Notices
Styling Exterior styling

STi 6 Spoiler holes not lining up bonding question.

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2005, 12:19 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi 6 Spoiler holes not lining up bonding question.

arrgghhhhhhhh, Bought an STi 6 spoiler of Scoobyworld to go onto my STi 5 (which for some reason has a mid level spoiler).

I had been told the 4 bolts for the STi 6 spoiler would match the existing holes in the boot lid. How wrong was that information though! Nearly every hole was out by about a cm.

Managed to drill an existing hole in the boot lid to make it a little longer, thus was able to match up the top 2 highest holes on the spoiler. Used Flexibond on the rest of the spoiler.

If i had the time and proper drill bits would have redrilled the spoiler.

Just wondered if just 2 bolts and the flexibond will be enough to hold it? dont want it flying off on the motorway and killing the people in the car behind me.
Old 14 January 2005, 07:01 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

should have sent it back !
Old 14 January 2005, 08:57 AM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

Oh no Seth, jew should sent it back really but im guessing you painted it up before trying it:P

Get some Heffer that will cheer ya up
Old 14 January 2005, 10:24 AM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Yes should have fitted it first! but didnt want to drive around with holes in the boot with the whole spoiler off. Trusted them from what ive heard that it would be 100%, still lesson learned, and me mighty p1ssed off
Old 15 January 2005, 07:04 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

how can they sell spoilers that don't fit? fair enough if it was a universal one, lol

its beyond me how they can sell the spoilers and tell you they match the holes in your lid when they don't,
Old 15 January 2005, 09:02 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

maybe the sti 6 spoiler would have matched up with the sti5 boot lid?
but his has ovbiously been ****ed about with as it had the wrong spoiler to start with

how do we know that his mid level spoiler was even a genuine version with genuine holes in the bootlid?

to many inconsistencys (sp?)
Old 15 January 2005, 10:27 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
maybe the sti 6 spoiler would have matched up with the sti5 boot lid?
but his has ovbiously been ****ed about with as it had the wrong spoiler to start with

how do we know that his mid level spoiler was even a genuine version with genuine holes in the bootlid?

Agree with the above, if an Sti5 has a mid level spoiler on it somethings not right....... When some **** tried to steal my Prodrive WR wing i had to get another bootlid and ended up the only one i could get had just 2 holes and not 4, so had to drill another 2 . Seems not all Impreza bootlids are built equally . For all four holes to line up tho

Personally i wouldn't drive around using just 2 bolts, bonded or not.

Tony.

Trending Topics

Old 16 January 2005, 06:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

When I replaced my low level spoiler off my '98 car with an STI6 from GradeA, the holes were in the correct places, EXACTLY.

I put it on with 6 bolts and plenty of PuriFlex, (aka: Cica-Flex), but the body shop guy who painted it told me I could take all the bolts OUT once the bonding stuff had gone off, as it wouldn't shift!

I haven't, but I believe him! It's ROCK solid fit!

Alcazar
Old 16 January 2005, 12:35 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

i don't get what you saying,
genuine holes in the bootlid?
has his got replica holes in, lol
how can there be too many inconsistencies its a boot lid
Old 16 January 2005, 01:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Mine had a non-standard mid-level one on it before I fitted the STI6, and after the low level. It needed an extra hole forward of the 3 OE holes, and then that had to be filled when I put the STI6 on.

I suppose it could have been a bare boot lid with holes to match a non-standard spoiler? Who knows without looking?

Trust me, Puri-Flex will hold it once it's set, takes about a week in this weather.

Alcazar
Old 16 January 2005, 01:42 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Original V5 wing is held on by 3 bolts on each side as well a 6 bolts across the length.
The 3 on each side are not in a straight line either but offset from each other.
Old 16 January 2005, 04:01 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

I got a Version 6 Carbon spoiler from them to replace a standard Version 6 spoiler and NO the 4 holes dont match up. Never mind all the others they fail to use.
Old 16 January 2005, 07:37 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

The bond will hold it - last car was a Punto GT and the Abarth spoiler (factory part) was held on with just bond as Fiat recommended in the instructions with no other fixings. Never moved in the 3 years I had it for
Old 16 January 2005, 10:03 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Double D
i don't get what you saying,
genuine holes in the bootlid?
has his got replica holes in, lol
how can there be too many inconsistencies its a boot lid
and you know that his boot lid is the original one that came with his car do you?

i would asume not

and you know that his mid level spoiler is an original subaru part and not a copy?

i would asume not

boot lids are boot lids, doesnt mean they all have the same holes in them

anybody could have redrilled a boggo gl bootlid and fitted a spoiler on for all we know.
Old 16 January 2005, 11:04 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

I thought the Scoobyworld spoilers fitted the original holes, so it was maybe just a poor one. Give Neil a call, I'm sure he'll sort it out for you.

There is however a number of individuals and companys who sell on ebay STi 4 and STi 6 spoilers from Spain, and these do NOT usually fit the original holes.

A number of these companies are using photos / text / and paint code chart from our web-site without our permission.
So just to point out that we have nothing to do with these companies, and the parts they are selling are not the parts shown in our photos.

