Notices

Central Locking/Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2018, 09:16 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Central Locking/Alarm

Hi all, I mentioned this on my introductory thread but I think I'll get more help here, wasn't sure whether to put this in general technical or lighting and other electrical but I've put it here anyway.

I have just bought a 2002 WRX and the central locking does not work, at all, using the key in the drivers door does not lock or unlock all doors. I have checked the fuse under the sigma keypad and all is fine, I haven't checked under the bonnet because upon checking the fuse I discovered the sigma keypad isn't even connected, this made me realise no fob was supplied with the car when I bought it so I am now assuming the sigma has been disabled/removed as this has been lost. Am I right in thinking the central locking is ran through the sigma?

If so move on to my next issue. If not what I have noticed is the front passenger door has to be either locked by key, or by the switch when the door is closed, flipping the switch to lock and then closing the door unlocks it again, could this be related or cause the central locking to fail? Other than that could it just be a fuse under the bonnet if it isn't related to the below issue?

The other issue is he alarm, whether it's connected to the central locking or not I obviously want to sort it out. I could go aftermarket, but if I can replace the sigma myself I will. I understand this will require a new sigma brain with keyfobs, would the sigma keypad also need replacing (assuming I don't have to anyway because the one already there is broken) and if I did would I need to replace the immobiliser? I'm assuming not but I kind of recall someone somewhere saying they had to. My immobiliser still works, removing the key gives me 3 or 4 beeps so I don't really see why I would need to?

As there's other areas of the car and life in general that I could do with spending money on I'm looking at trying to sort this myself to be as cost effective as possible especially when I understand a proper Subaru garage would probably charge me more than I paid for the car lol. I'm no mechanic but I am proficient in both engineering and electronics so I'm sure I can manage with a little help.

I appreciate any assistance or advice on sorting this. Thanks