Track car MOT

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2017, 09:54 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Track car MOT

So... my track day car is finally coming together to a state of MOT-readyness (after 5+ years of sitting around in the garage). Obviously during this time, there have been changes to the MOT procedures, e.g. now a missing airbag is a fail on a normal car...

My car has a full weld in roll cage, buckets, harnesses, tow bars etc, and I'm thinking I can't be the only one with a car like this, but what are people's experience of getting an MOT? I don't run a decat etc, but the airbag bit worries me...

I'm thinking of entering sprints with it eventually, but it will never see a rally stage, for example (too low...), if that makes a difference.
Old 31 August 2017, 10:18 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to find a friendly garage and go with an extra couple of notes.

So long as your car isn't a deathtrap its not the crime of the century. Its how I get mine past the decat etc.
Old 31 August 2017, 01:22 PM
CraigBWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there is an option for an MOT advisory explaining that the car is heavily modified for track/race use which is in the MOT manual.

You may have to call a few garages to see if they are familiar with this and what is deemed acceptable.

Or get a garage to do a pre MOT checkover and tell you what would fail etc and they may also help with ways to solve those issues.
Old 31 August 2017, 03:39 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Agreed, anything is possible and you're certainly not the first person to put their race car on the road with an MOT. I managed to get one of my race cars through an MOT with no front windscreen fitted after it had been rolled (not by me I should add).
Old 31 August 2017, 04:47 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

BrownPantsRacing, if you've managed that, then I think my car should be fine
Old 31 August 2017, 05:06 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Technically they can't fail you for a new problem found on a re-test. So I took this approach and took my racecar (freshly rolled) to the MOT station and as you can imagine, once they'd stopped laughing/crying I went away happy with a long list of things to fix. One of which was the shattered front windscreen.

I managed to fix all the issues myself including changing every body panel and knocking the roof out, repainting the car etc, but the window company let me down. I took the car back for the re-test regardless and when asked where the front windscreen was I replied, it's no longer cracked though is it? They laughed and gave me the MOT cert!

Was a rather windy experience driving too and from the test station!
Old 31 August 2017, 08:38 PM
Dannymot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most the information you need should be here .

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk...e-a-rally-car/
Old 01 September 2017, 11:20 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Henrik mine is a full on track/competition car, weld in cage/seats plumbed in system etc etc has a custom loom with seperate switches for everything to work for an MOT with the lights /indicators/horn as Dannymots link has put up, mine has been MOT'd for the last 3 years no problem.
Old 02 September 2017, 01:19 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks guys, sounds like it shouldn't be impossible then