Notices

Oil squirters

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2018, 08:44 AM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil squirters

Does anyone know if the oil squrters are just a nozzle, or do they have a non return valve in them?
just away to start my build and am wondering if I can just give them a clean or is it best to replace them.
Old 11 May 2018, 08:35 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they do have check valve in them and the opening pressure should be 60psi when you test them.
They can and do get blocked with debris resulting with them passing all the time which does your hot idle oil pressure no favours at all.
Old 11 May 2018, 08:50 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Also worth noting that a some builders just remove the nozzles and block the holes, so in reality they might not make a huge difference to piston cooling anyway (seeing as they're on the cold side, so to speak, I'm doubtful myself). Also I believe they foul with some forged pistons or rods.
Old 11 May 2018, 09:10 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Wow that's nearly 4 bar. I've gone through 2 engines over the years and I now have a healthy fear of failure, hence going forged up to the eyeballs and keeping a safe bhp.
i would hate for them to get stuck open and possibly starve other areas of oil .if there are pro builders that just blank them off with no I'll effects, then I'll maybe just bang a grub screw in and be done with it.
Old 11 May 2018, 10:15 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I should point out that this is from my sometimes bad memory - make sure you do some independent research around this before deciding either way.
Old 11 May 2018, 11:35 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

so just checking my own sanity here, it does seem like some builders sometimes remove them:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...squirters.html
Old 12 May 2018, 08:20 AM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Cheers Henrik, was doing some heavy duty research last night and it turns out that its an near an even split for people when it come to keeping the squirters.
main concern for most people I could see was starving the bearings of oil, which is more important than the underside of the piston. I'm reading that once people go forged there isn't quite the same need to cool the piston.
Its like a minefield out there, another article I read was if a piston was at 350deg temp and an oil jet managed to cool it to 300deg it is 88%stronger (tested on standard cast)Which makes sense in my head.
again people also have a fear of valve sticking open and starving the bearings. Irrationally people stick 11-12mm+ oil pumps to overcome this but I don't understand this one. Wouldn't the higher pressure from the oil pump give more chance of opening the jet thus almost putting you back to square one. Lol

I'll go do some more research and let you know what the outcome is lol