Notices

Air con tensioner pulley.....Help needed to identify parts

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2016, 05:25 PM
imprezachris88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air con tensioner pulley.....Help needed to identify parts

Help someone please.....I have a 99 turbo uk impreza......cut a long story short, I was out other evening and the bearing inside my air con tensioner pulley shat itself......now here is the problem.....I popped to my local Subaru dealer explaining I need a new air con pulley etc....he says yep no problem will be here tomorrow......well today came and it arrived but wrong parts......he then gives me this diagram of how my air con tensioner pulley set up should be.......

but I don't have the tensioner circled in the above picture????
He hasn't got a clue why either so anyone shed any light for me please?
Here is what a shifty pic of mine looks like

Many thanks
Old 30 March 2016, 06:57 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

I would say at some time the tensioner was broken due to not undoing the lock bolt and was taken off and bodged

Don't know if Scoobyworld sold undersize pulleys (Current CDF ones they sell are std size) which would be another reason for requiring extra tensioner adjustment.

You should be able to obtain the missing pieces from a breaker.

Old 31 March 2016, 04:30 PM
imprezachris88
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
I would say at some time the tensioner was broken due to not undoing the lock bolt and was taken off and bodged

Don't know if Scoobyworld sold undersize pulleys (Current CDF ones they sell are std size) which would be another reason for requiring extra tensioner adjustment.

You should be able to obtain the missing pieces from a breaker.

Cheers mate but not sure its a bodge job cause few cars I have seen have this.......
The Scoobyworld pulley is on the alternator which is fine just changed belt and tensioner on that......it's the white pulley that's died.....
After another inspection I found it does have a tensioner but its nothing like Subaru suggest?? It goes underneath the main air con pulley and comes out other side.......I know other Subaru late classics have this as my mates W reg is also the same as we had bonnet open last eve??
I noticed in the mini project thread that when he gets the engine out of the donor car that also has the same tensioner as mine yet I can't order nish as no one knows why its there lol

You can just see the white pulley poking out.
Old 31 March 2016, 05:12 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

As all classic Imprezas that had A/C fitted from the factory have a similar arrangement from 92 to 2000,

92-93

93-95

95-

I can only suggest that the car originally didn't come with A/C (a lot did, as A/C was a £1500 factory fit option back then) and it's an aftermarket kit which were readily available at that time.

FYI

Part number for idler pulley item 5 is 73131FC000 but it's a grooved pulley, where as yours needs to be smooth as it runs on the back of the belt.

Beyond that afraid I can't help.

Last edited by Don Clark; 31 March 2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01 April 2016, 10:02 AM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

is that white pulley made of plastic??

I had a look at my 'Subaru fast' parts Cd last night, and it lists two parts - one steel and one plastic...
Old 01 April 2016, 03:50 PM
imprezachris88
Scooby Newbie

Yeah white pulley is plastic......seen a few plastic ones from subaru but they all seem to be grooved and I need a smooth one as it sits on back of belt?? Really doing my head in!!! Don't really know what else I can do apart from remove the air con all together??
Old 01 April 2016, 07:18 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Ahh -- I thought maybe the plastic one would be 'smooth' (cant tell from the diagram)

they have these on amazon

Transit Parts UK Focus Idler Pulley Tensioner 90Mm Air Con: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike Transit Parts UK Focus Idler Pulley Tensioner 90Mm Air Con: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Last edited by albob; 01 April 2016 at 07:20 PM.