is this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2018, 07:28 PM
Josebaum7
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this sound?

Hello gang,

I am currently looking at a used 2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. The Impreza has 92,795 miles on it and is being sold at a dealership. I took it for a test drive and loved it. After the test drive I opened the hood and noticed a sporadic clicking on and humming sound in which a belt was engaged which would eventually click back off. I figured it was for the AC but the randomness of it clicking on and back off has me concerned. I have attached a video describing what I am talking about.

Looking forward to your responds!
Old 28 May 2018, 11:50 PM
V-Lim Jim
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds just like mine when the A/C turns on, mine also makes a 'twang sound. In the vid you can see the a/C compressor firing up too - I am no expert but I would say this is completely normal. There is a secondary sound that starts in the second half of the video but sounds like a fan on one of your radiators.
Old 29 May 2018, 04:24 PM
Josebaum7
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by V-Lim Jim
Sounds just like mine when the A/C turns on, mine also makes a 'twang sound. In the vid you can see the a/C compressor firing up too - I am no expert but I would say this is completely normal. There is a secondary sound that starts in the second half of the video but sounds like a fan on one of your radiators.
Thanks V-Lim. Figured everything was normal but just wanted to make sure.
Old 29 May 2018, 04:25 PM
Josebaum7
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by V-Lim Jim
Thanks V-Lim. Figured everything was normal but just wanted to make sure.