Notices

sti spoiler holes?

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2018, 12:55 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default sti spoiler holes?

im getting the dreaded wet boot after rain and im pretty certain its the spoiler bolt holes letting in water. my question is did the sti (mine is bug sti 02 plate ) only come pre drilled with the original low spoiler bolt holes (4) or did it have the extra holes for a high rise sti spoiler to be fitted? my spoiler only seems to be secured with 4 bolts. im guessing prodrive style bugs did have all the holes ( 17 in total i believe?) as it came with the high wing ? im about to remove mine for re painting as the lacquer has peeled badly on it so im thinking to re do the foam surrounds to help repel the water and also new sponge/rubber washers for the bolts.
Old 19 March 2018, 01:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Get hold of some of this: http://www.caravan-components.co.uk/...-in-400ml-Tube

Place a bead right round the outer edge of where the spoiler fits, and a ring round each bolt hole.
Then fit spoiler and forget leaks.

But spoiler CAN be removed if necessary and any extra that gets out onto paint work comes off with white spirit.

It's made for caravans, for external fittings to stop the caravan shell getting damp.
Old 19 March 2018, 01:20 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

will have a look at that alcazar. any idea on the bolt holes? mine def only seems to have the 4 ? if i wasnt painting the spoiler i would probably try a bead of that stuff around the spoiler but its coming off anyway. i did try some silicone around the bolts before but looking at it last night all it seems to have done is rust the bolts and washers which will probably mean a load of hassle and snapped bolts when we try to take it off. i take it subaru do replacement bolts for the spoilers? thanks.
Old 19 March 2018, 02:27 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2001 sti bug did not have all the extra holes on the boot lid, I had to drill them when I put the later high spoiler on.
Old 19 March 2018, 07:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Mine only had the four holes.
silicone is the wrong stuff, it cracks and holds moisture in the cracks, and is a pita to remove if you ever need the spoioler off again.
Old 19 March 2018, 09:16 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys lads. your not wrong about the silicone the bolts and nuts are rusted to hell now. lesson learned there lol. i have some assorted grommets lying around, any idea what diameter the bolts or holes might be? something in my head says 10mm ? will need to plug the holes while the spoiler gets painted.
Old 20 March 2018, 01:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Strip of electrician's tape or even decent masking tape will do that.

Not sure of bolt sizes, but I'd go online and buy stainless, plus stainless washers.