Turn Signal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2016, 04:02 AM
harlista
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Issue

Fellow Subaru Owners et al;

I have a '91 Legacy L that I use as a daily driver. Been a very reliable car over the last 25 years and I had planned on squeezing a few more out of it before I buy my next Subaru (my wife has a '98 Outback but I digress). I have not done any modifications to the car other than to add satellite radio (gotta have my Octane, but I digress again). A couple days ago my turn signal indicator started blinking rapidly when signalling a right hand turn. I discovered the right front turn signal light not blinking. Took out the defective bulb and went to the store to replace it. The store cross reference called for a 911 bulb which was totally wrong. My old eyes couldn't read the old bulb so I asked the young man behind the counter if he could see the marking. The bulb had 89 written on it so I bought another and plugged it in to no avail. I verified the old bulb is, without a doubt, bad and the new bulb is, without a doubt, good. I can unplug the housing, jump 12 VDC to it and get the bulb to light but there doesn't appear to be 12 volts at the connector where the turn signal housing connects. I attempted to following the wire bundle from behind the headlamp and down across the bottom of the radiator but lost it where it headed back toward the firewall. As a last ditch attempt I checked every fuse in both fuse panels. I also poked around in the rear tail light housings to see if there was anything to see. I didn't suspect a fuse because the left signals work fine and the rear right blinks (albeit rapidly). I dint think it would be the turn signal switch for the same reason. Eliminating everything else I surmised it would be a connection. As tight as things are under the dash I looked for any possible loose connectors but didn't find any. I never found a flasher module either. I spend a good portion of the afternoon poking around looking for something obvious. BTW when I looked for the owners manual in the glove box I found my wife's '98 manual but not my '91. I didn't find it in her car either.

To make matters worse now when I step on my brakes my 'STOP LAMP' icon lights up.I checked my rear running lights, back up lights, turn signal lights and brake lights and they all seem to be working.

Any help, insight or divine intervention is welcome at this juncture.

Regards,

Rick
Old 21 March 2016, 11:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like a bad earthing issue. Check all earthing points near the lights first, and especially the connectors to the bulbs and the actual ones inside the bulb-holders.

For the problem with the stop lamp, try the rear lights for poor earths/corrosion too.
Old 21 March 2016, 02:36 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 bad earth.