Notices

Mot fail idle to high

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2017, 10:06 PM
narelle
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mot fail idle to high

My bugeye has just failed mot due to having a to high idle, would a split induction pipe cause this or possible sticking idle control valve It always idles a bit higher when cold but drops when warm and doesn't seem excessive to me (tester did it when car was cold) any help much appreciated thank you
Old 12 July 2017, 10:10 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Thats crazy mate. Whats the warm idle its normally 500-700

Most places would just wait till it settles or take it back when its warm
Old 12 July 2017, 10:14 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

It won't of fail for having a high idle,it will have failed emissions at the high idle test. 2500-3000rpm
Old 12 July 2017, 10:17 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
It won't of fail for having a high idle,it will have failed emissions at the high idle test. 2500-3000rpm
Did think that originally but some of these places it really does depend on what day you catch them on.
Old 12 July 2017, 10:22 PM
narelle
Scooby Regular

On failure sheet it has failed engine speed to high at idle!! Once warm it idles at 700 so no where near excessive I'm not sure why he's failed it but he did advise nsr shock has a misting of oil the shocks done 8 miles I changed it a few days before test...... the testers only just qualified think I will stay with it for the retest
Old 12 July 2017, 10:26 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Could be a failing O2 sensor causing rich running in closed loop,I would reset the ecu first which will reset the fuel learning table,take the car for a good drive then recheck emissions.
Old 12 July 2017, 10:27 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by narelle
On failure sheet it has failed engine speed to high at idle!! Once warm it idles at 700 so no where near excessive I'm not sure why he's failed it but he did advise nsr shock has a misting of oil the shocks done 8 miles I changed it a few days before test...... the testers only just qualified think I will stay with it for the retest
Oh I see,then that's a feckin pi55 take,surely they can't fail it for a high ish idle when cold!!?!?
700-800rpm is perfect.
Old 12 July 2017, 10:36 PM
narelle
Scooby Regular

This is what I thought thanks for the help I will take it back see what happens
Old 12 July 2017, 11:13 PM
die-tryin
Scooby Regular

With out being there and seeing the test done hard to say. but if done correctly yes it can fail on a high idle speed, if they used the temp sensor on the gas tester it will only let you do a test if at a good temp. and if using a way to link the gas tester to the car to pick up the revs so it knows its held between 2500-3000 for fast idle then it will check gas at idle and if idle is out side of X and X it will auto fail the test. All of which can be bypassed though but you still tell the gas tester that the engine is hot EG the fan is on or the gauge is up. then use car rev gauge to hold at 2500-300 then it asks is idle speed ok Yes or No. Hope that helps
Old 13 July 2017, 12:44 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If cold it will as been said idle high so am i right thinking it did not fail on emissions which it also would likely do if the engine was cold also mot testers have to be qualified mechanics i believe so the mind boggles as to what the tester was thinking.
Old 13 July 2017, 08:49 PM
FatedDifference
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an MOT tester myself. You don't need to be a qualified mechanic to be an MOT tester. Can you screenshot the failure sheet and post it up please?
Old 13 July 2017, 09:21 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FatedDifference
I'm an MOT tester myself. You don't need to be a qualified mechanic to be an MOT tester. Can you screenshot the failure sheet and post it up please?
Ok so i am wrong but surely you have to be mechanically minded and understand cars and at least have them really warmed up for the MOT test, so what do you think went wrong with the failed test?.
Old 13 July 2017, 10:31 PM
FatedDifference
Scooby Newbie

That's true. But all you need to do to become an MOT tester I believe is a 2 week crash course on a motor vehicle repair. I wait until last thing to do an emissions test, due to the fact to let the engine warm up. I'm in West Sussex and I'll be more then happy to do your MOT. So when the vehicle is warm I presume that it sits about 700? The emissions tester we use has a rpm sensor which obviously measure the rpms. If the sensor isn't correctly working then it would pick up a false reading. If that happens I usually use the emission tester in manual mode. Aka. Not using the sensor. If you're sure that it's idling fine, take it back to the test sensor and make them do another emissions test. They don't don't have to log on for the retest first. Just get them to do another emissions test? I hope that I'm of some help to you.
Old 13 July 2017, 10:43 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Every MOT I've ever went for the tester let's the car idle while they check the car over then emission test while the engine is warm. This is at several MOT stations so surely that's the norm?
Old 14 July 2017, 07:54 AM
FatedDifference
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, that's the way that it should be done. That's the way that I've also been taught too.
Old 14 July 2017, 08:21 AM
Samwise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FatedDifference
That's true. But all you need to do to become an MOT tester I believe is a 2 week crash course on a motor vehicle repair. I wait until last thing to do an emissions test, due to the fact to let the engine warm up.
Why not first thing? I go out of my way to arrive at an MOT test after having driven like a bat out of hell!

Don't see how a car can fail MOT for a high idle at cold, if you were like me and handed your car over while it was warm/hot it would never be cold to test the idle?
Old 14 July 2017, 08:35 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Samwise
Why not first thing? I go out of my way to arrive at an MOT test after having driven like a bat out of hell!

Don't see how a car can fail MOT for a high idle at cold, if you were like me and handed your car over while it was warm/hot it would never be cold to test the idle?
Not all garages MOT the car as soon as you turn up,it could be sat for an hour or two before they test it,going for a blast before you take it in would be a waste of time in some cases.
Old 14 July 2017, 08:45 AM
Samwise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Not all garages MOT the car as soon as you turn up,it could be sat for an hour or two before they test it,going for a blast before you take it in would be a waste of time in some cases.
Oh Fair enough, the place I go books in 30 minute slots so if I turn up on time they'll be booked in to MOT my car next so wasn't aware that was really a thing in some cases.
Old 14 July 2017, 08:52 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Ye my garage can get behind so time slots aren't always nailed on,I generally take mine first thing in the morning,drop it off and go for some brekki and a wonder down to the bookies