Notices

Advice on moving Impreza that's been stood

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2016, 11:57 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Advice on moving Impreza that's been stood

Hi guys, am just after a bit of advice on moving my Impreza that's been stood. So back in July 2014 I SORNed it and from then it was started every few weeks and ran up and down the driveway etc (I have a very long driveway) until it mysteriously stopped starting in December 2015. I tried a few things initially....but then I basically neglected it until recently now when I had a thread on here and eventually managed to solve it - crank position sensor. So even though I had been turning it over still a few times over that period trying to fix it etc, the car hadn't actually ran or physically moved at all until from December 2015 until last week when I finally got it started. The brakes were pretty seized but I soaked them in PlusGas and eventually managed to free them off. I know you're not meant to use PlusGas or that type of thing on braking parts, but I felt it was my only choice and all I really wanted to do was get it onto a trailer so I could move it to my girlfriend's house that I'm moving into at the end of this month.

Well, now I've been thrown another option of how to move it. I was talking to a mate and telling him I was going to get it recovered over to my girlfriend's house etc at a cost of £100 and he said he's got trade plates (He owns a garage) and could just drive it over there for me. It's a 14 mile drive. My question is - would you guys consider that or is it a big no no? I'm a bit torn. Part of me thinks it would be good to give the car a bit of a run seeing as it hasn't moved for so long, and obviously the cost of £0 is quite attractive compared to £100. BUT.....am I going to do any damage? Engine oil that's over two years old and has been sat in there etc? Then there's also the issue of the brakes that I've soaked in PlusGas? Someone did say to me that soaking them in brake cleaner would help get rid of the PlusGas a bit? Am really not sure what to do, and your thoughts would be hugely appreciated
Old 16 September 2016, 12:37 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Who would be doing the driving?
Old 16 September 2016, 07:41 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Who would be doing the driving?
Either me or my mate with the trade plates. We would both be in the car either way
Old 16 September 2016, 10:41 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Me Personally would be itching to give it a drive, plus will help see if theres any faults along the way. How clean does the oil look? I'd want to change that first.

But as its been off the road for so long you may have some issues on the drive. But as i said personally i'd drive it. Is the car covered fully comp on the plates?
Old 16 September 2016, 11:39 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, id be trailering it to a garage, drop all the oils, full tank of fresh v power, and a battery. check tyres for flatspots. wouldnt dream of driving it before that.
Old 16 September 2016, 11:47 AM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As above, I would put it on the trailer,
Old 16 September 2016, 01:20 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
personally, id be trailering it to a garage, drop all the oils, full tank of fresh v power, and a battery. check tyres for flatspots. wouldnt dream of driving it before that.
Aw damnit, I knew people would say that I've probably ticked all the boxes apart from the oil, which is probably the most important part! I've got a fresh tank of V Power, new battery, new battery terminals and freshly cleaned earth points, new fuel filter & spark plugs (from when I was trying to solve the non-starting problem), and also it's been sitting on the standard wheels so I've got my 'good' wheels to put back on so won't have to worry about flat spots.
Old 16 September 2016, 06:09 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Just change the oil its an easy job. Plus its your car lol
Old 18 September 2016, 01:52 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drop the oil and get it out for a run, nuff said