Notices

Some opinions for my forged build

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2018, 09:46 AM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some opinions for my forged build

Right all I've started rebuild my classic wagon.
My project thread is here https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...l#post12009065

At the moment I have the closed deck block at the machine shop getting skimmed and bored to 92.5mm.

My aim is a daily driving car that's reliable and has some grunt.

Im not chasing all out power or bhp bragging rights, nor am I looking for a quick track car.
I love old school boost that develops later on up the rev range.

Could I have some opinions on my proposed spec in terms of reliability, fun factor and guestimates on bhp

So I'm thinking of the following
Vf22 or stick with the current td05 16g
Manley h beam conrods
King racing bearings
92.5mm wiseco pistons
550 injectors
ESL board
Remap at RA motorsports Perth.

It will be granted that all other ancillaries will be replaced,
Cheers
Old 08 May 2018, 10:23 AM
KillianGF8
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd stick with the TD05 personally, as far as I'm aware they're a bit cheaper to rebuild if you need to do that at some point. Rest sounds pretty good.
Old 08 May 2018, 11:44 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

What your saying is that you want a laggy car?.SJ.
Old 08 May 2018, 12:08 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Might sound crazy but yes I do. I've had plenty cars with turbos that spool from a very low range, and although I realise its quicker on the road there is just something about an old school car that has nothing and then the turbo kicks in.
i mean my wrx is 1995 model, i like it because it has character.
My old blob wrx had the td04, a relatively quick spooling turbo and fine for my power expectations but when I sold up and bought the classic with td05 its just more fun.
Once rebuilt the car won't see a track, and I won't be street racing or doing any 1/4 miles .
Surely the classic v2 ra's that the vf22 came in are way more fun to drive than the newer bugs,blobs etc.
Old 08 May 2018, 12:25 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Forged build with just a TD05/16 seems overkill. Depends on much boost you want to try and run with it I guess.
Old 08 May 2018, 12:35 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

The engines I'm pieces just now, and I figured while its apart, might as well throw in some forged goodies for peace of mind.
vf22 seems a good option as I believe it can run 1.4 bar boost.
There's so many new cars out there that can outpace a Subaru straight out the box, never mind once they've had some fettling done. I'm past the whole "who's got the fastest car/biggest bhp" part of my life.
Would say a vf34 be a more fun drive? Or the td05 20g?
Old 08 May 2018, 12:47 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morandpeter
Might sound crazy but yes I do. I've had plenty cars with turbos that spool from a very low range, and although I realise its quicker on the road there is just something about an old school car that has nothing and then the turbo kicks in.
My old blob wrx had the td04, a relatively quick spooling turbo and fine for my power expectations but when I sold up and bought the classic with td05 its just more fun.
Once rebuilt the car won't see a track, and I won't be street racing or doing any 1/4 miles .
Surely the classic v2 ra's that the vf22 came in are way more fun to drive than the newer bugs,blobs etc.
Yeah I hear you mateI have been driving quick cars for a long time now so completely understand what your saying,that laggy cam feeling.SJ.

Trending Topics

Old 08 May 2018, 01:05 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Vf34 is better suited to a larger capacity engine. Vf35 works very well on a 2.0 upto 330ish. The TD05 will give you a more old school experience and you can go to a bigger 18 or 20 wheel if you want more power.
Old 08 May 2018, 01:20 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Sounds like I'll just keep the existing td05/16g, unless a vf22 comes up for sale at any point.

Any thoughts on the king racing bearings? I know everyone seems to go for the acl's but the spec on the kings look very good to me
Old 08 May 2018, 01:49 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Sounds like I'll just keep the existing td05/16g, unless a vf22 comes up for sale at any point.

Any thoughts on the king racing bearings? I know everyone seems to go for the acl's but the spec on the kings look very good to me
Both quality bearings,but ACL every time for me.SJ.
Old 11 May 2018, 03:22 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't think you're crazy at all... I also *hated* the sc36 on my 2.1. The most fun set up I've had so far has been a td05-20g on my 2.0, and it was fantastic on both road and track IMO.
Now going for a 2.1 with a td06-20g (billet)

If it's a hobby car, why on earth would you want it to feel like a diesel car?
Old 11 May 2018, 03:35 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Yeah im with you Henrik. Maybe its because I'm a little older now, haha
theres always going to be a car faster than mine, and my rebuild is for me alone .and not to make forum, club members and general petrolheads approve.
10 years ago I used to drive with what my wife called the Subaru blinkers, I used to think I had the best and fastest car on the road. Mods were always the same as everyone else's and I was always chasing big bhp.
Now you've said about the fun you had in the 20g, I'm going to go for that turbo as well. Think that should give a decent 360-380 which is more than enough for me.
Old 11 May 2018, 09:13 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stick with the 16g, IMO. Should do a reliable 330/330, when you factor in the forged build, which is about right for a fast road Impreza and plenty quick enough to lose your license in a hurry if you wanted to.
Old 11 May 2018, 09:33 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Just ordered the 20g, I've run the car with the 16g for 7+ years if the 20g doesn't meet my expectations I'll just go back to the 16g. Its not the end of the world a couple hours on the spanners, some gaskets, and fluids and a remap.