Random coincidence or problem with decat/ fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2016, 11:43 AM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random coincidence or problem with decat/ fuel pump

Heres the backround.....

Recently installed a hrc 255 fuel pump and the ported and wrapped unequal headers ready for remap not within same day (some other parts to go on yet). Went for a little spin and mainly to hear the new sound. While I realise without remap I'm highly likely to run rich but there is now a very bad smell of fuel inside the car. I filled fuel up at the garage and before the nozzle done it's normal click when reaching full all of a sudden there was a huge amount of fuel p***ING from under the car. On the way home the hose from the fuel pressure regulator without me knowing but the smell of fuel got worse and a 20mile journey cost me nearly a 3rd of a tank. Getting home I noticed and sorted the hose. Hoping the smell was just spill from the engine bay coming in through the vents I left it air but seems to be a draft coming from the pump cover while running.

The car has apexi power intake and no 3port evap can as standard, am assuming the vacuum pipe work is correct to accommodate as it's never been an issue until the fuel pump and ported headers and decat.

Any ideas and would reinstalling a 2port evap can as I'm assuming the draft around the fuel pump/ tank is the returning air which would noreally been ported back into the manifold....
Old 11 July 2016, 12:04 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

there are 3 lines coming from the pump cradle, the fuel line, fuel return line and vapour line. maybe you have connected them wrong or the vapour line has slipped off?
Old 11 July 2016, 12:11 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
there are 3 lines coming from the pump cradle, the fuel line, fuel return line and vapour line. maybe you have connected them wrong or the vapour line has slipped off?
I checked to make sure the lines were on correct and not split into the cradle and clamps all nicely fitting. As for mixing them up well I'm sure they were sat in the same place from taking off to soldering in the garage and then fitting but you might be correct. Is there an easy way to check which line is which?
Old 11 July 2016, 12:25 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

both fuel lines should have brown push on plastic connectors and the vapour line should just be a jubilee clip iirc. the fact you say there,s a draft or air from somewhere would indicate something to do with the vapour line i think. im no expert i just replaced my pump a few weeks back so its just what i remember. maybe someone else can pitch in who knows more about them. is the rubber seal on correctly? it can be fiddly and needs to be seated correctly to seal properly.
Old 11 July 2016, 12:54 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
both fuel lines should have brown push on plastic connectors and the vapour line should just be a jubilee clip iirc. the fact you say there,s a draft or air from somewhere would indicate something to do with the vapour line i think. im no expert i just replaced my pump a few weeks back so its just what i remember. maybe someone else can pitch in who knows more about them. is the rubber seal on correctly? it can be fiddly and needs to be seated correctly to seal properly.
I know on the later classics they have the plastic retaining clips but the earlier models (on this one at least) they were only rubber hoses clamped in place. I'll take the cover off again and check but Yeh it would stand to reason the "draft" i's the vapour line.
The rubber seal is on correctly as when I first started to tighten the cradle I noticed it wasn't seated properly so corrected it. Hopefully someone can enlighten me as the Mrs is now paranoid it's gonna blow up and won't go near it ha ha
Old 11 July 2016, 01:12 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

mine is newage so probably slightly different. take the cover off and remove the lines again (use a rag for the fuel which will pi$$ out!) they will have some pressure in them. the vapour line will not have fuel in so that helps identify that one. the other 2 will. from memory on mine looking at the cradle the 2 to the left facing the front of the car were fuel and return line and the 1 to the right was the vapour line.
Old 11 July 2016, 03:59 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Well on my v1/2 classic they all point roughly 4 o'clock but from various places. Just thinking about it I can't have mixed the lines up as the vapour line is smaller I'D than the others and if the car rums find I wouldn't have mixed the send and return lines up :/
What about the huge overflow from the underneath of the car. Have been in my own work in the past and had it glug up the fuel filler to overflow but this was flowing from the tank itself from underneath. Why did I pick a project to use as a daily runner ha ha
Old 14 July 2016, 11:19 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

To add a little more insight..... as the fuel level dropped the smell of fuel did also. Aired it out and was running with no smell. FI'll ed up but only say 3/4 full and the smell i's back. Something has happened between fuel pump change and putting on the ported unequal with trick up-pipe. I know it wI'll be running a little richer but why the smell inside the car just from fueling up.....