Notices

Vacuum hose to waste-gate fail?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2016, 12:51 PM
d.j.and80
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum hose to waste-gate fail?

Hi all, So I recently brought a 2002 WRX and as usual when I buy a car within the first couple of days something goes wrong. This time it happen on the drive home which is always a worry. Now the issue was when in higher gears (4th & 5th) when getting to 4000 it was like the boost died in an instant or fuel starved which slowed my progress.

So i was told but the trader the code was the O2 sensor as its been de-cated he cleared the ECU and off i went but alas the issue occurred once more - he then told me I need a remap and turn the O2 sensors off - it all sounded pretty honest but I wasnt sure really - I got a good deal on the car which always makes me think im missing something.

Anyway I thought I would look over the car in more detail (ok maybe i should have done that before buying the car B4 anyone says) and to my surprised I found the vacuum hose from the BCS T to the wastegate was broken in two. I fixed it which instantly change the car meaning I could boot it to red line in all gears without this issue occurring.

Now i would like to say I believe this happened on the way home the first time and not with the garages knowing but looking at the hose it looks clean and is not brittle in anyway, its not been cut on purpose as the angle of cut is all wrong for that so i think its maybe exploded through over pressure in the hose. Does anyone know what could cause this and if its something I should worry about?

PS sorry for the essay but I do love a story
Old 10 August 2016, 01:14 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ID STILL GET IT CHECKED MAPPED AS DECATTING A NEWAGE NEEDS A MAP
Old 10 August 2016, 01:36 PM
d.j.and80
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree - It has been mapped but iv got no information on who did it - when and what sort of gains where made - I know its rapid compared to standard though. I was holding out until I sorted the issue but seems to be sorted so time to get it mapped -

It dont have any other issues thus far though, idles and runs smoothly. I have wanted an Impreza for years and was finally in a position to get one and it hasn't disappointed.