Notices

Warm start problems

Old 29 August 2016, 04:46 PM
  #1  
turbotiger
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Catterick
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm start problems

Hi all . Car is 2004 subaru impreza wrx sti type uk with 84k on the clock.

The car has developed difficulties in re-starting when up to normal operating temperature. The car drives perfectly for hours until I turn the engine off and try to restart it. It will then only crank and not start. I should note that I would not hear the fuel pump prime until the engine would cool down . Then I could hear the 2-3 second prime sequence and the car would fire into life.it's been into japtech in hull and they suggested I may have spiked the ECU.

Since the problems arose in an effort to fix this I have replaced :
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Cleaned injectors with new o rings
Crankshaft sensor (oem Subaru )
Second hand FP controller

I've even tried hardwiring the fuel pump to come on 100% at ignition. The problem remains

Ive Noticed the car gets to temperature fairly quickly around than 5 mins or so.( stays just below middle) on dash

Next to check Coolant sensor?
turbotiger is offline  
Old 29 August 2016, 04:49 PM
  #2  
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
JDM_Stig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Weather
Posts: 5,448
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

the coolant sensor wouldnt stop it priming.
JDM_Stig is offline  
Old 29 August 2016, 05:16 PM
  #3  
turbotiger
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Catterick
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig View Post
the coolant sensor wouldnt stop it priming.
Do you reckon they're right with the ecu then ? I need it fixed but it's gonna cost a fortune
turbotiger is offline  
Old 29 August 2016, 05:33 PM
  #4  
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ESSEX INIT
Posts: 5,519
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If you get yourself the ecu with the key that has the small chip and the other thingie under the drivers footwell off a breaker as a set I'm sure Matty on here will have it will take you 30mins to eliminate the problem if ecu won't cost you that much as you're just paying for the parts no coding etc required
ZANY is offline  
Old 29 August 2016, 06:03 PM
  #5  
turbotiger
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Catterick
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
If you get yourself the ecu with the key that has the small chip and the other thingie under the drivers footwell off a breaker as a set I'm sure Matty on here will have it will take you 30mins to eliminate the problem if ecu won't cost you that much as you're just paying for the parts no coding etc required
Cheers I look into it. Hope it works
turbotiger is offline  
Old 29 August 2016, 06:59 PM
  #6  
RAF1
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Posts: 1,722
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I had a same thing with my typeR. Cold start no issue and when left running up to temp and go back to start it wouldnt.
Believe it or not mine was sorted by replacing the battery.
I suggest get your car up to temperature and when it fails to start put some jump leads on and see if it fires up then. If it does then battery.

Goodluck
RAF1 is offline  
Old 29 August 2016, 09:16 PM
  #7  
turbotiger
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Catterick
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RAF1 View Post
I had a same thing with my typeR. Cold start no issue and when left running up to temp and go back to start it wouldnt.
Believe it or not mine was sorted by replacing the battery.
I suggest get your car up to temperature and when it fails to start put some jump leads on and see if it fires up then. If it does then battery.

Goodluck
Thanks but battery is only a few months old. I'm led to believe that jumpstarting can be fatal to ecu s in scoobys and it may have caused this problem in the first place. I don't know if anyone on here can confirm or dismiss this
turbotiger is offline  
Old 29 August 2016, 09:34 PM
  #8  
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ESSEX INIT
Posts: 5,519
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbotiger View Post
Thanks but battery is only a few months old. I'm led to believe that jumpstarting can be fatal to ecu s in scoobys and it may have caused this problem in the first place. I don't know if anyone on here can confirm or dismiss this
Would be good to take into consideration though mate as ve bought a brand new battery for the golf and it went dead twice again went back to halfords they changed it without hassle problem free now, I've jump started a few scoobs in my time and never had any ecu issues although have known ecu' to be fried through other mishaps but not jump starting from another vehicle to be honest
ZANY is offline  
Old 29 August 2016, 10:29 PM
  #9  
turbotiger
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Catterick
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
Would be good to take into consideration though mate as ve bought a brand new battery for the golf and it went dead twice again went back to halfords they changed it without hassle problem free now, I've jump started a few scoobs in my time and never had any ecu issues although have known ecu' to be fried through other mishaps but not jump starting from another vehicle to be honest
I'll give it a try . Really hope it works . I'm away this week so will update at weekend
turbotiger is offline  
Old 21 September 2016, 12:25 PM
  #10  
turbotiger
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Catterick
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbotiger View Post
I'll give it a try . Really hope it works . I'm away this week so will update at weekend
Okay so tried new battery and bump start. No joy. Have had the battery disconnected as it is stood on the drive. If I connect it it will start first time and drive healthily until I turn the ignition off. If I go to restart , it will simply crank over and not fire into life. I'm absolutely baffled.

