Notices

Car parked for two weeks - can't select gears

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2018, 02:31 PM
StrangelyBrown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car parked for two weeks - can't select gears

So i've not been using the Subaru much recently mainly due to the cracked wishbones which are being replaced next week, went out today to start it up reverse it a little down the drive but the damn thing will not go into gear.

With the engine off the only gears i can select are 3rd, 5th and reverse, with the engine on if try and select a gear it just grinds. The clutch peddle feels no different and the fluid level is where it should be.

Tried to start it in reverse but it won't turn over. Can i assume the clutch is stuck?
Old 06 January 2018, 06:00 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by StrangelyBrown
So i've not been using the Subaru much recently mainly due to the cracked wishbones which are being replaced next week, went out today to start it up reverse it a little down the drive but the damn thing will not go into gear.

With the engine off the only gears i can select are 3rd, 5th and reverse, with the engine on if try and select a gear it just grinds. The clutch peddle feels no different and the fluid level is where it should be.

Tried to start it in reverse but it won't turn over. Can i assume the clutch is stuck?

Seems like it............

If you can select fifth gear, then try push/rock the car in gear to free clutch off.

Push car towards some blocks to stop it running away from you, (if your trying to do it by yourself)............or you may live up to your name.

good luck.............
Old 06 January 2018, 06:14 PM
StrangelyBrown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Managed to start the car in reverse. There was a little bang/knock and the smell of burnt clutch which soon went away.

Once the wishbones are replaced later this week I'm going to take it for a long run.
Old 06 January 2018, 06:36 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice one fella............