Be careful,

David
Old 17 January 2005, 06:55 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

and you know that his boot lid is the original one that came with his car do you?

i would asume not

and you know that his mid level spoiler is an original subaru part and not a copy?

i would asume not

boot lids are boot lids, doesnt mean they all have the same holes in them

anybody could have redrilled a boggo gl bootlid and fitted a spoiler on for all we know.
like you, i don't know if the boot lid is the original one! but i would assume first the problem is with the spoiler rather than point the finger at the boot lid

like you, i don't know if the mid level spoiler is an original subaru part blah blah but that fits so what does it matter.

if someone has redrilled a gl bootlid then it would be obvious by looking at it inside,
again why point the finger at the bootlid

revolution sell spoilers that don't even sit flat on the boot lid never mind about the holes,
i thought this was the styling forum where we find out about the fit and quality of styling products,
i can't see why you don't consider there to be any blame with the spoiler and only the boot lid.
Old 17 January 2005, 07:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

like you, i don't know if the boot lid is the original one! but i would assume first the problem is with the spoiler rather than point the finger at the boot lid

like you, i don't know if the mid level spoiler is an original subaru part blah blah but that fits so what does it matter.

if someone has redrilled a gl bootlid then it would be obvious by looking at it inside,
again why point the finger at the bootlid

revolution sell spoilers that don't even sit flat on the boot lid never mind about the holes,
i thought this was the styling forum where we find out about the fit and quality of styling products,
i can't see why you don't consider there to be any blame with the spoiler and only the boot lid.
I don't think anyone is trying to point the finger at a bootlid as the culprit if a spoiler doesn't fit. I think the point many were trying to make is that without KNOWING whether the present spoiler/bootlid are OE, we can't say for sure whether a new spoiler say an STI6 copy, SHOULD line up it's holes with those on the bootlid.

Certainly, if the bootlid is the original, in unmodified condition, and had a low level spoiler originally, the holes OUGHT to line up..........mine DID.

But after I modded my bootlid to take an aftermarket, non-Scoob sourced spoiler, the holes DID NOT.

Do you see where we are coming from now? Just trying to help.

Alcazar
Old 18 January 2005, 06:58 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

I don't think anyone is trying to point the finger at a bootlid as the culprit if a spoiler doesn't fit.
thats what tricky dicky seemed to be saying

the lid may be off a gl or messed about with, this is where S3TH needs to have a look and say either way.
Old 18 January 2005, 07:08 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky

thats what i was saying
you just tried to argue a point for no reason and was wrong, everybody else seamed to get it except you
Old 18 January 2005, 08:09 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

thats what i was saying
you just tried to argue a point for no reason and was wrong, everybody else seamed to get it except you
the point is a replica spoiler doesn't fit and you pointed the finger straight at the bootlid,
if your v6fs doen'st fit will you blame your bumper
i would assume not
Old 19 January 2005, 08:23 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

S3TH where are you ????????? can you reply to some of these question's?????????????????????
Old 19 January 2005, 07:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

the point is a replica spoiler doesn't fit and you pointed the finger straight at the bootlid,
if your v6fs doen'st fit will you blame your bumper
i would assume not
i didnt blame the bootlid

i said there was to many inconsistencys (sp?)
which bit of that didnt you understand?

and saying as i have a replica front bumper im struggling to work out what your v6fs point is all about, pmsl
Old 20 January 2005, 07:17 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

who does "replica" front bumper's thought just dealer part ?
Old 25 January 2005, 10:34 AM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys, thought this thread had died not checked back for a while.

Originally thought my impreza was an STi 5 as it was registered in 2000, but turned out to be a my98 STi that was not registered until 2000. Thus the mid level spoiler was standard, Im pretty sure the holes/fixings in the bootlid were all standard as well.

The bond seems pretty strong, spoiler does not shift. It was flexi-bond that i used not puri-flex (could not find any). Apparently the flexi-bond is used in marine applications and can also be used in vertical applications, so i am hoping it is strong enough to hold.

Really should have tried the fit before i had it painted, but it was from scooby world and i though the holes/fittment would be fine, although the general quality of the spoiler itself is superb.

Looks a bit of a mess atm, can see the bond where it has seeped round the edges, looks like a right cowboy job
Old 26 January 2005, 06:23 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God this reads like a horror story
I've been considering fitting another boot spoiler and all this is scary !!!

What's the story with this puri-flex stuff then ?
Lets say you need to remove the spoiler for whatever reason after bonding it on, does it actually come off ????? or is it on for life ?

Simon
Old 26 January 2005, 07:35 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport

What's the story with this puri-flex stuff then ?
Lets say you need to remove the spoiler for whatever reason after bonding it on, does it actually come off ????? or is it on for life ?

Simon
in a nutshell, it sticks like **** and doesn't let go.

oh the fun i had getting off my old V5 spoiler (sikaflexed on) basically spoiler finished up in 3 bits, sikaflex stayed put and pulled great big chunks off the spoiler base, had to hammer a wooden wedge in one end between the spoiler and bootlid to get it off. bent bootlid, smashed spoiler, pissed off hoskib who then really went to town when his new spoiler didn't fit properly (see V5 fitting thread)

all done in the same (long) day. oh how i laughed. not.

if you're sticking with sika/puri etc flex, get it right first time or you're fooked.

hope it works out for you S3TH, can you not scalpel off the excess over spill? if you can clean it back with trimming you should be able to apply some paint to the flex, may at least salvage something and improve the finish.
Old 26 January 2005, 09:45 PM
ndwall
Scooby Regular

As a slight off topic question.. Where can I get PuriFlex or a good bonding applicate for a new prodrive spolier I'm about to fit ??? couldn't see it anywhere on the web.

Nick