Notices

2003 jdm speedo not working

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2016, 03:14 PM
Wish_I_had_my_old_acct
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 jdm speedo not working

Guys had a bit of carnage on a jdm 2003 sti that i recently purchased. Car has a juddery clutch soon to be fixed and various other minor niggles. Had a 150ma drain on the battery which was down to the tracker which I have removed. During the finding of the tracker I had the dash out glove compartment etc. Thus then caused a no start as the clifford G5 with intellistart had a loose wire in one of the harness plugs. Got this fixed and thought that was the end of it but didnt drive car.Also changed radiator as that was leaking near the top pipe. Whilst rad out changed aux belts and gave engine a clean with fluid and jetwash. Car started fine a no CEL. Took car out today and havent got any speedo and car in limp mode. Have disconnected wiring to VSS sensor about 10cm forward of the gearbox dipstick and there is no corrosion there. So anyone got any hints can you take the vss sensor out without and clean it? Perhaps water got in it? Have read somewhere that you cant take it out without pulling gearbox! But not sure if that is this model and if you can just take the plastic top part off. Only other thing I found during the tracker finding expedition was one wire that had been spliced during the alarm install back in 2004 that went to the connector behind the steering column into the blackbox that is there this had come off and ended up being a bit of guess work to find where it went maybe that has caused the issue, what is the black box behind the column, the wire was spliced into the blue connector black and green stripe wire.
Old 26 March 2016, 04:39 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The black box will be the mph converter id be looking there first
Old 26 March 2016, 05:29 PM
Wish_I_had_my_old_acct
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Jay, the black box is OEM it is something to do with central locking and general dash gubbins it has two large oem connectors on it. I have removed the pink wire (that is not oem connecting between an unused connector and the black oem box) that I used an educated guess to re-solder and speedo is back working :-) However still got the mystery wire that should go somewhere. What I notice now is the red LED that I think is the immoboliser on the factory dash now does not come on when I put the key in the ignition so guess the mystery pink wire is something to do with that.

Attached are some pictures

So here is the black box that is oem the pink wire in the following picture I though was connected to the 2nd wire on the blue plug but this broke the speedo.

https://www.scoobynet.com/attachment...1&d=1459009525

And here is where the pink wire comes from, it comes from an oem plug that was not plugged into anything you can see where it is scotch locked on.

https://www.scoobynet.com/attachment...1&d=1459009525

So to confirm the 2nd picture the white plug was not plugged in anywhere, the green and yellow wire with the scotch lock on is the infamous pink wire that was not connected anywhere, this went towards the oem blue plug in the first picture and it looked like it may have been connected to the 2nd row of connectors 2nd wire in which had been spliced by guess the alarm engineer there are 2 heavy gauge white wires that have been spliced into the first and 2nd cable on this plug. Took a guess that it went to this 2nd wire as the black tap had a gap where I thought the wire went.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2931.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	20374   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2930.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	20375  

Last edited by Wish_I_had_my_old_acct; 26 March 2016 at 05:57 PM.