Notices

IACV or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2016, 12:48 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default IACV or something else?

160k '02 WRX PPP - have noticed in the last few months that the car is not happy sitting in traffic. Symptoms are a high idle 2k+, that rises from 600rpm when put into neutral when crawling or sitting in traffic a fair while. A blip of the throttle will see it drop back to normal before rising again. Ditto releasing the clutch and putting load on the engine will see the revs drop to normal.

No error codes, no other issues during normal driving. Oddly it only seems to happen when sat in traffic for a while AND it's raining.

Was going to give the IACV a clean and replace the gasket. Is there anything else I should look at? I was thinking that an air leak would be present all the time. The rain factor makes me think it's electrical but not sure what else to test.
Old 24 June 2016, 02:11 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
160k '02 WRX PPP - have noticed in the last few months that the car is not happy sitting in traffic. Symptoms are a high idle 2k+, that rises from 600rpm when put into neutral when crawling or sitting in traffic a fair while. A blip of the throttle will see it drop back to normal before rising again. Ditto releasing the clutch and putting load on the engine will see the revs drop to normal.

No error codes, no other issues during normal driving. Oddly it only seems to happen when sat in traffic for a while AND it's raining.

Was going to give the IACV a clean and replace the gasket. Is there anything else I should look at? I was thinking that an air leak would be present all the time. The rain factor makes me think it's electrical but not sure what else to test.

Could be an air leak somewhere, small enough to have minimal effect under power but affecting tick over.
Old 24 June 2016, 02:15 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I'll check all the pipework as well in that case. Drove 300miles last night and no issues. Only seems to appear when stuck in stop-start traffic for a while.