Notices

Fmic install....stock bov....

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2016, 01:32 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fmic install....stock bov....

Have read the sticky and has helped wonders while installing the fmic and cannot thank kips enough for the thread.

I am having a little dilemma on the bov side of things tho. The take off on the intercooler pipe is 38mm and the stock plastic bov is 20mm +- mm. I can find 90 reducing elbows and straight reducin silicone etc etc but as a connecting piece I was curious if 1" (25mm) copper tube from the brothers plumbing kit would suffice. It can be bend into any angle to connect the elbow and bov but is copper pipe a good choice or should I she'll out on the aluminium connectors that might not be the right angles etc. Any thoughts?
Old 28 May 2016, 09:25 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your intercooler like mine? The silicone reducing elbow works well on mine
Old 28 May 2016, 11:42 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

As long as it is sealed properly, if soldered I would give the inside a good clean to ensure no chance of any bits getting into the engine. Silicon would look nicer and could be matched in colour to other hoses.
Old 29 May 2016, 12:34 AM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Mine is the v1/2 exactly as in the sticky on install. However I have the v1/2 plastic blow off valve rather than the v4/5.
I was thinking mostly silicone but where a long run between the bov take off and intake return is I would need about 300mm or so connecting pipe so though silicone reducing elbow into copper pipe for majority of run into silicone reducing straight into bov. Will post a pic of final design once it's completed
Old 29 May 2016, 07:16 AM
matt12
Scooby Regular

Name:  image_7.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  265.4 KB

This is what I did with mine, v2! Using reducing silicone hoses and alloy pipes, all bought from autosiliconehoses, they seem to have everything you could want, can't remember off the top of my head exactly what I bought but if you scroll through everything you will find what you need
Old 29 May 2016, 07:47 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copper pipe is 28mm not 25mm.

And unless you have a proper floor standing bender you won't shape it without flattening it.
Old 29 May 2016, 11:34 AM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt12

This is what I did with mine, v2! Using reducing silicone hoses and alloy pipes, all bought from autosiliconehoses, they seem to have everything you could want, can't remember off the top of my head exactly what I bought but if you scroll through everything you will find what you need
I've managed to find pretty much what I need from the same via eBay. How long is that silicon pipe from dv to intake that's the only bit I'm curious as I don't wanna order too short but wanna go ott and she'll out for a meter if I will waste. Looking at yours I think I'll scrap the copper pipe idea as it looks very neat.

As for copper pipe then yes I had internal diameter for copper pipe instead of a counting for the wall thickness but the same shop do reducers from 28mm and I have the relevant plumbing kit ie.benders as he is a decebt plumber
Old 29 May 2016, 12:02 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Evansawd
I've managed to find pretty much what I need from the same via eBay. How long is that silicon pipe from dv to intake that's the only bit I'm curious as I don't wanna order too short but wanna go ott and she'll out for a meter if I will waste. Looking at yours I think I'll scrap the copper pipe idea as it looks very neat.

As for copper pipe then yes I had internal diameter for copper pipe instead of a counting for the wall thickness but the same shop do reducers from 28mm and I have the relevant plumbing kit ie.benders as he is a decebt plumber
He has a 28mm pipe bender? Must be the only plumber in the world that has one!!! I've yet to meet someone who has one lol. Props to him then..
Old 29 May 2016, 12:08 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Well it's 1" pipe that he bends perfectly fine regardless of the internal or external diameters. This is what I would have been using with silicone reducers of any description as are available so what does it matter.....!!!
Old 29 May 2016, 12:30 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Well it's 1" pipe that he bends perfectly fine regardless of the internal or external diameters. This is what I would have been using with silicone reducers of any description as are available so what does it matter.....!!!
What's with the attitude?
Old 29 May 2016, 12:37 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

No attitude just not sure why him being a decent plumber with the right kit matters to the bending of standard 1" pipe that would have fit 25mm I'D silicone pipe.
Old 29 May 2016, 12:46 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

No attitude just not sure why him being a decent plumber with the right kit matters to the bending of standard 1" pipe that would have fit 25mm I'D silicone pipe.
Take a chill pill dude. It's a forum. For conversation. I made a positive comment that you have access to the right kit for the job.

Put your handbag away..
Old 29 May 2016, 12:59 PM
matt12
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure from memory it was a metre length I had to order, yes a bit of waste but don't think the pipe was all that expensive, don't think they sell anything shorter that's long enough, I'll try and dig out a receipt later this evening of it helps just for comparison to what I ordered
Old 29 May 2016, 02:00 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure from memory it was a metre length I had to order, yes a bit of waste but don't think the pipe was all that expensive, don't think they sell anything shorter that's long enough, I'll try and dig out a receipt later this evening of it helps just for comparison to what I ordered
So far I've got in basket....

90° bend 38mm -> 25mm
50mm length of aluminium joiner OD 25mm
1m length 25mm ID silicone
2x 60mm ID silicon (one missing from 2nd hand FMIC tubing and one for the extra cut

Also need the reducing connector from throttle body to tubing. Any ideas off the top of head the throttle body diameter to order reducer.
Old 29 May 2016, 02:15 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

So far I've got in basket....

90° bend 38mm -> 25mm
50mm length of aluminium joiner OD 25mm
1m length 25mm ID silicone
2x 60mm ID silicon (one missing from 2nd hand FMIC tubing and one for the extra cut

Also need the reducing connector from throttle body to tubing. Any ideas off the top of head the throttle body diameter to order reducer.
I've got 2 here.

70-60mm used on my fmic on my v3.

Cover postage and you can have ithe mate.
Old 29 May 2016, 02:26 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Take a chill pill dude. It's a forum. For conversation. I made a positive comment that you have access to the right kit for the job.

Put your handbag away..
Sorry, no attitude intended, I often read into things wrong and assume people are being ***** when they probably aren't. Mrs always goes on about it. Thought you were being facetious but reading it again Yeh maybe you weren't lol.
Old 30 May 2016, 07:40 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's how I used to have mine fitted.
Old 30 May 2016, 07:45 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Current set up on mine.

Using a late classic standard recirc, and a home made adaptor plate.

Keeps the pipework much shorter.