Notices

Direnza wheel spacers safe?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2015, 09:52 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Direnza wheel spacers safe?

Looking at 15-20mm rear spacers on my impreza. Are these hub centric spacers where the aluminuim spacer is bolted on and then the wheel bolts on it separate studs tapped into the spacer safe? Any reported failures? I want my car to be 100% safe and reliable when it comes to wheels falling off.
Old 07 December 2015, 11:05 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Personally I don't rate spacers tbh places a lot of stress on the wheel bearings
Old 08 December 2015, 03:48 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im interested to know the same.
Old 08 December 2015, 08:49 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve001
Personally I don't rate spacers tbh places a lot of stress on the wheel bearings
Ive ran wheels with the offset I will create with spacers for two years now and not had any issues? Now im on std wheels and Id like to poke them out a bit, same as the last wheels.
Wheel bearings wasn't my concern, more the aluminium failing.
Old 11 December 2015, 03:33 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running 20mm spacers on my Hawk STI

I done a lot of research on this subject as I did have concerns about strain on the wheel bearings etc. The conclusion was as long as their hub-centric spacers they will be fine, as far as stress on the bearings go, yes they may add a minimal amount of strain but a 20mm spacer is not to extreme

And found not one claim that wheel spacers were the cause of wheel bearing failure, although they may reduce the expected life of them, if it worries you that much put new wheels bearings in the same time as you fit the spacers.
Old 11 December 2015, 03:39 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S3LDM
I am running 20mm spacers on my Hawk STI

I done a lot of research on this subject as I did have concerns about strain on the wheel bearings etc. The conclusion was as long as their hub-centric spacers they will be fine, as far as stress on the bearings go, yes they may add a minimal amount of strain but a 20mm spacer is not to extreme

And found not one claim that wheel spacers were the cause of wheel bearing failure, although they may reduce the expected life of them, if it worries you that much put new wheels bearings in the same time as you fit the spacers.
Cheers for share your experience.

Just wondering, what brand spacer did you use? Did you do the front and back?

I'm thinking about doing just the back.
Old 11 December 2015, 03:49 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

No Problem

I used H&R Hub-centric wheel spacers 20mm on the front and the back they were not cheap and cost me £205.00 delivered, but you get what you pay for and given that they are holding your wheels on you don’t want cheap rubbish from ebay

Name:  16DDAA4E-7CF2-4C9E-96EB-CAE43B5730F0_zpsegrj9wqv.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  111.8 KB
Old 12 December 2015, 12:21 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

No Problem

I used H&R Hub-centric wheel spacers 20mm on the front and the back they were not cheap and cost me £205.00 delivered, but you get what you pay for and given that they are holding your wheels on you don’t want cheap rubbish from ebay

So is that with longer studs or are the studs screwed into the spacer?
Old 12 December 2015, 02:41 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
So is that with longer studs or are the studs screwed into the spacer?
Studs are part of the spacer, you fit them on the hub with the bolts supplied with the spacers. Fit the wheels and use your original wheel nuts to secure the wheel to the spacers
Old 12 December 2015, 07:13 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Studs are part of the spacer, you fit them on the hub with the bolts supplied with the spacers. Fit the wheels and use your original wheel nuts to secure the wheel to the spacers
So you have utter confidence the aluminium won't give way then? Have they stood up well to hard launches and track days ok?
Old 12 December 2015, 07:35 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

So you have utter confidence the aluminium won't give way then? Have they stood up well to hard launches and track days ok?
Well H&R are a well respected company so I Imagine they have Vigourously tested there products.

I have no intention of putting my car on track or driving like a maniac on the roads, I have used launch control since my spaces are fitted, but yet again this feature doesn't get used very often on my car, all seem's well. I have had the wheels off and checked everything twice since fitting the spacers.

When I carried out my research into the space pro's & cons I had feedback off two people who have used spacers on the track numerous times and had no problems to report

Last edited by S3LDM; 13 December 2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 13 December 2015, 08:33 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Well H&R are a well respected company so I Imagine they have Vigourously tested there products.

I have no intention of putting my car on track or driving like a maniac on the roads, I have used launch control since my spaces are fitted, but yet again this feature doesn't get used very often on my car, all seem's well. As I have had the wheels off and check everything twice since as I have had the wheels off and checked everything twice since fitting the spacers.

