Notices

Oh dear can't select any gears

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2003, 09:31 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I was on the way up the M11 last night @ 80mph, pulled off at Duxford, changed from 4th to third @ next r/about and ping, can't select any gears. Clutch pedal feels fine but unable to get in gear. AA came out and towed home. They said fluid fine and hydrolics working so must be clutch. Went to try this morning and there was a click sound and I can just about grindingly get in 1st 2nd & 5th but no way 3rd & 4th.
I had an AP clutch fitted by TSL (Very good) along with STi bearing & lightened flywheel about 2 months ago. TSL great and booked in next Thurs. In the meantime, does anybody have any ideas of what it could be, so I can give em an idea before they have to strip the lot.
Cheers.
P.S. after catching train to work my Brembo Brake kits just arrived !!!
Old 08 August 2003, 09:39 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Had a customer with a similar problem, once stripped the input shaft had been destroyed along with 3 gear sets........

Old 08 August 2003, 09:49 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Red face

Dooow, hope its not that. What could be the cause of that then?
Old 09 August 2003, 08:14 AM
submannz
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't imagine it to be that bad, more likely be a broken selector fork
Old 09 August 2003, 12:56 PM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Please god make it be that, I've just shelled out nigh on £800 on the Brembo brake group buy, which arrived yesterday !!!!
Old 09 August 2003, 07:10 PM
206CC
Scooby Regular

Yep gear set stripped.. relatively common

There is a modified Gear set/Baulk rings to cure....

Dealer Scooby Tech
Old 09 August 2003, 11:51 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

When my Evo VIII wouldn't select any gears it was down to the selector pin (AA guy didn't know where that was and took the warranty garage a whole week to come up with the solution), then low and behold it comes up as a recall from Mitsubishi.

The AA guy did give it a good look at all the same - tried the selector X & Y cables (educated me while I was waiting for the tow truck to come with them - had to take the battery out to see them porperly).
Old 10 August 2003, 08:18 PM
floppy dave
Scooby Regular

aintbroke i had this happen on my95 a couple of times and never sussed out what was happening, having said that neither could the dealership! it would just lock into neutral like it was never to move again and then all of a suddent it would be fine ~ how strange?

never did fix it tho - sold the car instead Lol)
Old 11 August 2003, 09:43 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay in getting back, only have net at work. It now goes in 1st, 2nd, 5th & reverse. Will not go into the gate for 3rd & 4th. Feels like there's something stopping it. When it did it I couldn't select any gears, went side to side but again felt like something stopping it. Started in the morning with 1st selected to jump it and there was a ping click, as if something had released, thats when I could get the above gears. If its the gear selector, is it a gearbox out job? Also I did strip a gear set in a 200sx I had, it would go in position with that but no drive, would that be the same with the scoob? Sorry to go on, and thanks for the reply's so far.
Old 11 August 2003, 11:59 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers, time to get on the phone.
Old 11 August 2003, 12:27 PM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Question

Sorry greasemonkey, answer to the question, it selects & sounds fine in 1,2,5,R. Just won't go into 3rd or fourth even with engine off.
Its just strange that when it happened unable to get in any gear, then click 1,2,5 & R no probs.
Old 08 October 2003, 12:24 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Aintbroke: What does the gearstick feel like? Can you still put the gearstick in position for each gear, but get no drive, can you not even move the stick, can you move it sideways but not forward/back, exactly how does it feel in your hand?

Also, what noises is it making?

At the moment a fault/breakage in the selector system sounds the likeliest culprit at this point in time, although unfortunately, even a broken fork is an expensive repair. Exchange gearbox may be the most cost-effective option.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/10/2003 12:27:41 AM]
Old 08 November 2003, 11:13 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Okay, slight glimmer of hope here!

On the face of it, it sounds more like broken selector mechanism, baulk rings or synchro hubs than stripped gears. As you know from your own experience, stripped gears normally means the gearstick will go into the gate, but you don't get any drive.

When it does run in 1st, 2nd, 5th or reverse, are there any unusual noises/whines/grinds, or does it sound okay?

One possible diagnostic step may be to drain the gearbox oil, and see what bits of miscellaneous metal fall out (or are stuck to the magnet in the drain plug). If you know about gearboxes to recognise a broken bit of selector fork (synchro etc.) when you see it, this might clue you in.

However, if the broken bits have stayed in position, or you don't know what you're looking at, this approach won't necessarily make you any wiser than you were before.

What you really need to do at this point is decide whether you're just going to give up on this gearbox and get a replacement/exchange, or try and get it fixed, and if the latter, whether you're up to DIY, or want a professional box builder to do it.

It sounds at this stage like this box is salvageable, but if you pay someone to rebuild it and they find the damage is worse than you hope, it's probably going to work out more expensive than a phonecall to Grade A or similar. Difficult decision, but the sooner you make it, the sooner your p&j will be back on the road!

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/11/2003 11:15:36 AM]
Old 08 November 2003, 12:36 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I'd be tempted to drain the oil and see what else falls out if I were in your shoes. It sounds a bit like a synchro hub has broken up and jammed the bits together on the shaft.

If you drain it and don't find gear teeth and other heavy duty bits of shrapnel falling out, I'd probably take the risk in getting it stripped. It may be a total write-off, but at this stage it doesn't sound as bad as it could be.

If you get it rebuilt by a pro, and thus end up with a gearbox with a clean bill of health and a warranty, you may be better off than if you got an exchange gearbox of unknown providence - albeit with a few months of warranty...

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/11/2003 12:39:09 PM]