Last edited by turbotiger; 21 September 2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Misspellings
turbotiger is offline  
Old 21 September 2016, 12:30 PM
  #11  
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ESSEX INIT
Posts: 5,519
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbotiger View Post
Okay so tried new battery and bump start. No joy. Have had the battery disconnected as it is stood on the drive. If I connect it it will start first time and drive healthily until I turn the ignition off. If I go to restart , it will simply crank over and not fire into life. I'm absolutely baffled.
They do point towards the fuel pump / crankshaft position sensor IMO electrical so could be on the wY out bro
ZANY is offline  
Old 21 September 2016, 12:39 PM
  #12  
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
ossett2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leeds
Posts: 6,238
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If you can't hear the fuel pump prime when the car is warm but you can when cold then this could point to bad wires to the fuel pump or failing fuel pump.

I had a similar issue on my old classic,turned out to be the connecting block on top of the fuel tank,also be worth checking the one that's under the rear bench seat.
ossett2k2 is offline  
Old 21 September 2016, 02:07 PM
  #13  
turbotiger
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Catterick
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 View Post
If you can't hear the fuel pump prime when the car is warm but you can when cold then this could point to bad wires to the fuel pump or failing fuel pump.

I had a similar issue on my old classic,turned out to be the connecting block on top of the fuel tank,also be worth checking the one that's under the rear bench seat.
It's had new oem crank sensor . No change. I've even hardwired fuel pump to run 100% . No change. Might swap FP out . Clutching at straws now
turbotiger is offline  
Old 21 September 2016, 02:17 PM
  #14  
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
ossett2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leeds
Posts: 6,238
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

When you hard wired the pump could you hear it running when the car was warmed up and you are trying to start?
I presume you're not touching the throttle whilst cranking the engine?
ossett2k2 is offline  
Old 21 September 2016, 03:07 PM
  #15  
tjmatt
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 412
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

In other cars this can be a failing crank or Cam position sensor. What can happen is the sensor impedance changes dependant on temperature, and the signal output can be reduced when hot. This may be fine during normal running when revs are higher, but combined with the reduced signal due to low turnover speed on the starter can prevent the signal being seen by the ECU, so no spark or fuel pump running.

Not saying it is this at all, but it does happen.

EDIT: Seen you have replaced Crank sensor, hopefully someone can tell you if these engines will run with a broken Cam position sensor. If not then perhaps this would be the next this to try (perhaps you could borrow one to test?)
tjmatt is offline  
Old 21 September 2016, 09:27 PM
  #16  
turbotiger
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Catterick
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tjmatt View Post
In other cars this can be a failing crank or Cam position sensor. What can happen is the sensor impedance changes dependant on temperature, and the signal output can be reduced when hot. This may be fine during normal running when revs are higher, but combined with the reduced signal due to low turnover speed on the starter can prevent the signal being seen by the ECU, so no spark or fuel pump running.

Not saying it is this at all, but it does happen.

EDIT: Seen you have replaced Crank sensor, hopefully someone can tell you if these engines will run with a broken Cam position sensor. If not then perhaps this would be the next this to try (perhaps you could borrow one to test?)
Thanks for the replies.

Yes this problem was present before and after the crank sensor was replaced.

No my foot is off the accelerator at all times when attempting to start the car.

It's been on for diags. With a local specialist. They inferred it was the ecu that had been spiked causing the problems. They suggested the hardwire FP. to get it running and said a new ecu would be needed.
Now I'm all for getting this fixed but I don't wanna lay out hundreds and hundreds for this to remain an issue.

Are there any ecu gurus in here that can advise on what to do .

Many thanks
turbotiger is offline  
Old 22 September 2016, 08:00 AM
  #17  
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
imprezagaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grimsby
Posts: 1,127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have a 04 wrx sti type uk and have the original ecu in the garage after upgrading last year. Make me an offer for it if you want
imprezagaz is offline  
Old 22 September 2016, 10:39 AM
  #18  
gsewell_uk
Scooby Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

My 03 WRX suffered similar symptoms - felt like the engine was flooded until you kept the pedal to the metal for a few seconds while cranking - turned out to be the MAF - cheap 2nd hand unit was about 25.
gsewell_uk is offline  
Old 22 September 2016, 01:49 PM
  #19  
turbotiger
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Catterick
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gsewell_uk View Post
My 03 WRX suffered similar symptoms - felt like the engine was flooded until you kept the pedal to the metal for a few seconds while cranking - turned out to be the MAF - cheap 2nd hand unit was about 25.
Put new oem denso MAF on. No change.

Imprezagaz the ecu would not be a straight swap though would it . I would need matched keys and barrels to get past the immobiliser? ?
turbotiger is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
AudiMan
Subaru
2
28 March 2016 10:12 AM
Rob192
Subaru Parts
1
24 March 2016 09:49 AM
Plane mad Harry
ScoobyNet General
1
21 March 2016 02:29 PM
IanG1983
Subaru
1
20 March 2016 10:39 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warm start problems


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.