When I carried out my research into the space pro's & cons as I had feedback off two people who have used with spaces on track numerous times and had no problems to report
Well I plan on using my car hard, so they need to be strong
Old 13 December 2015, 08:56 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Well I plan on using my car hard, so they need to be strong
Make sure you buy good quality ones then
Old 13 December 2015, 03:38 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Surley they are all made of 6082 t6?
Old 13 December 2015, 06:32 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Surley they are all made of 6082 t6?
Do your own research.!
Old 13 December 2015, 07:20 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Do your own research.!
Is that not what I'm doing on here asking for peoples experiences and advise?
Old 13 December 2015, 07:22 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

What is "good quality" then? It's only a plate with a few holes in it so I'm guessing material spec is the only quality control item (along with gauging the threads with a go-no go plug gauge of course)
Or do you base quality soley on price?
Old 13 December 2015, 07:36 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Therewill be issues with a lot of wheels and spacers unless you have recesses in the back of the wheels....

If you want wheel spacers then you are looking for them use Projects Kics ones. Flush mount wheel nuts etc, they are really top quality. Avoid CDF stuff, poor quality product and even worse customer service....
Old 13 December 2015, 09:25 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Therewill be issues with a lot of wheels and spacers unless you have recesses in the back of the wheels....

If you want wheel spacers then you are looking for them use Projects Kics ones. Flush mount wheel nuts etc, they are really top quality. Avoid CDF stuff, poor quality product and even worse customer service....
Cool, another option was adjustable lateral control arms
Old 14 December 2015, 09:23 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Is that not what I'm doing on here asking for peoples experiences and advise?
Yes I suppose so

And so am I thats why I suggested H&R spacers in my earlier post
Old 14 December 2015, 09:38 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

What is "good quality" then? It's only a plate with a few holes in it so I'm guessing material spec is the only quality control item (along with gauging the threads with a go-no go plug gauge of course)
Or do you base quality soley on price?
As with every purchase I make I do my research and source parts from a reputable manufacturer which H&R are, they have a lot of good quality products from spacers to Springs

The spacers are and lightweight aluminium/magnesium alloy and TUC approved, they are also Hard anodized for greater surface hardness and corrosion resistance
Old 19 December 2015, 06:34 PM
chrisflorey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV

Please explain this for me . Have you had experience with our wheel spacers ?

Our spacers are made from 6082t6 stress and stretch relieved aluminium . Not only that our are the only spacers hard anodised to a military grade.
If you have had a problem with our product it would of been best to report this to us rather than spreading rumours . We have zero reported issues with our spacers
Old 19 December 2015, 07:36 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisflorey
Please explain this for me . Have you had experience with our wheel spacers ?

Our spacers are made from 6082t6 stress and stretch relieved aluminium . Not only that our are the only spacers hard anodised to a military grade.
If you have had a problem with our product it would of been best to report this to us rather than spreading rumours . We have zero reported issues with our spacers
Well that is blatantly a lie Chris....

As you have had issues with my set of spacers.... I don't want to get into a slanging match on a public forum, I. Can post the emails if you would prefer.

I would advise adjusting your advertising "we have never had a problem with any of our spacers" isn't strictly true. As you have had at least one. Mine.

I would avoid cdf as the product could have been made better/repaired easily. However the attitude that came with it was not required, and the over 6mths to get a refund out of you wasn't all that great either .......

That ismy last post on the issue. Avoid CDF at all costs, there areplenty of other companies that make the exact same product to a similar or better quality, and you want get the ballache that goes with it.
Old 19 December 2015, 07:50 PM
chrisflorey
Scooby Regular

Please can you tell me your name so I can search my emails and find out what happened with your order .

QUOTE=JGlanzaV;11773213]Well that is blatantly a lie Chris....

As you have had issues with my set of spacers.... I don't want to get into a slanging match on a public forum, I. Can post the emails if you would prefer.

I would advise adjusting your advertising "we have never had a problem with any of our spacers" isn't strictly true. As you have had at least one. Mine.

I would avoid cdf as the product could have been made better/repaired easily. However the attitude that came with it was not required, and the over 6mths to get a refund out of you wasn't all that great either .......

That ismy last post on the issue. Avoid CDF at all costs, there areplenty of other companies that make the exact same product to a similar or better quality, and you want get the ballache that goes with it.[/QUOTE]